Gransnet forums

Health

I've got a cold

(83 Posts)
paddyanne Sat 29-Feb-20 11:58:57

I rarely get the cold but this one has defeated me ,I've been running from my eyes and nose for 5 weeks now scratchy throat,shivering and downright miserable . did what I shouldn't have and used day/night nurse but it has affected my BP .I went to the chemist today and asked for advice on how to knock this on the head and she recommended Sterimar spray .Its basically seawater you squirt up your nose.
Anyone have positive results with this as I am currently still working 3 days a week and feel as if I'm spreading infection.With coronavirus in the news I'm beginning to feel like a leper so many folk have asked if I've been abroad.
All other remedy suggestions welcome

GagaJo Sat 29-Feb-20 12:02:07

Oooh, I'd be interested if the Sterimar spray works. I have chronic sinusitis and am using decongestant spray since I had a cold 3 weeks ago, because without it I can't breathe. Pretty sure I have a sinus infection, but DON'T want antibiotics.

The salt water spray might help.

anniezzz09 Sat 29-Feb-20 12:07:06

Yes I've used Sterimar and found it effective. I always take high dose vitamin c, it needs to have zinc with it, Redoxon is good. In addition I did a lot of gargling with Corsodyl and that finally moved on the recent long standing cough/cold bug. My teeth receive regular dental attention but I was getting endless sore throats and I wondered if bacteria were lingering. Anyway who knows but there are some nasty bugs around.

GagaJo Sat 29-Feb-20 12:08:43

I've been getting a couple of little spots by my nostrils, which I assume is from the bacteria of the infection.

For me it is always the sinuses rather than my throat. Not sure how to DIY treat that though.

DoraMarr Sat 29-Feb-20 12:14:49

Well, hand, foot and mouth disease is doing the rounds, so if any of us have grandchildren at nursery or infant school that may catch up with us. Two grandchildren have had it so far, and I haven’t caught it, but my daughter has, and she has felt really rotten! She has now been signed off work for a further week. If your grandchildren get it, it’s a mild disease in children, but just don’t kiss the little tykes, and do a lot of handwashing!

GagaJo Sat 29-Feb-20 12:17:02

My grandson had that twice. Had JUST got rid of it (think he'd passed it on to a little friend) and then got it again.

He was OK the first time but ill the second. His POOR little face and bottom!

SueDonim Sat 29-Feb-20 14:33:52

Dh and ds1 have used Sterimar and it is effective.

If it’s lasted five weeks, do you think it could be an allergy/hay fever rather than a cold? You could try an antihistamine and see if that improves the situation.

EllanVannin Sat 29-Feb-20 14:34:06

Keep it to yourself paddyanne smile

Sparklefizz Sat 29-Feb-20 14:44:05

paddyanne as I am currently still working 3 days a week and feel as if I'm spreading infection.

Well, actually you are spreading infection! Sorry, paddy but you are not doing anyone any favours. No one is indispensable and you would probably have shaken it off earlier if you had given your body some rest.

Hope you soon feel better. Echinacea is good for fighting off colds and 'flu, together with Vit C and Zinc.

lemongrove Sat 29-Feb-20 14:47:38

Yes, Sterimar is excellent for sinus related problems.??

paddyanne Sat 29-Feb-20 14:57:07

sorry Sparklefizz I'm afraid I am indespensible,we're self employed ,have cut staff over the last couple of years and now theres just we two heading for retirement.If a job comes in or is in the diary than I need to do it .Thats why I used the stuff that affected my BP ,so I could go to work

Callistemon Sat 29-Feb-20 15:06:21

paddyanne I bought a natural spray a few months ago but did not, in fact, find it as effective as the normal one. I think it was Otrivine so yours may be more effective.

Don't wish to cheer you up or anything - but I was just getting over a cold and then started with another which came on very suddenly before Christmas, it quickly transformed into a cough and choking and has not gone properly yet. I can't remember the last time I had a cough.

Vitamins D and C and zinc may help and I have also heard that a black elderberry supplement eg Sambucal, is good.

However, if you are shivering still perhaps it's time to see a doctor as you may have an infection and need antibiotics.

I hope you feel better soon.

Squiffy Sat 29-Feb-20 16:12:26

Sterimar is very good. I also use Sinuforce, another salty spray, which comes in a handy small size for popping in your pocket or handbag.

BlueBelle Sat 29-Feb-20 16:18:57

As I live 30 seconds from the sea I might go and capture some sea water free of charge
Good luck with the cold there was one going round before Christmas that lasted weeks and weeks
Anyone want some sea water ?

Callistemon Sat 29-Feb-20 17:00:26

A cold dip in the sea every day is supposed to work wonders to boost your immune system.
Perhaps it's because the seawater gets up your nose.

Caveat: Don't try it at the moment, though, paddyanne, it could make you worse.

paddyanne Sat 29-Feb-20 17:01:44

Thanks ladies I,'ve used it twice now and while it seems to dry things up for a wee while it wears off quite quickly,maybe it needs a decent trial .I'll keep going with it and have a look for the Sinuforce mentioned by Squiffy

SueDonim Sat 29-Feb-20 18:24:29

I think it only relieves symptoms for a while, Paddyanne, it’s not a cure as such. Still worthwhile using though, even if you just get an hour or two’s relief.

My son found that it stopped colds turning into sinus infections, presumably by preventing infected matter (yuk!) getting into the sinuses.

Hope you feel better soon.

Pittcity Sat 29-Feb-20 19:51:13

I use it to clear blocked sinuses and it works. I am a lightweight when it comes to medication so anything natural is welcome.

Hetty58 Sat 29-Feb-20 19:59:26

After five weeks it's probably more than one cold. Poor you! A girl at the checkout was coughing and everyone backed away. She just had a tickle in her throat (she smokes) but the panic was pretty obvious!

I can't remember when I last had a cold but found an antihistamine at bed time useful.

Chewbacca Sat 29-Feb-20 19:59:50

I had a heavy cough and cold and ended up with sinusitis for 4 weeks. I found the Otrivtrine nasal spray quite helpful but the best thing was the Netti Pot my DS got me. It's a small jug, looks a bit like a little Aladdins lamp, that you fill with warm salt water. Tilt your head to one side and back and put the nozzle of the pot into one nostril and pour in the saline solution. It goes up and then streams back out of the other nostril, bringing lots of gunk with it. Repeat on the other side. I used mine for 2 days and the improvement was amazing. At £2.99 its cheaper than Sterimar.

paddyanne Sat 29-Feb-20 20:08:44

Did she get that on Amazon Chewbacca might be worth getting in advance of the next one,hopefully that'll be a while away as I haven't had a cold for years

Kalu Sat 29-Feb-20 20:21:20

No use to you now paddyanne but when I felt the beginning of yet another cold a few days ago I started using First Defence nasal spray which actually worked?

To combat scratchy throat I do salt gargles and also salt water nasal inhalation which I allow to trickle down behind my nose to my throat. Also, lots of fluids including honey and lemon hot drinks.

I had very painful sinusitis a few years ago and the only remedy, after trying many, was Kali Bich, a homeopathic treatment. The pain and condition were gone in 2/3 days. Wonderful stuff.

Hope you feel much better soon.

Chewbacca Sat 29-Feb-20 20:24:35

Yes Paddyann, he got it from Amazon. I think you can get them in some chemists shops but not many. They're such a simple idea and I was amazed at how effective they are. Cheap as chips too!

annodomini Sat 29-Feb-20 20:26:47

You can make your own sinus rinse. Three tsp of table salt to 1tsp bicarb. Keep the mix in a container and add a tsp of the mix to half a pint of water. It can be used in a Sterimar bottle or in the NettiPot Chewbacca describes. Be careful not to make the mixture too strong. The result can be painful - I know.

Chewbacca Sat 29-Feb-20 20:37:54

Doesn't the bicarb make it fizz up your nose annodomini? I'm thinking it could be a bit explosive if you got the mix a tad wrong! grin all sorts of images in my mind's eye