Gransnet forums

Health

Hand sanitiser

(56 Posts)
Gingster Tue 10-Mar-20 19:20:51

I can’t buy hand gel sanitiser anywhere. Even on line. It’s either currently unavailable or expensive and can’t deliver for a month. Any ideas or does anyone make their own?

SadafGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Mar-20 11:40:10

Hi all, We understand that it's impossible to buy hand sanitiser at the moment and that there are many DIY alternatives circulating on social and other media. Please be aware that we cannot verify whether these are effective or not, and users are encouraged to follow recommended guidelines from health professionals in this - and other - areas.

janeainsworth Wed 11-Mar-20 11:43:21

No you haven’t got it wrong bathsheba.

CherryCezzy Wed 11-Mar-20 11:54:33

I will say this one last time, it seems to me that the message getting through is on % is still leading to some confusion, the % is the proof not the content quantity in the solution .

CherryCezzy Wed 11-Mar-20 12:07:21

Yes GNHQ I absolutely agree with that. All I am trying to do is alert people to the fact that misinformation can be dangerous. I am not following anything on social media or other media. If people are to understand the issue regarding the dangerous use of chemicals I thought I would try to explain it. If I am adding to people's confusion I will say no more. The back of a bottle of Dettol makes it clear that there are dangers using concentrated forms and does provide safe information for the correct way to use it for medically hygienic use. I will refrain from saying anymore. I just wanted to alert people to the hazards of use of surgical spirit.

janeainsworth Wed 11-Mar-20 12:12:31

But you haven’t actually told us what the hazards are, Cherry.

janeainsworth Wed 11-Mar-20 12:20:02

Here is the WHO on the risks of isopropyl alcohol in hand sanitiser.
www.who.int/gpsc/tools/faqs/abhr2/en/

janeainsworth Wed 11-Mar-20 12:21:46

Quote from the above link:
Q: Are health care staff adversely affected in any way by the alcohol when cleaning their hands?

A: There is no evidence to suggest this. Published studies to date have shown that after using the handrubs, alcohol levels found in the blood are insignificant (ethanol) or not detectable (iso-propyl).

Daddima Wed 11-Mar-20 12:29:32

This shows the varying degrees of contamination.

CherryCezzy Wed 11-Mar-20 12:49:17

Handscrubs only contain a teaspoon full of Surgical Spirit.

CherryCezzy Wed 11-Mar-20 12:55:41

I'm leaving it there because a) I have to leave the house and will not be able to post again until much later this evening, b) because I don't seem to be getting the safety message across and c) GNHQ, like me have concerns about misinformation and irresponsible advice.

SirChenjin Wed 11-Mar-20 13:04:24

Would these work as hand wipes? For my son at school www.amazon.co.uk/Alcohol-Isopropyl-Antibacterial-Medical-Antiseptic/dp/B07PYPDCC4/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?hvlocphy=1007366&hvnetw=g&keywords=isopropyl+alcohol&hvadid=259098429308&qid=1583931771&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_f-Owr2S6AIVRMjeCh2-TAIREAAYASAAEgJGAPD_BwE&hydadcr=21375_1762433&hvdev=m&hvqmt=e&tag=gransnetforum-21&hvtargid=kwd-295573179256&adgrpid=52030223006&hvrand=8212415392230806106&sr=8-6

SirChenjin Wed 11-Mar-20 13:05:29

Hand soap appears to in be short supply in the school toilets and he doesn’t always have time to trawl the school looking for some

SirChenjin Wed 11-Mar-20 13:06:04

He refuses to take any in with him as it’s ‘not cool’ angry

Grannmarie Wed 11-Mar-20 15:34:11

B and M store had 150ml bottles of Cuticura hand sanitizer at the tills this afternoon. They actually had a sign at the entrance saying No Hand Sanitizer, and there was none on the shelves, so obviously they are keeping them at the check out for genuine customers. The check out operator said there was no rationing, but I only bought two, no need to panic buy.

Fennel Thu 12-Mar-20 12:37:46

What is it?
I have some product which I was given to use in the shower before an operation. Would that do?

janeainsworth Thu 12-Mar-20 19:00:24

What does the content list say, Fennel?

Fennel Thu 12-Mar-20 20:17:48

A hard question this time of the evening!
It's called octenisan.ingreds:
Aqua, Cocamidopropylamine Oxide PEG7 etc

janeainsworth Thu 12-Mar-20 20:51:03

I don’t know Fennel sorry. Maybe you could ask at your local pharmacy?

CherryCezzy Fri 13-Mar-20 14:09:50

Fennel, Octenisa is an anti-allergenic, anti-bacterial, anti- microbial full hair & body wash. It does not contain Isopropyl alcohol but it should be more than suitable. It is kind to the skin and therefore less harsh than a hand sanitizer.

paddyanne Fri 13-Mar-20 15:36:26

I've bought hydrogen peroxide from the chemist,you just have to sign their book and say what you want it for .

CherryCezzy Fri 13-Mar-20 15:49:47

paddyanne, what did you tell them you are using it for? Do you intend to mix it with anything else? If so, what?
Whatever you do, it is not a good idea to mix it with Isopropyl alcohol.
I can't do links but this is a good place to start for anyone considering using Isopropyl Alcohol as it provides information re. It's use of and the dangers:
Rubbing Alcohol and Safety Mistakes, apartment therapy.com.

janeainsworth Fri 13-Mar-20 17:47:12

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.apartmenttherapy.com/rubbing-alcohol-uses-safety-mistakes-262542%3famp=1

www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-hand-sanitizer-safety-36723342

Cherry I think the top link is the one you’re referring to.
The second one is a link from within the article.

I really don’t know why you’re so exercised about people making their own hand sanitiser or why you place so much faith on pseudo-scientific websites like apartment therapy.com.
I prefer to be guided by organisations like the WHO.
In fact, neither of the above articles advise against using isopropyl alcohol or aloe vera gel. The only warning is that it may cause some minor skin irritation. If that happens, it’s easy enough to deal with.

You only need a few drops each time you apply it. I have had no skin irritation so far.

Luckygirl Fri 13-Mar-20 18:03:50

I have some hibiscrub here which the district nurse used on her hands when she was dealing with my OH's pressure sore. Might that be suitable? Anyone know the answer to this? I am wondering if it is only effective against bacteria.

tiredoldwoman Fri 13-Mar-20 18:18:01

Yes, Fennel , I too used my left over Hibiscrub this morning .

CherryCezzy Fri 13-Mar-20 19:39:04

janeansworth I am not putting my faith in any pseudo science ( to be honest I did only glance through the initial page of the article and saw it explained that Surgical Spirit is corrosive). Surgical Spirit in concentrated forms is corrosive. Why are you getting so het up with me? By the way, have you actually read my posts properly? Where have I advised against using aloe vera? I have not. I have been given to understand that you are/ were a dentist, not a chemist, is that correct! Have you seen in evidence the corrosive damage concentrated forms of Surgical Spirit can do! I have. I am not exercised by anything other than concern for other people. I will not be cowed by concerted efforts to prevent me from getting a safety message across. I am putting faith in my father's and brother's expertise, some of which was passed on to me. Both were chemical engineers. I am also putting faith in the knowledge my mother passed on from her time working in a chemical laboratory and I am putting faith in those who educated me about the safe use of chemicals for medical purposes. If you think that I am wrong to do this or have written anything inaccurate and/or irresponsible report my posts.