Gransnet forums

Health

Toothache

(10 Posts)
Sheena Tue 07-Jan-20 15:04:47

Big thank you to you all for your responses... much appreciated thanks

cornergran Mon 06-Jan-20 21:02:57

Oh bluebelle’s, that’s a shame. So, if that experience is now a nationwide policy then referral would need to be made by the dentist. Shame. I may have been lucky with my GP or perhaps procedures have changed.

BlueBelle Mon 06-Jan-20 20:43:33

My doctor refused to help when I asked for her opinion as I was getting nowhere with the dentist She assured me doctors have nothing to do with dental problems although I was asking as I didn’t think it was a dental problem but a jaw problem but she wouldn’t play ball at all

cornergran Mon 06-Jan-20 20:37:24

Trips to the dentist are way down my list of happy things to do sheena. Necessary evil I guess. I had similar pain issues some years ago, my dentist was clear there were no dental problems. On his advice my GP referred to the maxillofacial consultant at the hospital who could also find nothing amiss. He assured me that unexplained dental/facial pain was common, reviewed me each 6 months until the pain disappeared which was like the sun coming out. It does come back from time to time but usually only lasts a short while. The consultant said a ‘neuralgia-like condition’. It might be worth asking for a dental second opinion or see your GP explaining the dentist can find no cause for the pain and ask for onward referral.

NanaandGrampy Mon 06-Jan-20 20:22:54

I’m another for whom a visit to the dentist leaves me panic stricken . I was wondering if perhaps some of your pain is some type of neuralgia rather than a tooth issue?

I don’t have any other ideas I’m afraid . Just wishing you good luck x

shandi6570 Mon 06-Jan-20 19:04:01

Be aware of very nice dentists, I had one a few years ago, she was nice and gentle, I was so thankful because I started having lots of teeth problems, had to have two out at separate times, got lots of pain from another area in my mouth, nothing found, went to doctors on her advice, still nothing found. I was told I needed some root canal treatment and very reluctantly agreed, the day came and when I arrived for the appointment she was away and the surgery owner was to do the treatment. After looking in my mouth and at the x rays that had been taken she would not do the work and prescribed me some anti biotics and told me to come back if I was still in pain once the course was finished. The pain went and the next thing I heard was that my 'lovely, caring' dentist had suddenly left the surgery, I was devastated, what would I do now with so many painful problems. Yes, you've guessed, the problems disappeared almost immediately and I haven't had any trouble since?. Could be a coincidence, but it has left me feeling very nervous of dentists and wondering what on earth went on during that time.

BlueBelle Mon 06-Jan-20 18:31:27

I didn’t want to read and run just wanted to say how sorry I am for you I m a bit phobic as well and had a terrible time a couple of years ago and made a wonderful friend on here who commiserated with me and has been my friend ever since That doesn’t help your situation have you used clove oil as well as the paracetamol etc Are you sure there isn’t an infection buzzing away Unfortunately I think you do need to go back
Good luck will be thinking if you x

Hotmama Mon 06-Jan-20 18:19:11

Just offering sympathy. Toothache is awful and I had a terrible time a couple of months ago after an extraction. I developed ‘dry socket’ and it was the worse pain ever so I know how you feel. Make sure you let the dentist know how nervous you are and they should take that into account and treat you accordingly. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Doodledog Mon 06-Jan-20 18:14:17

I have incipient toothache, and know I must go to a dentist, but am also phobic after traumatic experiences as a child.

I managed to stave off the pain with paracetamol over Christmas, but I know that if the real 'boring into the jaw' pain starts then OTC painkillers won't touch it.

I sympathise. I wish I could wake up with a set of perfect teeth and no need to see a dentist ever again, but it is not to be. I need to bite the proverbial bullet and find a dentist very soon.

Sheena Mon 06-Jan-20 17:19:32

Oh I am so fed up .. wretched toothache. Nearly 7 weeks ago I had a tooth extracted as I couldn’t bear the thought of root canal treatment. The offending tooth reacted to anything hot touching it and was so painful... so out it came. However the tooth next to it feels just the same and I still can’t stand anything remotely hot touching it. The ache from that and the extraction is horrid.

But the worse thing is that I have such pain in my top molar too.. the dentist knows about this.. has x rayed it and can’t see anything wrong.. but oh hells teeth it aches.
I’ve been taking ibuprofen and paracetamol alternately daily.. and each day hoping and praying it will disappear. It helps holding a hot water bottle to my face, and funnily though it doesn’t bother me at night thank goodness.

I know I must go back to the dentist but as I am totally phobic about going hence I keep putting it off, but it’s horrid.
I changed to this dentist a year ago thinking it was so much nicer than where I had been going, but each time I’ve been it’s been so traumatic I could cry.

Feel sorry for myself , and I apologise for the winge.
I know there are many people out there with far greater worries and problems, but I can feel the panic rising and know I must go back as something is going wrong.

Any other toothache sufferers out there ?