Gransnet forums

Health

I've got a cold

(84 Posts)
paddyanne Sat 29-Feb-20 11:58:57

I rarely get the cold but this one has defeated me ,I've been running from my eyes and nose for 5 weeks now scratchy throat,shivering and downright miserable . did what I shouldn't have and used day/night nurse but it has affected my BP .I went to the chemist today and asked for advice on how to knock this on the head and she recommended Sterimar spray .Its basically seawater you squirt up your nose.
Anyone have positive results with this as I am currently still working 3 days a week and feel as if I'm spreading infection.With coronavirus in the news I'm beginning to feel like a leper so many folk have asked if I've been abroad.
All other remedy suggestions welcome

Evie64 Sun 01-Mar-20 22:30:51

Have you tried the steam with Olbas Oil in it and a towel over your head? Works wonders with taking the inflammation in your sinuses down and a natural remedy without the cost really. All these nasal sprays are a bit of a waste of money in my experience.

BazingaGranny Mon 02-Mar-20 00:32:12

Dear paddyanne, five weeks is quite a long time for a cold. In general, the received wisdom is that anything that lasts for more than three weeks, especially with a cough, could do with an assessment by a doctor.

Hope you feel better soon ?

Coolgran65 Mon 02-Mar-20 01:42:06

Chewbacca when using a netipot.....If you tilt your head back and to the side... How does the water come down the other nostril. Does it justified its way. Can you use too much water?
I'm sure these probably seen silly questions but I'd be wary of water finding its way down the back of my throat. Years ago I was told how good a netipot was but was wary of it.

Coolgran65 Mon 02-Mar-20 02:09:24

*Chewbacca ... Sorry to have troubled you. I googled it and saw a couple of utube demonstrations. smile

Cindy8 Mon 02-Mar-20 07:40:09

Hi im just wondering, is this foot and mouth thing relatively new as i never heard of it when my lot were little or even when i was a kid either?

Nanniejude Mon 02-Mar-20 09:52:56

My daughter used Sterimar and it had excellent results

Newatthis Mon 02-Mar-20 11:36:44

Take some ginger and chop us 3 or 4 half inch chunks, add a cinnamon stick. Boil in some water 2-3 cups, leave to steep but reheat and drink ward, That'll shift it.

Sussexborn Mon 02-Mar-20 15:08:05

Fascinating how our bodies are basically the same but so different when it comes to the efficacy of treatments.

I find Sterimar works well and sometimes use my facial steamer with a drop of Olbas Oil. At least I did until OH decided the steamer wasn’t used and put it up in the loft! (The joys of retirement!) Best to use a timer for about 20 minutes as it gets boring and easy to think it’s been 20 minutes when it’s only been 5.

First time I had sinusitis DS was a tiny baby and I was convinced I was going to loose my top teeth as this happened to my Mum. A locum doctor nearly got more than he bargained for when he pressed his thumbs hard in to my painful sinuses. ?