Gransnet forums

Health

Loo roll shortages/panic buying

(168 Posts)
Nonogran Sat 07-Mar-20 14:32:56

I read an article today about how to cleanse ones nether regions in the absence of loo roll due to panic buying. The article suggested that a bottle of water could be directed at the parts to be cleansed but to me, seemed a "hit & miss' solution. In the past and sometimes present I have found it more helpful to keep a small (dedicated) washing up bowl in the bathroom, small enough to fit into the toilet bowl with lid and seat lifted. Fill bowl with warm water, place within the circumference of toilet porcelain and use as one would a bidet. Clean and comfy without recourse to loo roll. Hope this helps if there's a paper crisis on your local area?

Mamardoit Sat 07-Mar-20 15:14:04

I'm sure we can all wash bums. What should we sing while we do it?

Anyone with copies of the Guardian newspaper could use that.

It was very normal during my childhood to go into outside toilets and see squares of newspaper strung up ready for use.

There is no loo roll shortage here. The only empty shelves I've seen are the ones that usually contain 3 kg bags of pasta. not much flour left either.

Hetty58 Sat 07-Mar-20 15:21:31

No baked beans or granulated sugar in my local shop today. I bought (expensive) caster sugar for my tea! There's a big box of old paperbacks in the garage, as the charity shop don't want them, so running out of loo roll is not much of a problem.

NannyJan53 Sat 07-Mar-20 15:29:36

Plenty of toilet rolls in our local Aldi this morning, in fact I didn't notice any empty shelves at all.

curvygran950 Sat 07-Mar-20 15:29:49

Let's hope the drain clearing people don't get the virus .
They're going to be needed unblock waste pipes!

Coolgran65 Sat 07-Mar-20 15:33:29

I needed loo roll today. Got the last pack in local Asda.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 07-Mar-20 15:40:35

Aldi had full shelves this morning, only things out of stock were paracetamol and gel hand sanitizer, loads of sanitising wipes though.

rafichagran Sat 07-Mar-20 15:40:45

I have got loo roll too, no problem. Only took one pack though. Not going to panic buy.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 07-Mar-20 15:52:13

Mamardoit - I recommend the Daily Mail, Daily Express, Sun and Daily Telegraph as loo paper.

Far more appropriate than The Guardian.

kircubbin2000 Sat 07-Mar-20 15:58:30

In some of the middle East countries people use a jug of water. I'm not sure how it works without soaking yourself.

Jane10 Sat 07-Mar-20 15:59:56

As required.

SueDonim Sat 07-Mar-20 16:07:13

With the mention of unwanted paperbacks, maybe the loo roll crisis will be handy for getting rid of all those unloved copies of Fifty Shades of Grey!

You wouldn’t put the pages down the loo, instead just do as they do in other counties and keep a special bin in the bathroom for used paper, which can then be disposed of with household rubbish.

Jane10 grin

Bbarb Sat 07-Mar-20 16:16:29

I remember sitting threading squares of newspaper onto string with my gran in front of a big black kitchen range, back in the day. My brother was allowed to use a knife to tear along the folds and I had the needle (a huge thing they used for sewing up woolsacks on the farm).
The resulting 'bum paper' was hung up in the outside privvy and we thought nothing of it, Nowaddays I often wonder if we had ink on our bottoms! That was in the days when we had one bath a week in front of the fire.
I liked SueDonim' suggestion of paperbacks smile

BlueSky Sat 07-Mar-20 17:12:01

I couldn't believe the pasta shelves, didn't realise it was that popular, not even if we were in Italy! I would be stuck for toast in the morning if there was a shortage of bread. Any ideas what I could use (and store)? But why should there be a shortage or is it because you shouldn't venture out?

Jane10 Sat 07-Mar-20 17:33:58

I've bought a few things in case I have to self isolate and I don't want other people to have to bother with doing my shopping. Sausage rolls and bread rolls in the freezer. Cheese and crackers. That's it. They'll all be used anyway. Also a packet of Dreamies for Baz!

NotAGran55 Sat 07-Mar-20 17:43:07

Waitrose loo roll aisle this morning .

jura2 Sat 07-Mar-20 17:47:51

NAG55 - this is just shocking sad

arosebyanyothername Sat 07-Mar-20 17:53:52

Ridiculous!
The media, especially our local radio station, is making it worse by continually commenting on shortages.

NotAGran55 Sat 07-Mar-20 17:56:06

I as amazed to be honest Jura.
As a result there were only a few boxes of tissues and kitchen rolls on the shelves .
The paracetamol / painkiller shelf was also completely empty , but there was plenty of food although the rice and dried pasta were a little sparse .

eazybee Sat 07-Mar-20 17:58:22

I went to the Co op this morning, and although the shelves were not fully stocked, there were plenty of 9- packs available. I bought one, as did most people, but there was no panic buying.

Hetty58 Sat 07-Mar-20 18:09:55

Here we are - a comprehensive guide for the awful emergency of no loo roll (and/or blocked sewer so using a hole in the garden). Here's what most people on the planet do:

gogoguano.wordpress.com/2016/09/14/a-guide-to-cleaning-yourself-without-toilet-paper/

GagaJo Sat 07-Mar-20 18:14:09

I did an Asda online shop today. Between doing the order and paying for it, several items had gone out of stock. There were plenty of alternatives to all the basics though.

No need to worry!

3nanny6 Sat 07-Mar-20 18:25:31

Just checking in to this thread there has been no hand-bac in my area for last two weeks.
Today went to big Sainsburys with my daughter and shelves were completely bare of toilet rolls and kitchen rolls.
We went to the smaller Sainsburys and exactly the same.

I knew where I could buy some so went to local small 99p shop and she had loads in there. I normally would not buy too many but because supermarkets were empty I bought 5 packets of 6 in pack and my daughter did the same.
This panic buying is silly and if it is going on then the big supermarkets should only allow one large pack per person.

lemongrove Sat 07-Mar-20 18:31:41

Did an Ocado online shop today, can’t be delivered before Wed!
Our usual loo rolls out of stock ( but Waitrose ones were available instead.)
Apparently the Sainsbury in nearby town are sold out of pump type handwash and also bars of soap.Nobody has ever been cleaner!
All crazy of course, a bar of soap lasts a very long time.
There has been a world wide shortage of Ibuprofen since Christmas, nothing to do with Covid-19 or Brexit btw.

lemongrove Sat 07-Mar-20 18:33:21

Quite why anyone would need huge supplies of loo rolls is a total mystery.....don’t buy into the panic buying by adding to it!