Gransnet forums

Health

Upper Endoscopy

(54 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 03-Jan-20 14:30:30

Anyone had this procedure, whether it be with throat spray or sedation /Both interested to hear your experience

endlessstrife Sun 05-Jan-20 20:02:34

I’ve got a bleeding disorder, and had to have my stomach and bowel checked. I had a haematoma in my stomach which was treated at the time.

lucywinter Sun 05-Jan-20 22:15:10

When I was at my DD's house today, her partner's father was there. He is the same age as me, 78, and he has been, and is, really poorly. He has had several endoscopies and is having another one on Tuesday. He is not at all bothered at the thought of having it. He said the sedation puts him out and the next thing he knows, they are waking him up. So that doesn't sound too bad, but I still hope I can go on avoiding one.

annep1 Mon 06-Jan-20 23:13:04

I rang our local hospital today to see what the NHS waiting time was. I had my last endoscopy there and they gave me a GA and were so nice.
The waiting time for an emergency appointment is 24 weeks. Non-emergency is 46 weeks!
Guess I'll have to stick with private.
I've booked a second consultation to discuss how nervous I am as he seemed in a rush last time and wouldn't discuss it. Easy money, 2 (short) consultations £270. Luckily my health plan will cover one consultation and the endoscopy. I know the post isnt about waiting times, but I would hate to be waiting 46 weeks. It's ridiculous.