Gransnet forums

Health

Raynaud's Syndrome

(11 Posts)
evianers Mon 27-Jan-20 17:15:41

Is there anyone contributing who suffers with RS? Was diagnosed when we lived in Oz and it was HOT in Perth.
Now in Dorset and suffering rather badly. What do others do to alleviate the extremities freezing? Thank you kindly for any tips or advice [apart from wrapping up warmly of course]

M0nica Mon 27-Jan-20 17:28:30

I have had Raynauds Syndrom for over 30 years. And my only solution is wrapping up warmly, Indoors I wear thermal socks over thick tights and fingerless gloves, which DD knits for me so that they match my clothes. I also have some fingerless gloves (bought) with a fleece lining.

I did hear that massaging rosemary oil into them could help. I tried this, the smell was delicious and lingered, but it had no effect on the Raynauds.

Iam64 Mon 27-Jan-20 18:30:36

I share the diagnosis and length of time I've known about it, with MOnica. I agree, thermal socks and fingerless gloves. A friend bought me a pair of cashmere fingerless gloves for Christmas, they're wonderful.
I was prescribed medication to help the blood circulation but it gave me such awful headaches, I decided it was better to be cold. Swimming is only possible in hot countries or pools that are very warm.

Alishka Mon 27-Jan-20 20:10:25

Just out of the shower for the night here and thick thermal socks on which, hopefully, will stay on until morning.
When I was first diagnosed it was labelled a 'disease', but now it's a 'syndrome'?
I far prefer to have a syndrome smile

MiniMoon Mon 27-Jan-20 20:10:46

I've crocheted several pairs of finger less gloves for my daughter who suffers from RS. When she goes out she has pocket hand warmers. Fortunately her feet are not so badly affected.

Iam64 Mon 27-Jan-20 20:12:30

Do others with Raynaud's have other auto immune conditions. I certainly do, including Sjogens and RA, iritis to name a few

Marydoll Mon 27-Jan-20 20:15:49

I have RA, Sjogrens and cardio microvascular disease, leading my rheumatologist to think I also have Raynauds. I am always so cold, icy hands and feet. Our gas bill is astronomical!
Even in summer, I'm cold. When I was teaching, my colleagues would be in sleeveless tops and I would be wearing a sweater!

My future son in law is going to include a mention in his wedding speech, that he needs to wear swimming trunks, when he visits. According to him, it is positively tropical and unbearably hot in our house.

evianers Tue 28-Jan-20 13:27:27

It costs nothing, and means so much to say Thank You. So I do so to all contributors, knowing that others are suffering as badly.
My lips, fingers[nails] and whole feet are freezing and mauve/blue from the moment I get out of bed, until the hot water bottle is between my feet again, and from late September until May. My heartfelt sympathies to other sufferers.

boheminan Tue 28-Jan-20 13:56:24

Only in my fingers thankfully. I'm quite fascinated to see them turning blue and white. Nothing seems to help get rid of it, so I grit the teeth and wait for it to passsad

BlueBelle Tue 28-Jan-20 19:13:18

My youngest has reynauds I bought her some ‘silver’ gloves for Christmas she says they help I got them from the raynauds society website I also got her a long hot water bottle so it’s the length of her body to hug

M0nica Tue 28-Jan-20 19:17:01

Thankfully it only affects my fingers, but I do suffer from cold feet and always wear high neck sweaters in winter because the top of my chest gets so cold.