Gransnet forums

Health

CT Scan

(15 Posts)
Franbern Thu 30-Jan-20 17:11:34

I have been sent for an urgent CT scan on my head due to pains I am experiencing etc. I have never previously had a CT scan. When I have an MRI I do need to take a tranquiliser an hour before I go into the machine as I am very claustrophobic and without this I panic virtually immediately. Not sure what CT scan machine will be like. If it means that I go into a enclosed machine will need to take a diazapan, but would appreciate it if someone who has had one of these particularly on the head could let me know what they are like.

Teetime Thu 30-Jan-20 17:13:10

My husband had one and its just the head not the whole body. I hope everything is OK.

M0nica Thu 30-Jan-20 17:13:30

Surely the best thing to do is talk to your GP or Nurse-Practioner, they will know what can be done and can best advise you what you ought to do.

cornergran Thu 30-Jan-20 17:48:20

I seem to recall my head CT scan was both quick and quiet Fran and not particularly enclosed, I think it looked like a bit like a ring donut. It was some years ago though and memory may be faulty. I think in your position I’d phone the radiology department at the hospital and ask them as scanners may vary. Try not to worry, I’m sure the staff will understand your fears and will welcome a query in advance. Wishing you well.

BlueSky Thu 30-Jan-20 18:07:41

No the CT scan is just the head and it's over and done in no time Franbern a lot quicker than the MRI that in my case lasted 30 mins. So you should be fine without any tranquillisers.

Marydoll Thu 30-Jan-20 18:31:20

I have had a number of CT scans in the past and three this year alone. One was an urgent head scan, I had labyrinthitis into the bargain and vomited all over the place. (Too much info) The staff were lovely, stayed with me off shift and accompanied me back to the word, as they were very concerned. It wasn't stressful at all, apart from the embarrassment of being sick over them! blush

There is nothing to it, compared to an MRI, it was over in no time. As cornergran said it was like having your head inside a ring do'nut.

Good luck!

joannapiano Thu 30-Jan-20 18:36:13

DH had a scan last week. He said it was much better than the MRI he had previously, just going into a large doughnut ring and not enclosed.

FlexibleFriend Thu 30-Jan-20 18:50:12

A CT scan is nothing like an Mri there's virtually no noise and it's over very quickly. Tbh the one I had on my head was over before I realised it had started, I'd just got comfortable and closed my eyes when they said it was over. I was sat on a chair and giant donut revolved around me.

Grannyben Thu 30-Jan-20 18:52:36

I know this might seem silly but, try watching 24 hours in A&E. They all seem to go in the CT scanner

hulahoop Thu 30-Jan-20 19:02:45

Not has noisy or long franbern good luck .

Franbern Fri 31-Jan-20 08:48:47

Thank you all for your replies. I ave managed to find a photo of a CT Scanner and it is, as has been said here, like a giant donut.
I only saw my GP last Monday afternoon and have received the letter from the local hospital giving me an appointment for Saturday a week. Once again, for me, the NHS really proves itself as wonderful.
As this will be my first time attending this hospital having only moved here three months ago, my daughter will be able to accompany me to this appointment.

Liz46 Fri 31-Jan-20 08:54:00

I've had three CT scans of my lungs. My main problem was being able to breathe in and hold my breath when I have unhealthy lungs. I am very clostrophobic (how on earth do you spell that?) but it hardly bothered me.

As you say Franbern, the NHS is wonderful.

Ellianne Fri 31-Jan-20 09:10:40

Sorry to hear that Franbern. I had a ct scan recently and as said it was just a ring machine. They spoke to me from behind a screen to instruct me and keep me calm.
Are you having a contrast dye? That is sometimes used and has a few funny effects.
You will be fine.

harrigran Fri 31-Jan-20 13:01:53

I have had many CT scans and they are not a problem, the scanner is just a doughnut not a tunnel. The whole procedure was over in a few minutes.

dragonfly46 Fri 31-Jan-20 13:04:26

CT scan is much easier than an MRI. I have had a few of both. I find waiting for the results much more worrying.