Gransnet forums

Health

NHS Screening

(64 Posts)
BlueSky Fri 28-Feb-20 10:47:00

I've reached the age where the NHS screening (Smear, Mammogram and FIT) have stopped or are about to (65-75) but could still be requested by the individual. Would you, should you carry on with these tests? Not really clear about the advantages/disanvantages and whether they would lead to unecessary procedures or still save lives. I guess they are stopped by the NHS at this age mostly for financial reasons?

Riggie Sat 29-Feb-20 10:53:28

I had my last smear test last year. Nothing I have read suggests that they can be requested after 65. So Im ok with that!!

mrsgreenfingers56 Sat 29-Feb-20 11:04:10

I was surprised to read the post from Hetty58. I can only offer my personal opinion that if I hadn't of had a mammogram which picked up Stage 2 breast cancer and cervical smear test which showed big changes in the cells I wouldn't be alive today.

I feel screening has saved my life as no signs at all for the above and I was very shocked as none of these female cancers in the family at all. Thank goodness for screening and our wonderful NHS.

00mam00 Sat 29-Feb-20 11:18:57

My breast cancer was picked up early by a mammogram and quickly dealt with, the same happened for a friend, so I am back on regular screening.

My daughter will get on the screening programme as soon as she can, as my mother also had breast cancer.

Nonnie Sat 29-Feb-20 11:25:10

My mother developed cervical cancer in her mid 70s, it killed her.

I understand that not all cervical cancers are caused by sexual activity, just most of them. When I asked for one a few years back I was told that the neck of the cervix changes as we get older and the test doesn't work. My GP had a look and said there were no signs but I would prefer to have a proper check every few years if I could.

A friend discovered his bowel cancer from screening so I would like to continue that and the breast screening. A little discomfort every few years seems a small price to pay.

Witzend Sat 29-Feb-20 11:35:42

Maybe I’m wrong, but I thought cervical cancer was linked to sexual activity, given that it’s unknown (or so I’ve read) in nuns. And equally more likely in a person who’s had a lot of different sexual partners.

Someone I know used to be petrified of cervical screening, and in any case would tense up so much that it was difficult to perform.
But she’d never had any sexual partner, so I wondered why she was putting herself through it. She did eventually ask whether it was necessary, given her personal history, and they said no, in her case she could forget about it.

Camelotclub Sat 29-Feb-20 11:39:10

Anything the NHS is giving away - grab it before it goes forever!

gillyknits Sat 29-Feb-20 12:06:04

I have already continued with breast screening. I just had to ring them when it was due and got an appointment for the mobile screening unit that visits our town! (Seeing it reminds me to book an appointment!)
Still do the bowel screening but had a hysterectomy with removal of cervix so no longer need that.

Granny1London Sat 29-Feb-20 13:10:15

Cervical screening is not offered after 65 if your last rest was normal and done within the last 5 years. What is important is that you report any bleeding promptly and you will be referred to a gynaecologist within 2 weeks.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 29-Feb-20 13:23:11

I do still do the bowel cancer home test, having had six polyps removed at a colonoscopy.
As I've been celibate for twenty years I no longer have cervical test and haven't had breast screening either but do self examine.

Jaye53 Sat 29-Feb-20 14:29:35

Bowel and breastscreening are essential in my opinion

Susieq62 Sat 29-Feb-20 15:17:07

Bowel cancer screening vital for me as both parents died from it in their 80s.
I would accept any screening available as I w@nt to r3main fit and healthy if possible

GrannyMary1 Sat 29-Feb-20 15:25:01

Bowel cancer screening is at age 50 in Scotland.

Rosina Sat 29-Feb-20 15:48:01

I read that breast cancer is found in a high percentge of women over 70. I will certainly continue to ask for screening - anything that is going in the way of a health insurance is eagerly accepted. Why not?

sarahellenwhitney Sat 29-Feb-20 16:04:13

Most certainly carry on with a cervical screening regardless of whether sexually active or not even if you have to arrange it yourself.How would you know what is 'going on in there' even though there is no indication all is not as it should be.Breasts you can examine your self and the first hint of a lump then go see your doctor.

Joesoap Sat 29-Feb-20 16:07:32

I dont live in the UK in this country there is screenin until 75 never heard of bowel screening that sound really good, can you tell me please what the Bowel Cancer Test you can do at home is.Where can you buy it or do you get it from the Doctors surgery?

Veejay61 Sat 29-Feb-20 18:20:27

I too believe it is personal choice whether or not to have any type of screening, but I accept any screening that is offered. I watched the pain my 3 children went through when they lost their dad to Bowel Cancer, aged 50 and would feel selfish not having the tests that are offered that could potentially be life saving. I am currently waiting to be recalled for cervical screening as last May, HPV virus was detected in my cervical screening, which could potentially lead onto a more sinister diagnosis. I am so glad that I went for the test and that I am now in the system for any future treatment I may need or (fingers crossed) a complete bill of good health, regarding this issue.

Esspee Sat 29-Feb-20 18:21:43

@Joesoap. In the UK we get a package through the post which has three sections for you to smear a small amount of your bowel movements taken on different days. The package is then mailed back and the samples are tested for traces of blood.
Only those who show traces of blood receive further investigation. Simple but effective.

Phloembundle Sat 29-Feb-20 19:34:18

Everyone is statistically more likely to get cancer the older they get. Why wouldn't anyone take any screening offered?

Greeneyedgirl Sat 29-Feb-20 20:39:50

There are pros and cons to any screening of course so it's very much a personal choice. All cancers are more likely the older that you get so I still opt for a mammogram and would also think bowel screening worthwhile. I don't need cervical screen as have had hysterectomy, but would probably go with that as well.

I wouldn't bother with GP checks as I take BP at home every few months, and also check urine occasionally with diagnostic sticks for glucose and blood.

Jennyluck Sat 29-Feb-20 20:55:18

I’ll carry on with the bowel screening, and breast screening. But not the cervical. I’ve been married for 42 years and only had a sexual relationship with my husband. So hope I’ll be ok. I had my last one at 63, I’m nearly 65. And it was excruciating, and I’m frightened to have it done again.

NotSpaghetti Sun 01-Mar-20 00:25:36

Joesoap the bowel screening "blood in the stools" test picks up blood you can't see as well as any you can but if you have an anal fissure or haemorrhoids it will come back as though you need further tests. It doesn't suit everyone for this reason.

gmarie Sun 01-Mar-20 00:49:01

I recently had an annual cervical cancer test and was also told that this would be the last time unless I requested one (I'm 65). I asked my OBGYN about it and she said the same thing, that cervical cancer is slow-growing. I asked if she'd have the test when she's my age and she said absolutely not. Breast and colon, yes, cervix, no. Will decide for myself next year!

NotSpaghetti Sun 01-Mar-20 00:49:39

Margaret McCartney has written lots of papers and articles about various screening programmes. She is really interesting and focuses on the evidence and what we know to be true.

I think we should understand the risk of something before we do it and that goes for the risks of screening as well as the risks of not screening.

www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2014/jan/03/patients-truth-health-screening-harm-good

www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/why-im-saying-no-to-a-smear-7577967.html%3famp

blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2019/10/25/margaret-mccartney-cancer-screening-review-diminishes-informed-choice/

absent Sun 01-Mar-20 05:56:00

I would ask my GP what she/he thinks would be the best thing to do.

Shropshirelass Sun 01-Mar-20 09:28:55

I think I will carry on with screening, it is so important. A colleague of my sisters wouldn't go for smear tests and she died from cervical cancer, sad when it could have been detected and possibly treated. A few minutes of discomfort is well worth it.