Gransnet forums

Health

Dentures at 50 years old!!

(34 Posts)
Drew Wed 12-Feb-20 03:38:18

Hi I hope you don't mind a guy posting on your amazing forum site.
Im soon to have a full set of NHS dentures due to losing my teeth to infection. I'm distraught as you can imagine. I'm a young at heart fella and ride with the times but now as i became unexpectedly single, I'm scared to meet new people. God forbid me ever been able to Romantically kiss some lady. What if she can feel them if our kissing becomes more involved. What if she feels the plastic pallet?? Help me please! Xx

Roberta56 Fri 14-Feb-20 10:55:55

Hello Drew,
no worries mate!
I am in the same boat. I am 56. had removed all my teeth in september and still without any...
I am waiting till all my gums healed.
No teeth no pain! i am happy.

i want some flexible dentures anyway. maybe from Poland. i did translate with google translate - it is cheaper there and more trust. quolity you know.
never be agreed to pay for temporary dentures exactly after teeth removing! waste of money. i don't tust any doctors anymore.
just do your research - websites, forumes and youtubes. especially youtubes - have look youtube kalinjax. what a brave and beautiful woman!

best wishes dude

jaylucy Fri 14-Feb-20 11:03:47

My son has had to have a full set of implants - bad dental treatment by a really awful dentist (who we hav now heard has been struck off) it cost him a lot of money, but he has taken out a loan over 5 years to pay for it.
The difference in him is amazing! He now readily smiles whereas before he used to keep his mouth closed. It also means that he can at long last eat foods that are anything but soft! Certainly for him, it has been worth every penny.

Dee1012 Fri 14-Feb-20 11:14:33

A friend of mine recently needed dentures...she was advised by her dentist to opt for NHS dentures while everything settles down and then to look at "flexible dentures".
Someone else has mentioned these.
They are a lot cheaper than implants and look/feel much better.

Sparkling Sat 15-Feb-20 07:09:29

I hope Drew you are feeling more positive, it seems that most of us agree that no one will know you have false teeth and won't be bothered when they do. Personality and kindness means more to anyone than mere looks, they fade with a lot of people anyway. It seems that eventually a flexible denture, if inplants are not possible, I wouldn't have them for a start, are the most unobtrusive.

northerngardener Sun 16-Feb-20 16:55:28

Drew, I have dentures for the 3 front top teeth which were partially knocked out as a child. Dee1012 is right - use NHS until your mouth has settled down. I've just got private ones which are a better fit - you can be more picky as you're paying! I can't have flexible ones or implants for various reasons. But the NHS ones I had at first were fine for a while - just over time I had them relined and used Fixodent as they were still a bit loose. But your point about kissing is right it is a worry - be upfront, and if it's an issue they are not worth knowing. PS it is so good to be able to drink hot drinks without scalding roof of mouth and cold icecream! Every cloud and all that!

pinkquartz Sun 16-Feb-20 17:06:11

losing all my teeth is one of my fears so I was glad to see this thread....until I came to Flexiblefriend's unkind response.
She added nothing of value just nastiness.
That is exactly the reaction we don't want to hear.
Perhaps you feel the same bout a person in a wheelchair?
Or if they are too short?
Or some other physical lack that they cannot help.

You have good teeth ...so you are lucky but you have a mean outlook.

Oldbat1 Sun 16-Feb-20 18:35:48

I’ve always suffered from having rubbish teeth. Dental pain is the worst pain ever. I really hope all goes well for you denture wise. I’ve had partial denture since age 11 and I’m 68 now. Last year I replaced my partial denture with an implant of 4 front teeth using the kids inheritance - doesn’t stop my remaining teeth crumbling. Best wishes.

FlexibleFriend Mon 17-Feb-20 18:53:46

pinkquartz

For your information I am disabled and a wheelchair user, just because I have great teeth doesn't mean I have no empathy or understanding of others misfortunes. I have a condition that is destroying my joints and so far have lost the use of my legs and my right arm. That doesn't make me mean or spiteful. The OP asked for peoples opinions and i gave my honest opinion. I did not set out to upset anyone, shame you can't say the same. Never mind us disabled people get used to dealing with people like you and a few others on here, you have no effect as it's water off a ducks back, I'm immune to spiteful old women like you.