Gransnet forums

Health

Has a anyone ever complained about nhs nursing treatment

(37 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Thu 12-Mar-20 14:14:13

As most of you may know I’ve been recovering in hospital from having a stroke and I’m really sorry to say the treatment from some folks left a lot to be desired in as much I’ve no recourse but to write a formal complaint to The nhs in order to see a change in attitude and a shift away from institutional abuse. Please pm me if you’ve ever received poor care while in hospital there are noticeable exceptions to my experiences I’d like to hear them .

Izabella Fri 13-Mar-20 11:07:10

mary51 that is extremely worrying as it should have been checked by an RN

Luckygirl Fri 13-Mar-20 11:24:01

I remember some years ago when I had my gall bladder removed by the old-fashioned cut-you-open method. I weighed about 7 stone and was very unwell and skinny - the incision was large and agony. A nursing assistant came to put me on the commode and I winced during this process. She said "What's the matter with you? - do you think you are going to break in half?" Nice lady! - it really upset me.

SueDonim Fri 13-Mar-20 14:08:06

I’ll start by saying that of course most health workers are excellent and do a fabulous job. I’ve been pretty lucky with most of my contact with the NHS.

I also recognise that there are a few who don’t come up to standard. Can I ask you to please consider making a complaint if you’ve come across such a person? My son works in the field of patient safety and the complaints hospitals receive inform his and his colleagues work to help improve services, it’s a very important element.

Luckygirl Fri 13-Mar-20 16:50:09

I understand that - but it is hard to pursue a complaint when you may not be feeling very fit. And also, the hospital department that dealt with the complaint I made did a total whitewash - so if you do decide to complain, then be prepared to hit a brick wall and to deal with the resulting frustration and irritation.

Luckygirl Fri 13-Mar-20 16:50:45

I did not want anyone rapped over the knuckles, but simply some reassurance that lessons had been learned.

SueDonim Fri 13-Mar-20 20:49:38

Yy, I understand that, Luckygirl but if it’s possible to register a complaint, it helps their work to fathom out how change the culture. smile

Humbertbear Fri 13-Mar-20 22:16:04

My elderly mother had both cataracts removed in the same operation. When she was in the recovery room I had to ask the nurse in charge for a blanket for her and then she refused to let my daughter in as well saying my mother didn’t need two people there. She refused to let another patient have anyone in to accompany her. I complained to the hospital.

trisher Fri 13-Mar-20 22:50:00

I complained about a nursing assistant when my mum was in hospital. It went all the way through the complaints procedure, when it was investigated the nursing staff closed ranks and the assistant lied. He was exonerated but I did get an apology I just hope he realised he couldn't behave the way he did and get away with it. Interestingly one of the nurses I thought was a bit unfeeling and authoritative when my mum was first admitted became the most caring and considerate member of staff when mum was seriously ill

Lizbethann55 Sat 14-Mar-20 21:06:03

I, touch wood, have never been in hospital as a patient though my mum was in and out a few times before she died at 92 4 years ago, including having a new hip at 90. I was also there a few weeks ago with my daughter who had just had a miscarriage and had to go in as a day patient to have it all "taken away". I strongly feel that, although the medical and technical side of the nursing cannot be faulted the good , old fashioned , bed side nursing care was none existent. My mum needed a colonoscopy and refused because of the awful laxatives that she needed to take. It took my brother and I ages to persuade her to have it and we only managed it when the ward sister promised her privacy and dignity. It didn't materialise and mum never forgave us. I visited one day and she wasn't in her bed. She had been taken for a scan hours before and was on a trolley outside the scan room waiting for a porter. No one from the ward had wondered where she was or checked up. One evening she phoned me and said she was really cold and had told the nurses. She was told there were no more blankets anywhere in the hospital (it's a huge teaching hospital). I spoke to the sister and said if she didn't find a blanket I would bring one from home and then go to PALS. They found one in minutes. My daughter was waiting 8 hours to be taken to surgery. The staff were lovely but not one piece of information was offered. We had to constantly ask what was happening. I eventually (politely) lost my temper. A medical person I hadn't previously seen was with the nurses at their station. She was horrified. She was in charge of the theatre and had no idea my daughter was waiting despite the nurses constantly telling me it was all in hand. I pity anyone who has no one to fight their corner.

Hetty58 Sat 14-Mar-20 21:21:49

Elizabeth1, yes, I did make a formal complaint about my late husband's 'care'. I'd promised him that I would as he didn't want anyone else to suffer the neglect and mistakes that he was subjected to when I wasn't there. I think you have a duty too.

Most of the staff were wonderful but overwhelmed by their workload. Two were abusive. Several dangerous mistakes were made by people rushing about and not checking things properly. It was horrendous! I managed to pin them down on things they weren't able to cover up, fortunately, and received an apology.

maddyone Sun 15-Mar-20 01:42:24

Yes I’ve had poor nursing care and so did my Dad before he died.