Gransnet forums

Health

coffee withdrawal

(19 Posts)
lyndaann55 Tue 10-Mar-20 22:12:20

has anyone tried to stop coffee? what was the withdrawal like..

jacq10 Tue 10-Mar-20 22:27:03

Before I retired (15yrs ago!) I had my "last cup" in the office around 4.00pm as I knew I was drinking too many coffees. I lasted until late Sunday afternoon. I felt awful, had a raging headache and gave in. Fast forward to last year and decided I really needed to cut down. Tried many brands of decaf before finding one I enjoyed. I now limit myself to two nespressos a day either in the house or when out with friends I have a flat white or cortado and enjoy my top ups of decaf and I do feel the better for it.

Coolgran65 Wed 11-Mar-20 00:35:53

Years ago I was in hospital. The lady in the next bed was really poorly,crying, shaking, awful tremors..The medical staff couldn't get her settled. Then one of the nurses had a brainwave and brought the patient a cup of coffee. All was good. The patient was a heavy coffee drinker and hadn't had any since being admitted.

Jane10 Wed 11-Mar-20 06:31:43

For decades I started the day with 2 mugs of strong filter coffee. I decided to stop last November. I was absolutely fine. No headaches, nothing. Now I start the day with Earl Grey.

boheminan Wed 11-Mar-20 07:45:14

After visiting a herbalist, I was advised to give up drinking coffee, so put myself on the de-caff. It was awful. I went down from three mugs strong coffee to 1 mug de-caff. Within 3 weeks I was back on the strong stuff - but the original problem I went to the herbalist for disappeared anyway.

I believe coffee's fine in small doses and would recommend using less per mug and trying to cut down amount drunk rather than going cold turkey.

vampirequeen Wed 11-Mar-20 07:53:51

I haven't given up coffee but I gave up diet coke which is high in caffeine. I was drinking six or more cans a day. The withdrawal was awful. Migraine type headaches, body aches, exhaustion, fever/cold and upset stomach. It lasted about three weeks (not all really bad symptoms) but was worth it. I still drink normal coffee.

What about mixing ordinary and decaf coffee together at first and gradually increase the decaf in the mixture until it's all decaf?

Katyj Wed 11-Mar-20 08:41:59

Last year I bought decaf instant coffee by mistake and didn’t notice. I didn’t feel well at all a continuous headache and felt quite fluey. After about 3 weeks the penny dropped! ( I know I’m a bit dippy ) started with the proper stuff again and felt better. It’s not good though is it, to be so addicted.Now I alternate between the two, so probably have two mugs a day, and hope for the best.

Hetty58 Wed 11-Mar-20 08:48:20

All I've managed is to make a smaller cup, rather than a huge mug, and alternate with tea. It still has to be strong as I just don't like weaker or decaff.

aggie Wed 11-Mar-20 08:53:19

I am a tea addict ! However I had to try and stop caffeine so started to use Red Bush , I stopped coffee at the same time .
My original problem cleated up but I still felt rotten , low grade headache, tetchy and tired. When it dawned on me what the cause was I decided to ride it out and all is ok now

sodapop Wed 11-Mar-20 08:58:02

I would follow boheminan's advice and cut down gradually. Good luck lyndaann

BlueSky Wed 11-Mar-20 11:03:52

But coffee is actually good for you same as red wine and chocolate! The key word of course if moderation!

SueDonim Wed 11-Mar-20 12:16:40

I go off coffee any time I’m ill. I’ve never noticed any particular side effects of going without it. I always know I’m recovering when I fancy a cup of coffee!

GrannyLaine Wed 11-Mar-20 12:31:17

Firstly, coffee is my one vice in life and I don't think I'm likely to be persuaded to give it up. When I have to go without it, as others have mentioned, I get a banging headache and feel generally horrible.
Interestingly, with each one of my pregnancies, I couldn't stand it for the first 14 weeks or so.

JackyB Wed 11-Mar-20 12:43:14

I can't drink coffee - it turns my stomach over. Now - tea on the other hand....

No idea how to reduce if you're addicted. Just slowly reduce the amount each time you have a cup?

trisher Wed 11-Mar-20 12:46:42

I tried once had the most awful headache and felt dreadful. When I attended drug information evenings at my DSs schools I loved putting my hand up when asked "Who takes drugs?" and admitting my drug of choice was coffee!!

TrendyNannie6 Wed 11-Mar-20 13:28:36

I used to drink coffee not large amounts although I loved it, it did make my stomach really ache, so I just stopped it, still have coffee ice cream though

nannyof4 Wed 11-Mar-20 18:40:53

I used to drink 3 cups of coffee during the day,now i only have one when i get up in the morning and also a cup of tea in the afternoon,and drink water in between times.Never had any headaches during this time.

Spidergran3 Sun 15-Mar-20 15:25:53

My one mug of coffee mid morning was a highlight (in more ways than one)! I’ve got IBS and gave it up after twigging that the awful cramps and dash were triggered by the coffee. I just drink more tea and try not to drool too much when I smell someone else’s coffee. Regarding withdrawal symptoms - I didn’t have any but I know it can happen. Years ago a friend started training to help with a drug addiction programme. He had to give up tea and coffee for two weeks to get an idea of what it is like for addicts to give up. He was in a bit of a mess!

crazyH Sun 15-Mar-20 15:31:46

Must have my coffee first thing, when I get up in the morning. I will then have one about 2pm. Tea at about 5.30 and then believe it or not, a cup of coffee at bedtime. To everyone's surprise it helps relaxes me, and cheers me up before bed.