Gransnet forums

Health

A Shingles Vaccination appointment next week ,has anyone had one ,are there side effects

(36 Posts)
Bonsela3 Thu 30-Jan-20 11:54:26

Hi everyone,I am dreading a Shingles vaccination offered to me at 70 years at my surgery . I cant find anyone who has has this vaccine ,please give me your thoughts anyone had side effects ,
Many thanks

evianers Mon 03-Feb-20 12:04:09

Don't worry..... I am 74 rapidly approaching 75. You will be fine.
Hamba kahle!

Durban54 Mon 03-Feb-20 11:35:01

Thank you for all the messages re the shingles vaccine,
I will report back on Thursday when I have had my vaccine
Your help has been invaluable.I am 71 years
The pneumonia vaccine will be next
All ok with flu vaccine.

harrigran Fri 31-Jan-20 12:35:06

I had my shingles vaccination with no side effects at all, I did have to postpone for a month or two because when I got the first appointment I had just finished chemotherapy and I think you have to wait three months after finishing.

EllanVannin Fri 31-Jan-20 12:26:37

Just a bit of a sore arm ( achey ) that's all.

NanKate Fri 31-Jan-20 08:17:34

I had just a bit of an itchy arm. The illness is awful my mum had it and the pain lasted for a very long time. Please get it done.

travelsafar Fri 31-Jan-20 07:40:01

A friend had shingles even though she had the jab. Sadly it was on her face and affected one of her eyes. She has been left with an ulcer at the back of the eye which she has to use drops everyday to keep it under control. I will defo have the jab when i am 70. GP told her it would have be worse had she not had the jab.

Liz46 Fri 31-Jan-20 06:39:35

I had the shingles jab as soon as it was offered as I know people who have had shingles and how painful it was. I found that the injection did hurt but no side effects. Someone said that if a vaccine has come straight out of the fridge, it is more painful. I don't know if that is correct.

MawB Fri 31-Jan-20 06:28:36

Like many people, yes had it (year before last) and had no ill effects.
For a variety of reasons I did not get my flu jab this year and wonder if I can tempt fate by saying "so far, so good" on that score. Better not.? grin

Coolgran65 Fri 31-Jan-20 04:01:25

Shingles jab last year with no ill effects.
My friend had shingles 4 years ago and still suffers pain at the rash site severe enough to be attending a pain clinic.

Grandma2213 Fri 31-Jan-20 02:33:53

I had flu and pneumonia vaccinations a few years ago and when I asked about shingles the nurse gave me it at her discretion having seen my medical records and the number of times I had had shingles before. I think I was about 68. No side effects from any of them, nor from any flu jabs since.

Suki70 Thu 30-Jan-20 17:41:32

DH and I had shingles jabs several years ago with no side effects at all. We're very glad we did as several friends who were not of the right age to have it have suffered greatly with shingles.

annodomini Thu 30-Jan-20 17:36:01

I had the vaccination three or four months ago with no side effects at all. Luckily I have never had shingles but this was my last chance to have the jab as I will be 80 by the end of this year and they won't give it to you if you're 80+

ExD1938 Thu 30-Jan-20 17:00:48

I had shingles twice and its not nice - it also left me with occasional twinges at the site of the rash (shoulder). I had the vaccination with no side effects - not even a sore arm.
Well worth it, its not a nice thing to get.

Treebee Thu 30-Jan-20 16:56:20

Same question from me; though I don’t qualify yet, I had shingles in my teens so do I still need the jab?

M0nica Thu 30-Jan-20 16:55:23

Get both, shingles and pneumonia. My mother and aunt had shingles in old age and DD in her 20s. After seeing what the disease was like for all three, I jumped at the opportunity to get it - and had no side effects.

Sussexborn Thu 30-Jan-20 16:53:21

My OH had shingles a few years ago. Does he need a shingles jab as well?

Witzend Thu 30-Jan-20 16:46:31

I had it about a year ago, no side effects at all.

Having had shingles, though not too badly, I was very glad to be able to have the jab.

silverlining48 Thu 30-Jan-20 16:42:22

Neither myself nor my dh have had any problem with flu jabs every year, pneumonia ( lasts 10 years) and shingles jab, a one off I think.
Dh had pneumonia a few years ago, he was ill for months and shingles is equally unpleasant if you are unfortunate enough to get it.

SueDonim Thu 30-Jan-20 16:01:36

I’ve not had the shingles jab as I’m not old enough yet but I had the flu and pneumonia jabs last year with no bad effects.

I don’t know anyone who has had bad side effects from the shingles vax but I know people who’ve been v poorly with shingles. sad

dragonfly46 Thu 30-Jan-20 15:49:02

I had no effects.

Franbern Thu 30-Jan-20 15:44:37

So grateful for the fact that we still have access to these very important protection vaccinations without having to worry about paying for them. Have any that they offer me - flu one, obviously every year - rarely anything more than a slightly sore arm for a day or two. Pneumonia one (only need this once) - no reaction at all, Shingles - I had to wait until I was 78 yrs old to get this due to strange roll-out arrangements, got it day after my 78th birthday. No reaction whatsoever.

Gagagran Thu 30-Jan-20 15:01:09

I'm the odd one out then as I did have a bad reaction to both the pneumonia and the shingles jabs which I had on the same day but in different arms. Very red, hot, swollen, tight sites on both arms and I had to have antihistamines orally and topically.It took a good while to ease.

My GP said I had had an allergic reaction to the medium the vaccines were in and as such I should avoid other vaccines as the reaction could well get worse with each future jab. I do suffer with a sensitive skin and am asthmatic along with other auto-immune conditions though, so that could account for it.

Greenfinch Thu 30-Jan-20 14:30:15

Absolutely no side effects whatsoever.

BlueBelle Thu 30-Jan-20 14:01:30

Yes I had both shingles and pneumonia jab five years ago absolutely no side effects and nothing at all to worry about

BlueSapphire Thu 30-Jan-20 13:58:05

No problems at all.