Gransnet forums

Health

A Shingles Vaccination appointment next week ,has anyone had one ,are there side effects

(35 Posts)
Bonsela3 Thu 30-Jan-20 11:54:26

Hi everyone,I am dreading a Shingles vaccination offered to me at 70 years at my surgery . I cant find anyone who has has this vaccine ,please give me your thoughts anyone had side effects ,
Many thanks

evianers Thu 30-Jan-20 11:58:05

Hello Bonsela3
Having only just returned to this country after an absence of 44 years {11 in SA} we were also somewhat wary about this NHS offer, especially as it coincided with a vaccine for pneumonia. We decided not to have both on the same day as originally planned, but to have the injections 8 weeks apart.
Ergo, on 2 January, both had the shingles vaccine injection with no side effects whatsoever except for a mildly sore arm. Good luck!

Izabella Thu 30-Jan-20 12:01:50

No problems reported by OH

Charleygirl5 Thu 30-Jan-20 12:05:44

I had mine a couple of years ago and no side effects.

Bonsela3 Thu 30-Jan-20 12:05:50

Thank you for the reassurance re the Shingles vaccination,I will go ahead with my appointment next week ,I was also offered the pneumonia vaccine which I haven’t taken up as yet ,
I think they give it to children as well ,

kittylester Thu 30-Jan-20 12:21:16

I've had both with no side effects from either. Minor side effects are nothing compared with either of those illnesses.

For the record, I've been having the flu jab for 20 years with no side effects other than a bit of pain at the site.

tanith Thu 30-Jan-20 12:53:19

I’ve had both with no problems at all.

eazybee Thu 30-Jan-20 13:25:17

I had one two years ago, with no side effects.

midgey Thu 30-Jan-20 13:36:53

No problems here either!

Megs36 Thu 30-Jan-20 13:44:49

I too had this at first opportunity years ago and no bad effects at all. Also pneumonia and tetanus......

BlueSapphire Thu 30-Jan-20 13:58:05

No problems at all.

BlueBelle Thu 30-Jan-20 14:01:30

Yes I had both shingles and pneumonia jab five years ago absolutely no side effects and nothing at all to worry about

Greenfinch Thu 30-Jan-20 14:30:15

Absolutely no side effects whatsoever.

Gagagran Thu 30-Jan-20 15:01:09

I'm the odd one out then as I did have a bad reaction to both the pneumonia and the shingles jabs which I had on the same day but in different arms. Very red, hot, swollen, tight sites on both arms and I had to have antihistamines orally and topically.It took a good while to ease.

My GP said I had had an allergic reaction to the medium the vaccines were in and as such I should avoid other vaccines as the reaction could well get worse with each future jab. I do suffer with a sensitive skin and am asthmatic along with other auto-immune conditions though, so that could account for it.

Franbern Thu 30-Jan-20 15:44:37

So grateful for the fact that we still have access to these very important protection vaccinations without having to worry about paying for them. Have any that they offer me - flu one, obviously every year - rarely anything more than a slightly sore arm for a day or two. Pneumonia one (only need this once) - no reaction at all, Shingles - I had to wait until I was 78 yrs old to get this due to strange roll-out arrangements, got it day after my 78th birthday. No reaction whatsoever.

dragonfly46 Thu 30-Jan-20 15:49:02

I had no effects.

SueDonim Thu 30-Jan-20 16:01:36

I’ve not had the shingles jab as I’m not old enough yet but I had the flu and pneumonia jabs last year with no bad effects.

I don’t know anyone who has had bad side effects from the shingles vax but I know people who’ve been v poorly with shingles. sad

silverlining48 Thu 30-Jan-20 16:42:22

Neither myself nor my dh have had any problem with flu jabs every year, pneumonia ( lasts 10 years) and shingles jab, a one off I think.
Dh had pneumonia a few years ago, he was ill for months and shingles is equally unpleasant if you are unfortunate enough to get it.

Witzend Thu 30-Jan-20 16:46:31

I had it about a year ago, no side effects at all.

Having had shingles, though not too badly, I was very glad to be able to have the jab.

Sussexborn Thu 30-Jan-20 16:53:21

My OH had shingles a few years ago. Does he need a shingles jab as well?

M0nica Thu 30-Jan-20 16:55:23

Get both, shingles and pneumonia. My mother and aunt had shingles in old age and DD in her 20s. After seeing what the disease was like for all three, I jumped at the opportunity to get it - and had no side effects.

Treebee Thu 30-Jan-20 16:56:20

Same question from me; though I don’t qualify yet, I had shingles in my teens so do I still need the jab?

ExD1938 Thu 30-Jan-20 17:00:48

I had shingles twice and its not nice - it also left me with occasional twinges at the site of the rash (shoulder). I had the vaccination with no side effects - not even a sore arm.
Well worth it, its not a nice thing to get.

annodomini Thu 30-Jan-20 17:36:01

I had the vaccination three or four months ago with no side effects at all. Luckily I have never had shingles but this was my last chance to have the jab as I will be 80 by the end of this year and they won't give it to you if you're 80+

Suki70 Thu 30-Jan-20 17:41:32

DH and I had shingles jabs several years ago with no side effects at all. We're very glad we did as several friends who were not of the right age to have it have suffered greatly with shingles.