Gransnet forums

Health

What are underlying health conditions?

(106 Posts)
glammagran Fri 13-Mar-20 09:19:31

Deaths from coranavirus have been reported stating that the patients all had underlying health conditions. I assumed that these patients were already seriously ill from other causes. Now I read that one patient had high cholesterol and arthritis (same as me) and that high blood pressure (DH, under control) comes under this clause. So I’m making the assumption that nearly all people 60+ have an underlying health condition. What do others think?

LevHill Sun 09-Aug-20 16:42:41

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

welbeck Sun 09-Aug-20 23:22:25

what's this about ?

Marydoll Sun 09-Aug-20 23:34:37

I wondered about that too, Welbeck. It's an old thread and it has been picked up again, but the response doesn't answer the original question.

The OP asked for a definition for underlying health conditios.
One definitions is:
An underlying health condition is a chronic or long-term illness, which in turn weakens the immune system. This refers to a medical problem that is usually chronic or significant, and which usually requires long-term treatment.

In my opinion, the important words are, chronic and significant.

Coolgran65 Mon 10-Aug-20 00:19:03

I have COPD, controlled high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes. Plus other stuff Doomed indeed

Marydoll Mon 10-Aug-20 08:02:16

Coolgran, snap! I'm like you with RA (immunosuppressive) and a heart condition into the bargain.☹️

However, as we have been able to post here, we have obviously managed to get through the pandemic so far, so not all doom and gloom!?
We just need to hang on in there.