Gransnet forums

Health

Self-isolation

(23 Posts)
annep1 Tue 10-Mar-20 11:06:37

We are doing the same as Newquay. I think all retired elderly folk who don't have unavoidable commitments should have been advised to minimise contact with others. We are a bit bored but getting on with it. It's not a great hardship in the scheme of things. We can still do nice walks of course. I think we all need to be sensible.

MamaCaz Mon 09-Mar-20 18:56:01

Both I and DS2 and DiL (we don't live together but do see each other several times a week) have had cold-type symptoms for the last month that just won't clear.
I don't know what we have, but anyone getting the same thing now could be in for a very long period of self-isolation under the proposed measures!

Hetty58 Mon 09-Mar-20 18:42:03

craftyone, I don't understand 'I think this will be mandatory in a weeks time'. Who would police or enforce it?

We may well be socially responsible, caring and sensible, but the general public?

Does anyone think that those people grabbing the last loo rolls and stealing hand sanitiser from hospitals are really going to self isolate when they get symptoms? For the benefit of strangers? Not a chance!

craftyone Mon 09-Mar-20 18:29:46

sally I put a post somewhere about T cells. There is a biological reason why it is extremely mild in children and from 60 is potentially very serious. Too complicated to explain here. EVERY 60+ is at high risk

phoenix Mon 09-Mar-20 17:36:20

We had a meeting at work today, I was told that any sign of anyone with it, I would be asked to stay at home because of my COPD.

Fortunately I can do some my job from home.

craftyone Mon 09-Mar-20 17:19:32

anyone with a common cold will have to self-isolate for 7 days, I think this will be mandatory in a weeks time. 7 days is enough for a cold to manifest and start fading, it will be more certain than second guessing covid-19

Newquay Mon 09-Mar-20 17:11:23

We were planning to visit DD2 this weekend. She’s asked us not to go. Her DH is a consultant; he told us to sit tight; avoid crowds/groups especially, of course, our at risk age group. So, being sensible (!) we went to top up shopping this morning-OK now for at least two weeks. DH and I are staying in, missing all our groupssad We’ll have a local walk in fresh air but that’s all!

Daisymae Mon 09-Mar-20 15:53:14

There is actually a case in Cheltenham which is community based. This is sheer folly.

Daisymae Mon 09-Mar-20 15:51:55

Sally - totally agree. The government do not want to make a decision. They refuse to learn from what is happening in Italy. Wonder how things are going at Cheltenham?

SallyB392 Mon 09-Mar-20 13:40:59

The government's response to the increasing numbers of Covid 19 cases? Nothing!

The bottom line is that most of us will get it at some point. To say the infection is very mild in children and very serious at 60 yrs old is pure craziness. The illness will be VERY severe in some children, just as it will be mild in some over 60's.

My concern is that the numbers being reported are not accurate at all. I know of people who have come in to contact with others who have been skiing in Italy. One in particular has been really poorly, in bed for 11 with all the symptoms of the the new virus, 11 days now. Despite reporting his symptoms to 101, he's not been tested, his family haven't been told to isolate (so 2 children at 2 different schools, been to supermarkets, clubs the works).

I believe this virus is with us already.

cupaffull Mon 09-Mar-20 13:33:28

Trouble is tho it is generally mild in youngsters, they may pass it on to parents, who also may have contact with elderly people.
"No man is an island" ....We all have responsibilities to others in our communities/environment
Imo we can all do our bit by maintaining distance, good handwashing and minimise our movements as much as possible to minimise further spread until warmer months.

craftyone Mon 09-Mar-20 13:27:40

I am ready, including lovely things to do here and a cycle to ride on my own. I fully intend to preserve myself through this first peak, to give nhs time and not be a statistic. Much easier being widowed and no worrying about a husband with copd etc

mumofmadboys Mon 09-Mar-20 13:20:38

It is a very mild illness in children. I realise they may give it to more vulnerable people

Nandalot Mon 09-Mar-20 12:15:01

Yes, as I posted on another thread our local secondary school went on a skiing trip to Northern Italy at the weekend. I am very concerned, because even if the ones who went skiing self isolate I am sure they will have siblings who go to our DGCs primary school.
They said they would understand if any parent preferred their child didn’t go but they would not be covered by insurance.
Also it seems it is okay to take time off in term time for skiing and possibly further self isolation time!

EllanVannin Mon 09-Mar-20 11:49:41

What about the passengers who flew back with the man who died over the weekend ? No news about them having been checked. He was in his 60's with underlying health conditions.
I think it was Manchester ?

Luckygirl Mon 09-Mar-20 11:48:25

I had also wondered about the flight crews.

annep1 Mon 09-Mar-20 11:30:08

I feel sorry for the flight crews. I wonder how they feel.

Lucca Mon 09-Mar-20 11:27:05

Fair enough point about closing schools but taking a trip to Italy is different

annep1 Mon 09-Mar-20 11:10:17

People are still flying in freely from everywhere to NI. No checks. I don't understand it.
I read that in Russia citizens have been threatened with up to 5 years in prison if they don't self isolate on returning from an affected country.

Riverwalk Mon 09-Mar-20 10:04:46

I expect things will change after today's COBRA meeting.

I still can't work out how closing schools will benefit the wider community but it's what some countries are doing to contain the virus.

Very difficult decisions ahead for the government.

Lucca Mon 09-Mar-20 09:58:39

re the school trip if that is true the surely it’s time our government stepped in and stopped such lunacy. Quite apart from anything else if there’s a broken bone for example hospitals in northern Italy are at breaking point. Pure selfishness.

Parsley3 Mon 09-Mar-20 09:39:36

I have just heard on LBC that a school in England is refusing to cancel a skiing trip to Italy. The parent, who phoned in, is not allowing her child to go but presumably some children and staff will go because the cost will not be refundable. Health before money, surely. Don’t go!

Luckygirl Mon 09-Mar-20 09:30:29

I cannot see how this this going to work. It relies on goodwill and a modicum of intelligence - already on another website someone is saying that her OH would refuse to do it.

And as for advising people not to go to Italy, but allowing in flights FROM Italy...........!