Gransnet forums

Health

Loo roll shortages/panic buying

(169 Posts)
Nonogran Sat 07-Mar-20 14:32:56

I read an article today about how to cleanse ones nether regions in the absence of loo roll due to panic buying. The article suggested that a bottle of water could be directed at the parts to be cleansed but to me, seemed a "hit & miss' solution. In the past and sometimes present I have found it more helpful to keep a small (dedicated) washing up bowl in the bathroom, small enough to fit into the toilet bowl with lid and seat lifted. Fill bowl with warm water, place within the circumference of toilet porcelain and use as one would a bidet. Clean and comfy without recourse to loo roll. Hope this helps if there's a paper crisis on your local area?

M0nica Tue 10-Mar-20 00:03:49

Anyone panic buying loo roll is advertising how badly their household is run. I always have several rolls of loo paper beside each loo.

I did however by one extra pack of kitchen towel. It has many uses; hankies, wipes and soft loo paper.

Grandmafrench Mon 09-Mar-20 23:56:11

curvygran950 just read your post.....I'm crying here. Did you see jura that the Government here have agreed that Pharmacies may now make up their own hand gel and sell it - at strictly fixed prices ?

Ohmother Mon 09-Mar-20 22:11:29

I’ve put my work contract aside. ??

SueDonim Mon 09-Mar-20 21:42:49

Kellensc! grin.

I’ve remembered that the copy I read was borrowed from a friend so I don’t even have that to fall back on. But it’s ok, I’ve saved the wrapping paper from dd’s birthday presents yesterday. wink

MissAdventure Mon 09-Mar-20 21:25:38

ananimous grin

Sallywally1 Mon 09-Mar-20 21:04:36

We were very impressed with the toilets in Turkey when we visited, so when we re did our bathroom we asked for something similar. We could not get the Turkish system, but did instal the ‘bum gun’ way. It is good and cuts down the amount of paper which, on occasion, may prove necessary. It is also useful when cleaning the loo after someone (no names mentioned) has used it and not removed the residue themselves! I think visiting other countries can educate us. For example when in the Caribbean I was reminded of the fact that water can be in short supply and their systems unreliable, so disposal of paper was in a separate container.

We are blessed in the UK with our safe water and reliable plumbing and should not take it for granted. (Lecture over!)

ananimous Mon 09-Mar-20 20:58:22

I was walking through a supermarket when a tower of toilet paper fell on me
I'm worried I have soft tissue damage.

ananimous Mon 09-Mar-20 20:57:41

A lot of people will prefer luxury toilet paper over cheaper brands;
But on the whole they're no different.

ananimous Mon 09-Mar-20 20:54:47

Two rolls of toilet paper walked into a bar.
...one ran out.

Coolgran65 Mon 09-Mar-20 20:53:45

I'm also on metformin. Can use a lot of loo roll!!

Ohmother Mon 09-Mar-20 20:42:18

Kellense. That’s what I’d call a panty (!)pad! ?

kelleensc Mon 09-Mar-20 19:35:30

@SueDonim What if your unwanted 50 Shades is the Kindle edition? grin

Hetty58 Mon 09-Mar-20 18:32:09

I've always fed my dogs a grain and soya free diet to avoid the wind problem. Put a small bowl upside down in a bigger bowl, then their food in the narrow outer part - to stop them eating too quickly.

jura2 Mon 09-Mar-20 18:28:03

Absolutely no sign of panic buying in France today- only thig missing was hand gel. Tried to get Aloe Vera gel and tea tree oil to make my own- sold out too.

Ohmother Mon 09-Mar-20 18:25:22

Here it is. I hope I’m OK to post it on here.

Ohmother Mon 09-Mar-20 18:23:46

3nanny6. For your dogs may I recommend charcoal that you buy ( we got ours from the local equestrian suppliers) in a tub and sprinkle about a teaspoonful on each meal. It works for our two labs and they were horrendous!

tickingbird Mon 09-Mar-20 16:45:18

The hoarding disgusts me. The sheep mentality and me, me, me attitude is appalling. I have even read posts on this forum of GN’s stocking up way beyond their needs. I have just been to a huge Asda and there were no toilets rolls at all, no pasta and hand sanitizer. Dettol wipes and similar were very sparse and there was very little bleach. When I asked an assistant if they were going to ration she said yes, you could only buy two packs of 24 toilet rolls! Why allow people to take 48 toilet rolls? It really is madness and, personally, I believe the supermarkets are encouraging it. I know for a fact prices on certain items have increased.

3nanny6 Mon 09-Mar-20 16:14:00

SallyB392 sorry to hear you have that medical condition hope it is not painful having no bowel movement for 7-10 days like you say a blessing at the moment for usage of loo rolls.

Ohmother : Sorry to hear you are on medication as well. Without being rude to you about the Metformin you take I think they must be putting some into the dry dog food I give the pets as they are uncontrollable with their farts and could clear a room in no time.

Ohmother Mon 09-Mar-20 14:28:42

SallyB392 ?. You lucky thing! I’m on Metformin and anyone else on Metformin will know the side effects besides uncontrollable farts!! ?

curvygran950 Mon 09-Mar-20 14:19:40

The next shortage will be Imodium;people will be panic - buying to bung themselves up......for when the hoarded loo paper runs out .

SallyB392 Mon 09-Mar-20 14:09:18

On the basis of everything has a silver lining, I have a medical condition which leads to my only emptying my bowels once every week to 10 days, usually curse it, but we won't use much paper ?

Franbern Mon 09-Mar-20 11:43:57

Thanks MawB and narrowboatman - the more we take the mickey out of people who are hoarding the better. Just wish that the media would take all news on this particular virus off their headlines, should just be (at most) an update at end of news bulletins. The media is fuelling this whole panic process.

3nanny6 Mon 09-Mar-20 11:21:05

To have a banner saying "when they are gone they are gone" is totally out of order I am also a Sainsburys shopper and after finding the shelves stripped bare of loo rolls on Saturday I think they are handling panic buying wrong in fact they are doing nothing to keep shelves stocked.
You were right to buy the large pack of toilet rolls after all you needed them and you bought what you could find.

Franbern Mon 09-Mar-20 11:17:32

Just back from my normal weekly shop at Sainsburys. All shelves were pretty fully stocked as usual - including loo rolls, kitchen towels, soap, gels, etc. etc. Think there is so much hoarding of these, that in a few weeks time, supermarkets, etc. will be desperate to shift them - perhaps even reduce the prices. Nobody was purchasing anything more than one pack - all different size packs were available.

craftyone Mon 09-Mar-20 11:09:34

my sainsbury is pretty normal on all shelves except loo rolls and all shelves were empty. I had a single pack of 4 on my list and they only had 5 x packs of 28 rolls at the end of the aisle, under a banner of `when they are gone they are gone`. So yes today I became a toilet roll hoarder as did 4 other older people and we all felt embarassed but so be it