Gransnet forums

Health

Sailed through menopause

(106 Posts)
grannymy Fri 17-Jan-20 12:17:55

Often when reading posts about women who have had a hellish time going through their menopause it makes me feel exceptionally lucky. I don't believe I had any symptoms whatsoever. I also received a partial hysterectomy because I had a cyst on an ovary and was warned that afterwards I might need to take HRT. I had no need to as I didn't feel any different. Anyone else like me and had no symptoms?

Fiachna50 Sun 09-Feb-20 23:36:29

I have reported the above post and asked for it to be removed.

mike28939 Sun 09-Feb-20 23:31:20

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Fiachna50 Fri 07-Feb-20 10:39:06

You are all very fortunate, mine was absolute hell. Good luck to you all. I' m glad none of you suffered like I did. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

KarenDerna Fri 07-Feb-20 08:10:30

I'm glad that I am not the only one who has not even noticed menopause. I had a hysterectomy aged 42, my ovaries were left intact. But as I had no periods I had no idea if I had gone through the menopause. I'm 61 next month so it must have happened by now. Just feel very lucky I that respect. I also commiserate with women who have such an awful time with it

Esspee Mon 20-Jan-20 05:17:17

Having a surgical menopause at 40 I was immediately given oestrogen implants. On them I feel wonderful and my bone density remains robust so, over 30 years later, I am still on HRT and will be for the rest of my life.

FlexibleFriend Sun 19-Jan-20 19:20:24

I was a very fit and healthy woman who thought I'd sail through my menopause because I sailed through everything in life. Not so sadly, so far I've had 15 years of hell, heavy bleeding, constant sweating day and night, aching joints etc etc. I've undergone so many gynae investigations and procedures that I've lost count. I nearly died twice losing over half my blood volume and going into hypervolemic shock, so yeah for me it was not only a medical condition but a life threatening medical condition. Hrt caused it's own problems by triggering my auto immune condition which has caused me to have three strokes and a massive internal bleed which again nearly killed me. It sounds daft but my menopause has left me disabled and unable to work, still at least it means I get paid higher rate Pip, which with my two private pensions mean I can afford not to work. So if you sailed through it good for you but don't run away with the idea it was because you did something right it was just down to luck. Some people win the lottery and sailing through your menopause is the same thing, it doesn't require skill or any special talent just bloody good luck.

SalsaQueen Sun 19-Jan-20 17:46:42

Some women are so lucky! I started having terribly heavy and long (6 weeks at a time) periods, flooding, etc., at the age of about 55. I was referred to hospital, had to undergo womb biopsies (the worst pain I've ever known) on 6 occasions, had various different hormone tablets, was anaemic for 8 months. Eventually, I had my last period 15 months ago...........at the age of 59 then

Freespirit2015 Sun 19-Jan-20 17:27:43

I too scarcely noticed that my periods had stopped dead at the age of 40, as I was busy embarking on a degree course which I finished successfully with a 2/1. Some years later, I had a bleed which was something of a surprise, and friends suggested that I should see my GP, as this could have a sinister cause. My female GP was more concerned by the fact that I'd had such an early menopause followed by several years without a period, which could lead to osteoporosis in later life. She strongly suggested that I take HRT, which I did for a few years, but then with her consent, stopped taking it having read that the tablet I was taking could lead to breast cancer. Since then, no further bleeds and none of the usual symptoms experienced by others. I do however take a supplement of Calcium with Vit D to help prevent bone density loss.

Madwoman11 Sun 19-Jan-20 12:52:41

Nothing dreadful, but sleep problems ever since and it's been 12 years. I also seemed to age quicker, and have multiple health problems. Maybe just bad luck for me

lizzypopbottle Sat 18-Jan-20 20:23:34

My periods were never regular but, approaching the menopause, the clicked in every twenty eight days! I knew something was in the offing! Then they dropped to every two months, then four in a year, then two, then nothing. I had no other symptoms at all. I was 52 when my periods stopped. My mother told me she had a hot flush, didn't like it and vowed never to have another. She stuck to that. I had none. ?

SirChenjin Sat 18-Jan-20 20:22:20

Well said MamaCaz

glammagran Sat 18-Jan-20 20:03:12

Periods started at 13. Absolutely hellish until I went on the pill at 17. Fast forward to age 44. Periods (10 days a month) became really heavy again so I could scarcely walk across the kitchen. Severe migraines started up too. I sweated so much I felt like I was standing in a puddle. I started on HRT till I was 51. I then stopped (no more periods) and haven’t been badly affected since. However at 64 my bones and muscles ache constantly so I am tempted to try HRT again.

Grannyhall29 Sat 18-Jan-20 19:48:11

Just had a few sweats but not sure whether they were menopause or not as I have a few other health issues which were undiagnosed at the time and 8 years later I still get really hot at night but I blame my hubby as he swaddles himself all up in the duvet, even around his head with just some of his face peeping out and the heat that radiates off him is unbelievable, also irregular periods but nothing else, feel really lucky

Shizam Sat 18-Jan-20 19:13:41

A useless GP diagnosed my symptoms as the menopause and put me on HRT. Heavy bleeding sent me back to GP. Luckily I saw another doctor. Turned out my symptoms were appendicitis! After they were removed, no more night sweats.

MamaCaz Sat 18-Jan-20 18:39:01

4allweknow
Given all the reports of horror relating to the menopause I too consider myself to have been let off lightly. At times I have wondered if we have just become unwilling to accept what nature intended and cannot cope with or accept this.

I am genuinely very pleased for you and the many others who sail through the menopause without any major problems.

What I cannot stomach are comments that suggest that those of us who are not so lucky are making a mountain put of a molehill, or "unwilling to accept what nature intended".
I am one hundred percent certain that if you had experienced some of the common menopause-related or post-menopausal problems, you too would have turned to a doctor. For instance, to name but one, I can't believe for one minute that you would suffer repeated, extremely painful UTIs without seeking medical help.

Personally, I actually looked forward to the menopause, after constant painful and heavy periods from the age of 12, not to mention related migraines, because many articles I read suggested that the menopause would herald the start of a new liberated life, free of these things. It's true - I no longer have those monthly problems, but they have been replaced by others that are at best as bad, and in many cases much worse!

Lizbethann55 Sat 18-Jan-20 17:57:24

Glad I am not the only one who sailed through it. There is so much in the media these days about how horrendous it is that I was seriously beginning to think I was some sort of weird freak. For me it meant the end of my periods and the resurgence of my labido. Maybe the mass media ought to pay more attention to women like us and stop terrifying the menopause approaching generation. Give them some hope that it needn't be totally dreadful

grannybuy Sat 18-Jan-20 17:33:21

Notanan2, my periods stopped when I was 51/52, but I had no major symptoms. I was teaching children with learning difficulties at the time, and my boss wanted me to do a Post
Graduate certificate in Special Needs Education. I wasn't keen, as I would be doing it while teaching, with only one week per module at university. However, I was persuaded, and completed it with a 2/1. I then applied for, and got, a promotion as teacher in charge of a special needs unit. It was all a lot of hard work, but glad I did it, so go for it if you currently feel able. I worked until I was 65.

Shelmiss Sat 18-Jan-20 17:12:26

I’ve been on low dose HRT now for 7 years and I love it. No hot flushes or heart palpitations anymore. I came off it a couple of years ago to see what would happen and the symptoms came back with a vengeance! Went back on it straight away.

I’m well informed on all the pros and cons of taking it and decided the benefits far outweigh any potential risks.

Unfortunately it’s not a cure all and I still have brain fog. But I managed to go to university and do a masters so something must still be working in that old brain of mine.

4allweknow Sat 18-Jan-20 17:03:47

Given all the reports of horror relating to the menopause I too consider myself to have been let off lightly. At times I have wondered if we have just become unwilling to accept what nature intended and cannot cope with or accept this.

HiPpyChick57 Sat 18-Jan-20 17:01:31

Around the age of 42 my periods became practically non existent.i thought I was peri menopausal but the Dr checked my hormone levels and said they were normal. At 43 I became pregnant with my daughter and never saw a period since. I don’t know if I caught on the change and it just stopped or if someday it’s going to rear it’s ugly head and catch up with me. I’m 62 now and have never had any symptoms and reading what quite a few of you have said regarding experiencing little or no symptoms I’m hoping that this is the case with me and that I have actually been through the menopause and that it’s not going to take me by surprise anytime soon ??

Keeper1 Sat 18-Jan-20 16:47:17

I sailed through the menopause however a few years down the road I have atrophy which has caused a thinning of the vaginal lining, soreness recurring thrush and irritation and it is awful. They are trying to do something about it but it is slow going.

Celendine Sat 18-Jan-20 16:27:53

I found the menopause liberating. I was told by my mother that it she found it a life stage, freedom from all kinds of nappies. She said her grandmother had told her that too.
I feel like a little girl, my periods made me anaemic and like a ghost.
What I do dislike is the expectation of it being a difficult time. Similar to the horror stories about childbirth I heard as a pregnant mum

grannymy Sat 18-Jan-20 16:09:22

My mum had horrendous hot flushes and I assumed I might be the same. Thankfully it didn't happen.

SirChenjin Sat 18-Jan-20 16:03:52

‘Those’ include me, and no, I’m not in the middle of a mood swing or hot flush. That’s the kind of dismissive put down of middle aged women that really doesn’t really help.

Bbbface Sat 18-Jan-20 15:56:20

Those picking apart the statement re menopausal lobby are perhaps in the midst of a menopause related mood swing or hot flush! grin