Gransnet forums

Health

Hip replacement and allotments!

(48 Posts)
ArtySue Fri 28-Feb-20 08:42:04

Hi, this is my very first post! I'm due to have one, or even two, hips replaced this year. I'm not worried about the op or general recovery but I am concerned that the post-op info says you can't bend from the waist afterwards - is that forever?! I have an an allotment which provides me with food, fitness and wellbeing. Are there any allotmenteers out there who've had a hip replacement? I don't want to give it up. Thanks in advance!

Camelotclub Fri 28-Feb-20 11:16:44

I'd also echo what others have said - don't have both done at the same time unless you have loads of help, pain relief and gadgets at home! For some reason I remember Billy Joel had a bilateral replacement.

Get some of those extendible grabbers for when you drop something. They're invaluable. Sticks of course, and raised loo seat. That was v.useful!

Grosvenor Fri 28-Feb-20 11:22:43

When I had my hip done two years ago, the hospital lent me several useful items, which they collected when no longer needed: a commode, as bathroom too far away at night, a high toilet seat with a supporting frame, a trolley with wheels, two crutches, a grabber, a long-handled shoehorn and device to put socks on. I took the option to purchase the last three, and use two of them daily.

Pantglas2 Fri 28-Feb-20 11:59:24

DH had his second hip op on 6 February and is now increased his walking to half a Mile each day using only one crutch - he says if it wasn’t so wet and windy he’d be fine to go further with just a walking stick.

I’m doing all the driving until he gets all clear from surgeon end of March- more for insurance purposes than any other reason.

He says this op has been a little harder than last one but he is 7 years older now at 70 so to be expected.

seacliff Fri 28-Feb-20 12:46:12

I work part time and with that get free BUPA cover. I am probably retiring the end of this year, (am 69) so it makes sense to get at least 1 hip done by then. The knee on the same leg is also bad, but I think the hip is worse. Just made appointment with GP who then refers it apparently.

Also did any of you have a bed moved down stairs, or did you go up to bed right from the start?

sarahellenwhitney Fri 28-Feb-20 12:57:11

Tickingbird
Age does not necessarily make a difference when it comes to what a person can do following hip replacement. I was same age having my replacements as my mother when she had hers.Mum had always taken a bath and continued after replacements unaided My very last bath, I did not know it would be my last bath, was the day of my first hip op.From then on it was showers, not by choice , as I found it difficult without assistance to get in and out of a bath.Being the person I am did not wish to rely on others blush

sarahellenwhitney Fri 28-Feb-20 13:09:08

Seacliff
I didn't want abed downstairs and it is not essential. You will be shown prior to hospital discharge and by a physio how to get up and downstairs All info is given prior discharge.

Fennel Fri 28-Feb-20 13:12:00

I've only had one hip replacement, at age 71. I was able to have intensive physio afterwards and soon back to gardening etc.
Someone told me that recovery is partly to do with pre-op fitness. You need to rebuild the muscles that support the new joint ASAP.

kathyd Fri 28-Feb-20 13:28:05

kgnw28225 I found it very helpful to go to a chiropractor with a prolapsed disc. I was painfree in no time.

3dognight Fri 28-Feb-20 13:36:20

You could sow a cover crop, a green manure crop on your allotment, if dug in before flowering it will fix nitrogen in the soil. Your soil could have a rest this year, and be ready to supply you the best veggies ever next year. Perhaps your family would do the digging over for you?
Just as Fennel has said above, get as fit as possible, before the op, as this will help you enormously in your recovery.
All good wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery!

Willow10 Fri 28-Feb-20 15:09:08

I'm intrigued that some of you have resumed swimming after a hip replacement. I was only ever taught the breast stroke, but understood that I can't do that now in case the hip dislocates. Try as I might, I can't swim any other way! Do you do the crawl?

Fennel Fri 28-Feb-20 16:17:34

Willow - as I wrote above, I was able to have intensive physio after my op. In the hospital itself, for 2 weeks , am and pm every day. 2006 in France.
The physio dept. had a swimming pool . We did some of our exercises in the pool, but I don't think any of us did the breast stroke at that stage.
That therapy has been stopped now, too expensive.

TerriT Fri 28-Feb-20 17:04:42

I had my hip replaced 4 years ago and was worried my mobility would change afterwards. But it’s just as it was, bending down is only difficult because of age and being a bit overweight. I also have a very bad arthritic ankle that I’m avoiding having a fusion op as what few people I know who have had it done warn me against it. But my hip went from excruciating pain pre op to no pain after the op. It’s quite amazing.

Ohmother Fri 28-Feb-20 17:14:45

Coming up to 8 years after my hip op. I have jogged 5k, climbed Knikt ( 2nd highest mountain in Wales, ridden a couple of horses, swam and love to walk/stroll for ages.

My back and ankle aches and pains went away too!! I can bend at the waist, kneel on the floor but need help to get up.

One of the best things I ever had done after arguing with my GP for a few years!!

tickingbird Fri 28-Feb-20 17:22:43

Well I’m pleased to hear you’ve all benefitted from your hip replacements and are enjoying life pain free. I need both knees doing but no joy yet!

Oldbat1 Fri 28-Feb-20 17:32:12

My dog trainer had a hip replacement mid Oct and was back teaching and driving before christmas. She was just amazing. She followed all the instructions given. Op at 8am and home by 3pm after epidural. If I have one I want to be like her. Best wishes all goes smoothly for you.

Qwerty Fri 28-Feb-20 17:56:32

I had a hip replacement two and a half years ago. Both hips were bad due to Oesteoarthris and they did the better one as it was most painful. It took me a year to get off double crutches, then single, then a stick, but it was well worth it. So far I've managed, with lots of Physio and hydro therapy in the first year, and Pilates classes and AquaFit with a waddle in the deep end, to avoid having the second hip done, or either knee, also both poor. My surgeon won't operate on knees as the success rate is poorer. I'm now pain free and do regular exercise, though I can't run or walk over two miles, or stand for long periods. However, I no longer need physio, and am active with grandchildren, mobile and fairly flexible.

Lisagran Fri 28-Feb-20 17:59:55

ArtySue - it looks like this on my iPad (acronyms)

chocolatepudding Fri 28-Feb-20 23:23:21

I am so pleased to hear all these successful hip replacement cases. In the 1960s my older brother qualified as a doctor in London and emigrated to Canada. He did a year long research project in the immediate post operative care of patients and how quickly to get patients up and out of bed. He said it was clear that getting patients mobile asap was far better than days/weeks of bed rest.

Gymstagran Sat 29-Feb-20 09:21:13

ArtySue you need to be on the desktop site to find the acronyms. At the bottom of the feed under the gransnet banner you will find a link to the desktop site

Ohmother Sat 29-Feb-20 14:31:08

I was out of bed to the commode next morning ( still numbed) and on my crutches the next day up and down the corridor. Fantastic thing to have surgeons and nursing staff who are working with this.

Magrithea Sat 29-Feb-20 17:55:35

Do follow whatever instructions your surgeon gives (it will vary from surgeon to surgeon and on what type of hip replacement has been used). Don't bend beyond 90 degrees for the initial period as the muscles around your hip will be weakened as they are parted during the surgery. You may need a raised loo seat and blocks to raise sofas and chairs, my sis in law had this after hers.

Good luck!

GreenGran78 Sat 29-Feb-20 18:17:18

I had a hip replacement last May, just before I was 80. I convinced myself that I would be marching down the street in a matter of weeks. The reality was a lot more pain than I expected, especially getting in and out of bed. However I could cope with the stairs after a few days, and by the end of 6 weeks the pain had considerably lessened, I was driving again and walking well, with a walking stick. I am now feeling very fit, and have also managed to take off 30lbs, which is a big help in keeping mobile. The hospital will probably assess you and lend you any aids that you need. A toilet frame is particularly useful.
I found that having a small wheeled walker upstairs and down helped a lot with getting about in the early days, and a small pillow between my knees, in bed, eased the pain. I was instructed to sleep on my back and wear elastic stockings for six weeks after the op, both very uncomfortable, but necessary.
The first couple of months were not easy for me, but some people seem to recover more quickly. Some also take longer, never get back to complete mobility, or end up with one leg slightly longer than the other. In spite of the potential pitfalls, most people never regret having the replacement. I was in a great deal of pain previously, and have been given back my life!