Gransnet forums

Health

Wrist/thumb Tendonitis - any advice?

(14 Posts)
kittylester Fri 28-Feb-20 15:22:48

Just that really. Been diagnosed by the pharmacist today and he suggested Ibuprofen gel and not using it. Go to gp if it's not better in 3/4 weeks.

It's my right hand and, although I'm left handed, I use both hands a lot!! grin

Marydoll Fri 28-Feb-20 15:35:10

I had that Kitty in both hands at the same time, combined with carpal tunnel in my right hand.. It was diagnosed using ultra sound by my rheumatologist.

The treatment meant wearing wrist splints and using 10% Ibruprofen gel. Other treatments recommended were heat or ice on it and I had a number of steroid injections.

Unfortunately I did a lot of damage by not seeking help sooner, I put it down to my RA and ignored it, until the pain became unbearable. Eventually, I couldn't use my right hand at all.
My advice if it is bothering you, go and see your GP sooner than later.
However, others may have had a different experience and it has cleared up with rest and gel.
Hope you get it sorted soon.

Charleygirl5 Fri 28-Feb-20 15:41:13

Mine cleared up with almost total non-use and gel. Luckily I can use both hands so for me it was not a major problem but it did take a few weeks. I could not use it anyway because of pain.

dizzyblonde Fri 28-Feb-20 15:41:18

Mine has cleared up with rest, naproxen and some exercises. If you google it you will find some specific exercises. Mine was a type of tendonitis called De Quervain syndrome, or gamers thumb, ironic since I have never been a gamer and don’t even use that thumb for typing on my phone or scrolling.
The physio I saw also recommended an anti inflammatory diet such as the Mediterranean diet.

kittylester Fri 28-Feb-20 15:42:06

Crikey Marydoll and I was feeling really sorry for myself. That must have been awful. I assumed it would just get better on its own.

FlexibleFriend Fri 28-Feb-20 16:07:18

I bought a wrist support like this with a metal support for the thumb, it worked wonders.
www.amazon.co.uk/Neo-Thumb-Support-Immobiliser-Compression/dp/B001M08XLA?tag=gransnetforum-21

sunshine57 Fri 28-Feb-20 16:23:11

I have to take Arimidex as I have had hormone receptor positive breast cancer.
One of the side effects of this medication is carpal tunnel syndrome which I have in my left hand which can be very painful.
I have found Healthspan Glucosamine and and Magnesium Gel to be very effective at relieving a lot of the discomfort.The gel also contains wintergreen,eucalyptus, capiscum and peppermint.
Can be obtained online at the Healthspan site.

kittylester Fri 28-Feb-20 16:23:54

dizzyblond I suspect mine is from holding my phone while my left hand types.

Not sure how to rest my hands!! It even hurts to push the toilet flush!! grin

kittylester Fri 28-Feb-20 16:26:55

The gel I bought says not to use if you have allergic rhinitis which I have. confused

I'll look at that gel, sunshine.

Marydoll Fri 28-Feb-20 16:28:47

Kitty, mine is the worst case scenario!? Don't panic!!!
I have had de Quervain’s tenosynovitis since October 2014, it is much better than it was! I first became aware of mine, as I was getting into my car to go to work one morning, I had a shooting pain in my hand and I thought, OUCH. It just got steadily worse until I saw my consultant in November of that year.

The important thing is rest! I was told to stay off work, ignored the advice, thought, as per usual, that I was indestructible!! ? I went back the following week to the hospital and was told to stay off work for six weeks and not to use my hands. ? Mine was complicated by my RA and I never to returned to work.
In fact I had to have steroids injected into my left hand only last week.
The moral is, early intervention and follow the advice given!

M0nica Sat 29-Feb-20 13:48:34

I saw my GP who recommended painkillers and strapping it for a month. When that didn't work, it was a steroid jab, truly the most painful thing I have ever suffered but the next morning I was pain free and it hasn't troubled me yet.

Susan56 Sun 01-Mar-20 07:49:55

Kitty, my husband had this some years ago and was referred to physio who gave him a splint to wear.Maybe see your gp and ask for physio referral.

shysal Sun 01-Mar-20 18:11:23

I don't wish to alarm you, Kitty, but I thought I had the same problem, but my GP referred me to Rheumatology just in case, where I discovered that it was the beginning of RA. My hand and wrist are always the first part of me to flare up if I overuse it. Otherwise medication keeps me mostly pain free, I think due to early diagnosis.
I only mention this to persuade you not to put off seeing your GP.

kittylester Sun 01-Mar-20 18:40:59

Ooh heck, shysal, I'll see how it goes this week as it's a hairy week and go if necessary.

Thank you all for your advice.. I didnt realise how much I used my right hand until tried to use it!