Gransnet forums

Health

Brain training

(34 Posts)
NanKate Mon 20-Jan-20 09:07:34

Dementia is a worry for us all as we age.

Whether anything can be done to stop, slow it down I don’t know but I read some time back that learning a new language can strengthen parts of the brain, so I started learning Spanish online and am thoroughly enjoying my course. I only do about 10 mins a day but I am certainly managing to retain most of the new words.

My next plan is to learn one small poem a month. This was recommended by a Doctor in the newspaper last week and Gyles Brandreth advised Camilla PB that it was a good way to keep the brain healthy.

So could you recommend any short, fun, interesting, emotive poems you like for me to choose my next poem ? I have started with Coleridge’s Kubla Khan first 3 verses which I loved as a teenager.

I didn’t know whether to put this request under Health, Books or Ask a Gran and in the end I plumped for Chat.

DanniRae Wed 22-Jan-20 21:31:21

Thanks NanKate!! smile

shysal Thu 23-Jan-20 15:16:44

My GB book came yesterday so I tried learning my first poem today - Trees by Joyce Kilmer:

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast

A tree that looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray

A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair

Upon whose bosom snow has lain
Who intimately lives with rain

Poems are made by fools like me
But only God can make a tree.

I thought I had learnt it over the morning, but when I decided I would type it on here from memory couldn't even remember the first line! I think this proves that I need to use this part of my brain more!

NanKate Thu 23-Jan-20 19:26:29

Yes I have just started the GB book too Shysal. I think I am going to attempt 4 lines at a time/day.

annep1 Thu 23-Jan-20 19:38:48

A little one to start with. A favohurite of my mums.

Jenny Kiss’d Me
BY LEIGH HUNT
Jenny kiss’d me when we met,
Jumping from the chair she sat in;
Time, you thief, who love to get
Sweets into your list, put that in!
Say I’m weary, say I’m sad,
Say that health and wealth have miss’d me,
Say I’m growing old, but add,
Jenny kiss’d me.

annep1 Thu 23-Jan-20 19:39:31

favohurite favourite

Dawn22 Thu 23-Jan-20 22:00:33

This thread is why l love Gransnet. Oh the diversity you find.
Can we keep it up.
Dawn.

Nanna58 Fri 24-Jan-20 22:50:20

I like ‘ I wish I’d looked after my teeth ‘ by Pam Ayers. I have subscribed to the Lumosity brain training app- hope it helps me!

NanKate Fri 24-Jan-20 23:10:36

I have started to sing recite poems I remember my dear old dad teaching me as a child such as ‘A frog he would a wooing go heyho said Rowley’. Also ‘The Teddy Bears Picnic’. Such very happy memories they evoke.

Also at the local Panto tonight I sang along with all the songs, as did most of the audience.