Gransnet forums

Health

Sailed through menopause

(106 Posts)
grannymy Fri 17-Jan-20 12:17:55

Often when reading posts about women who have had a hellish time going through their menopause it makes me feel exceptionally lucky. I don't believe I had any symptoms whatsoever. I also received a partial hysterectomy because I had a cyst on an ovary and was warned that afterwards I might need to take HRT. I had no need to as I didn't feel any different. Anyone else like me and had no symptoms?

SirChenjin Fri 17-Jan-20 19:26:00

Exactly what and who is this menopause lobby and campaign that has over egged its cause? confused

eazybee Fri 17-Jan-20 19:28:32

Yes, I had very few problems; I can't remember when it was or how long it lasted.

Jane10 Fri 17-Jan-20 19:48:40

I have no idea why I had such an easy time and can only put it down to genes or just plain good luck. The 'menopause industry' I referred to is the one that had me panicking as menopause approached - all the books, the celebrity interviews, the special diets and supplements etc etc.
I bought them all. Thought this will be the end of life as I know it. It was in a way. It was better. Not meaning to be smug. However, this is the only positive thread I've ever seen re menopause. I thought I was a freak!

Sara65 Fri 17-Jan-20 21:41:44

I had no symptoms, my periods just stopped. I can’t even remember exactly how old I was.

SirChenjin Fri 17-Jan-20 21:55:26

The menopause ‘industry’ is like every other one that relates to a condition and I’m very glad it exists. It’s so wide ranging, varies from woman to woman and can have debilitating effect on so many aspects of your life. If women didn’t have access to this vital information it would be a terrible backwards step to a time when it wasn’t discussed or women were treated for madness or hysteria.

M0nica Fri 17-Jan-20 22:01:25

The difficulty with this subject, as with a number of other subjects. If your experience of something, MiL's, DiL's, loving AC or whatever has been good where there are many threads talking about what happens when these things go wrong, to say that your experience has been good, inevitably leds to others describing you as either smug or triumphalist - the menopause is another such subject. Yet surely the witness of those for whom things have gone well is as valid and has as much right to be heard as that of those who have had problems.

SirChenjin Fri 17-Jan-20 22:14:12

Of course every experience is valid - but thank goodness for all the help and advice to support those of us who need it. If you didn’t need it then count yourself very lucky and be grateful you didn’t smile

notanan2 Fri 17-Jan-20 23:09:41

This is good to hear. Did those of you who "sailed through" have pre/perimenopause symptoms before hand?
I've had a lot of hormonal changes the last few years but still have periods

Agree that there is a "menopause" industry and it has me convinced that Im hurtling towards years of doom! The ads that I get as pop-ups for menopause vests literally say "menopause is hell" - direct quote!

notanan2 Fri 17-Jan-20 23:12:23

I get what youre saying SirChenjin but it is good to hear a range of experiences.

My HR provides menopause group therapy. Which I agree for some must be great. But for those of us on the cusp it does make me feel like Im about to be shipped off to war!

notanan2 Fri 17-Jan-20 23:15:19

I've actually considered not going for an upcoming promotion because Im worried about my mental performance over the next few years, so wonder if Im better off staying in a role I can more easily cruise through for the next few years!

This is why its good to hear that its not a foregone conclusion that it'll be awful and my mind and body will be at war with me!

SirChenjin Fri 17-Jan-20 23:29:10

I’m in the early stages of it but it’s already pretty unpleasant. I just take each symptom as it comes and then turn to the great sources of help as I need it and weigh up my options from there.

sharon103 Fri 17-Jan-20 23:50:54

You name it, I think I had it except for hot flushes. I had night sweats though.
I haven't been 'me' ever since . I've asked my doctor who owns the practice, if I could have a low dose of HRT but she wont let me and yet I read of women in their 70's who's GP are happy to prescribe it.

harrigran Sat 18-Jan-20 00:02:14

No symptoms except heavier periods in the last year.

Dee1012 Sat 18-Jan-20 00:29:01

I had no symptoms or signs before although I was expecting an early menopause as it seemed to be a trait on the maternal side of my family. Both my mum and gran were under 44..

Grandma2213 Sat 18-Jan-20 00:47:53

My periods just stopped too, sometime in my mid fifties. I didn't notice till I had a brief 'show' a few months later. When I hear about the suffering of some poor people I feel quite guilty so rarely mention it. I guess it's just a matter of luck or bad luck.

Maggiemaybe Sat 18-Jan-20 01:11:06

No symptoms at all, my periods just stopped in my mid-fifties. I think those who of us who didn’t suffer keep quiet for fear of being called smug, but I hope it’s helpful to those who've mentioned how much they’re dreading it to hear that the menopause isn’t always bad.

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Jan-20 05:48:57

I also had a relatively "easy" menopause with the exception of one exceedingly long bleed which had to be stopped with Tranexamic Acid and a couple of occasions after that with "shorter" long bleeds.
Always had long and heavy periods though - but it seemed like my body had simply forgotten to stop.

For those of you struggling, I did find myself "craving" soya milk and tofu!!
We already had these in our diets so it wasn't a totally random craving...
Discovered later that soy contains phytoestrogens, these can function as an oestrogen replacement but do take longer to build up in the system than HRT. Apparently there's a body of evidence now that points to the low number of menopausal symptoms in Asia (as compared to the West) being due to steady intake of soya.

Last time I read about this I think it took 10 weeks to build up in the body if you don't usually consume soya.

Jane10 Sat 18-Jan-20 07:12:42

notanan2- you must go for that promotion. I did my doctorate while I should have been going through 'menopause hell'. It was fine. Don't be held back by fear of it.

Kalu Sat 18-Jan-20 07:48:16

When I realised my concentration was waning a bit in my mid forties and feeling quite weepy occasionally Inhad a good idea what was going on and a visit to my GP who arranged a blood test confirmed I was peri-menopausal.

I was, in one hand, delighted at the thought of no more painful periods but hoping I would have the easy time my Mother had. Fortunately my symptoms were only a continuation of a bit weepy and a short experience with night sweats.

Whether coincidence or not, when the night sweats started I began drinking a glass of soya milk every day and the sweats stopped. On discussing this with friends at the same stage, soya milk worked for some but not for others. This was roughly 20 yrs ago.

Hetty58 Sat 18-Jan-20 08:29:23

It was something that really wasn't discussed much in my parents' days. I just got the impression it was something to dread.

I was even more worried at work (teaching) with a lot of women going through it. Yes, I had all the usual problems, night sweats, insomnia, brain fog, flooding and feeling really weird.

Being stubborn, (and highly suspicious of medical intervention) I refused HRT and battled on, often flinging the windows open (saying that my 'thermostat' was playing up, while my students put their coats on) and waited it out.

Lovely to come out the other side, though, and feel better than ever, like a great weight has lifted. I see it as a natural process, not a medical illness. My colleague had no symptoms at all. I was so jealous of her!

SirChenjin Sat 18-Jan-20 09:02:17

I see it as a natural process, not a medical illness

I think that’s part of the problem. For those of us who are not having a great time at all the idea that it’s ‘just’ a process can put many women off seeking help or talking about it - when actually there’s a huge amount now that can be done to treat the symptoms.

TerryM Sat 18-Jan-20 09:43:58

Mum and maternal grandmother had horrendous menopause time
I was so fearful of the time .
I had extremely heavy periods in the last year or so . Some hot flushes. A couple of work associates going through it at the same time also had a horrendous time
I am truly grateful that mine was nowhere near them
Odd thing both nan and mum had varicose veins . Another thing I missed
Hoping I also miss mum's and Nan's dementia brain.

polnan Sat 18-Jan-20 09:59:52

I had an easy time also. remember a few hot flushes, not a lot, periods just sort of slowed and dried and stopped.. Yes, I count myself very fortunate.... my period times were bad for me though,, each month, I would scream, not literally, nerves really ragged.. poor kids.

Riggie Sat 18-Jan-20 10:00:37

I had a few minor symptoms but nothing like the stuff we read about. I think its unfortunate that we hear more about the "horror stories" than the positive ones.

SirChenjin Sat 18-Jan-20 10:03:39

I think the opposite - hearing the ‘horror stories’ helps to reassure me that I’m not alone and that it’s not just me being hysterical/going mad/being weak/simply not coping with a natural process.