Gransnet forums

Health

Hiatus Hernia

(25 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:26:16

Anyone here or family member have a hiatus Hernia, How was it diagnosed? And how did/does it affect you

NfkDumpling Sat 22-Feb-20 19:34:03

I have a (apparently) small one. I went to the doctor as I was getting bad burning heartburn and reflux if I bent over. I just wanted something stronger than Gaviscon but got given a hospital appointment for tests.

I’m able to manage it fairly well mainly by eating very small meals with crackers or Ryvita snacks between.

Do you have / suspect you have one Trendy?

TrendyNannie6 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:41:37

Yes, I’m almost sure, as sure as I can be without having relevant tests, how do I private message you Nfk I’d like to ask you something

TrendyNannie6 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:42:32

Just seen private message button sorry

Septimia Sat 22-Feb-20 19:43:39

I suspected that I had one from the symptoms I was suffering and decided to try some things before going to the GP. I still haven't seen a doctor about it.

I stopped eating tomatoes/drinking tomato juice, and all citrus fruits. Having given them a rest, I find I can manage them in small quantities but even the tomato sauce on baked beans can upset things. Chocolate is supposed to be bad, too sad but I'm not giving that up completely!

Too much cheese or coffee also affects me, but I mostly have it under control and without any medication.

Susan56 Sat 22-Feb-20 20:15:28

Yes,I have a hiatus hernia diagnosed by endoscopy.

Farmor15 Sat 22-Feb-20 20:15:29

I have one. Diagnosed after gastrocopy. I’d had acid reflux for years, controlled mostly with Rennies. Now I avoid eating too much or late. Bread, scones and pastry are worst culprits but I can get in the night even after a glass of water.

After diagnosis, I was prescribed Lanzoprazole (similar to Nexium) It worked well at first but then I got side effects and now find watching diet with Ranitidine now and then - and Rennies - keeps it under control.

I think it’s important to get proper diagnosis as there are other conditions.

Suki70 Sat 22-Feb-20 20:29:20

Mine was diagnosed by an endoscopy after having frequent heartburn. Since then I take Omeprazole every day which controls it. DH also has one too, also diagnosed by an endoscopy but luckily has no symptoms .

annodomini Sat 22-Feb-20 20:39:10

Mine was diagnosed by gastroscopy and I've since had two more 'scopes'. The hernia doesn't seem to have got worse, though there are some things I can't digest easily - potatoes and bread - and if I go the the GP I expect he'll refer me to the hospital again. I'm reluctant!

kissngate Sat 22-Feb-20 22:34:32

I have one diagnosed by endoscopy. Had horrendous heartburn and reflux along with hiccups following a meal. Prescribed Lanzeprosol but got side effects ie vertigo after six months. Changed to Omneprozal but was allergic to them too. Now managed by Peppermint oil capsule, Aloe vera tablet and Acidophilus capsule once a day. Occasionally take a Rennies in the night if I've forgotten to take the others

NfkDumpling Sun 23-Feb-20 06:57:01

You can't beat Rennie's, my nan used to eat them like sweeties. Now I know why!

NfkDumpling Sun 23-Feb-20 07:01:25

I found Omprazole and Lanzeprosol both made me feel sick which rather defeats the object. I suffer from vertigo anyway but it may well have been a side effect too. I find I can eat 'proper' bread from one of those nice bread shops. Supermarket bread is out which is a shame as Kingsmill makes the best toast ever.

JackyB Sun 23-Feb-20 10:16:34

I was diagnosed with this after a CT scan following a serious accident. It had nothing to do with the accident; I had had it for a few years. I had noticed that my tummy had started gurgling a lot, especially when I laid down. Apart from an operation, which I think is a bit drastic, there's not much I can do so I just try and eat little and often to avoid discomfort.

BlueSky Sun 23-Feb-20 10:28:30

I too swear by good old Rennies!

hulahoop Sun 23-Feb-20 10:38:31

Mine was diagnosed following endoscopy find bending over eg cleaning bath brings it on I find gaviscon double action lozenge works best for me .

Jane10 Sun 23-Feb-20 11:19:14

I discovered that DH was consuming masses of Rennies and made him go to the GP. Lo and behold it turned out to be Helicobacter Pylori which was diagnosed via a breath test and treated by a short course of special antibiotics. He's absolutely fine as a result. Don't assume it's a hiatus hernia, get the symptoms checked!

BlueSky Sun 23-Feb-20 11:26:11

Thanks Jane10 might have to finally mention it to my GP! Just worried I would be sent for endoscopy.

Billybob4491 Sun 23-Feb-20 11:29:24

I also had an endoscopy and it would seem I have a hiatus hernia. It never bothers me, but I tend to stick to a fairly rigid diet, no pasties, pies, bread, biscuits, cakes, which in my case are a trigger.

annodomini Sun 23-Feb-20 12:09:13

Both my ENT consultant and the gastro-intestinal one say there is nothing better than Gaviscon Advance as the last thing I swallow at bed time. It really does stop reflux in its tracks. If I am away and don't want a hefty bottle in my luggage, I have Gaviscon Advance tablets.

Nonnie Sun 23-Feb-20 12:10:58

I've had one for so long I can't remember how it was diagnosed. In my case it is not a big deal, just one pill a day and I rarely get any symptoms. There are much worse things to live with as we get older

soop Sun 23-Feb-20 12:53:56

My hiatus hernia was diagnosed after an endoscopy. I had been suffering with awful heartburn and reflux. I also spat blood on occasions. I have been taking Esomeprazole for a few years. I have had no adverse side effects. Once in a blue moon, I have an espisode of heartburn.

Aglassofroseplease Tue 25-Feb-20 18:12:32

Mine was diagnosed by endoscopy a year ago. I’d had reflux and indigestion for about 5 years and I’d started to have difficulty swallowing food and I was coughing a lot. After a bit of trial and error - on and off pills I’m now on 20 mg daily of omeprazole and try to watch my diet and avoid big heavy meals. I could do with losing a bit of weight too but I’m struggling to keep to a diet.

Fellsidegruffalo Tue 25-Feb-20 18:56:24

Apparently 1 in 3 people have some sort of hiatus hernia after the age of 50. I agree it is best to go to the doctor and get it checked out as other conditions have similar conditions and my oesophagus was quite ulcerated when I had an endoscopy for something else and a hiatus hernia was also found.

Fellsidegruffalo Tue 25-Feb-20 19:17:16

*other conditions have similar symptoms

Aglassofroseplease Tue 25-Feb-20 20:06:09

Fellsidegruffalo mine oesophagus was inflamed too and they found some ulceration so took biopsy’s - it was scary waiting for the results in case it was cancer - fortunately it wasn’t and had cleared up when I had a 2nd endoscopy 8 weeks later.