Gransnet forums

Health

Upper Endoscopy

(53 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 03-Jan-20 14:30:30

Anyone had this procedure, whether it be with throat spray or sedation /Both interested to hear your experience

Oopsminty Fri 03-Jan-20 14:32:17

I had one early last year

It was a breeze

I opted for sedation because I didn't have to drive

Doodledog Fri 03-Jan-20 14:39:27

I've had them, and opted for both 'sedation' and anaesthetic throat spray (ie both at once).

The sedation doesn't knock you out, but relaxes you, and if you are lucky you don't remember the procedure when you 'come round'. The throat spray numbs the area, so you really don't feel the tube go down.

There are plenty of ways that I would rather spend an afternoon, but they aren't as bad as they sound.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 03-Jan-20 14:45:21

I have this procedure about every 3 years and I can honestly say I would never ever have it done again without sedation and just the throat spray. It was awful. Sedation just relaxes you, it did twice send me into a doze but that was it, along with a throat spray. That is my experience.

helenrowena Fri 03-Jan-20 14:52:46

I had it done without sedation or throat spray because I had to drive myself there and then home again.

If I had to do it again I would opt for sedation as I didn`t realise how big the tube was going to be, but once it got over the tongue and actually down inside it wasn`t so bad,

They did a biopsy which I didn`t feel.

MissAdventure Fri 03-Jan-20 14:53:33

I had the sedation, and the last thing I remember was saying "Oh, this is strong sedation..." and then I woke up and it was all done.

Exactly how I would have planned it, because I was absolutely terrified!

GagaJo Fri 03-Jan-20 14:56:05

I had it with just throat spray (because I had to be up and out immediately afterwards). It was fine.

Susan56 Fri 03-Jan-20 15:03:14

I had it done with just the throat spray.If I have to have it done again,I will opt for sedation purely as it relaxes which I think I would find helpful.

Gagagran Fri 03-Jan-20 15:37:57

I had it done with the throat spray (tasted like banana) but did have a few puffs of entinox first. Would do that again if I needed another. The thought of it was far worse than the reality and I also had biopsies taken which I didn't feel at all.

Urmstongran Fri 03-Jan-20 16:27:28

I had it done a few years ago. Throat spray. Then the mask/metal that makes you look like Hannibal Lecter. Then I panicked and yanked the tube out. The endoscopy nurse was rightly cross with me as I could have harmed myself apparently. But a panic is a panic. It’s not rational behaviour is it?

If I ever had to have one in future I’d have to go for sedation!

midgey Fri 03-Jan-20 16:30:30

I would go for throat spray, you can get up and go immediately. The dread is much worse than the experience! It really doesn’t take too long.

endlessstrife Fri 03-Jan-20 16:44:12

I had one. The throat spray is not quite as good as the sedation, in that you gag more, but other than that, I didn’t notice much difference, and you can go straight home, rather than waiting for the sedation to wear off. About an hour give or take.

endlessstrife Fri 03-Jan-20 16:46:24

Meant to say, I’ve had two, but was sedated the first time, because I had to have a colonoscopy as well. That’s how I know with and without sedation. Good luck.

hulahoop Fri 03-Jan-20 16:51:38

I just had throat spray two gulps and tube was down it wasn't as bad as i thought everyone is different though .

annep1 Fri 03-Jan-20 17:10:58

Oh gosh. I have to ring tomorrow to arrange one. I've been putting it off. I'm not reassured at all.

Jusf realised tomorrow's Saturday. I can put it off until Monday 😕

Sparklefizz Fri 03-Jan-20 17:23:18

I had it done without sedation because I could not get someone to take me home afterwards and another time I would definitely choose sedation. It doesn't take long for the procedure and I am not a panicky person but it was very hard trying to swallow the tube and I couldn't speak for an hour or so afterwards because my throat felt so bruised.

Definitely choose sedation if that is convenient.

MissAdventure Fri 03-Jan-20 17:25:51

I have heard more people saying to take the sedation.
You still get sent home as soon as you're 'with it'.

DillytheGardener Fri 03-Jan-20 17:32:04

Definitely sedation!!

suey Fri 03-Jan-20 17:39:35

I have had two/I hated the first as I felt I couldnt breathe and gagged a lot.
The second i had sedation. Perfect.

annep1 Fri 03-Jan-20 17:50:11

Definitely sedation then. General anaesthetic wasn't really offered. The consultant just kind of dismissed the idea.

Luckygirl Fri 03-Jan-20 18:19:03

I have had 3 - two with sedation; and the last one with no sedation but several puffs of entonox to get through the horrid swallowing bit - it was fine and I was able to drive home.

Throat spray every time - it did not seem to be optional.

Please do not worry TrendyNannie6 - it is not how you would choose to spend your day; but it really is not too bad at all.

Nanna58 Sat 04-Jan-20 09:47:29

Hi Trendynannie6, have had two, both with sedation. Dreaded the first but it was fine so didn’t worry at all about the second. But with sedation they do ask you have someone with you for 24 hrs after.

Nanna58 Sat 04-Jan-20 09:49:30

PS think we’ve had similar health issues on other posts - you sure we’re not twins!!👭

harrigran Sat 04-Jan-20 10:12:08

I have had quite a few of these and none of them have been pleasant even with sedation. The NHS have cut back on the amount of sedation they administer.
The most comfortable procedures have been the ones I had done privately, very expensive but treated in a caring manner.

vinasol Sat 04-Jan-20 10:32:26

Throat spray for me as I wanted to drive home.