Gransnet forums

Health

Do you know anyone with CV?

(41 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 15-Mar-20 05:52:25

My daughter thinks she has it and is now self isolating. Her son, my grandson, seems fine.

A friend has the symptoms and is still going out and about. Very irresponsibly, IMO but she says I'm scaremongering.

GagaJo Wed 18-Mar-20 20:16:05

Funny you should say that, 52bright. I'd just read this article before looking at gransnet.

www.itv.com/news/2020-03-18/game-changer-coronavirus-test-to-reveal-whos-had-the-disease-with-no-symptoms/

Ramblingrose22 Wed 18-Mar-20 19:12:39

Sorry to be gloomy but I've just heard for the first time about a death from CV in someone I knew, though not a close a friend.

He was 71 and a diabetic so in a high risk group.

I am still in shock....

MiniMoon Wed 18-Mar-20 15:42:41

I don't know anyone with covid-19 virus. We are being careful, and following the advice being given to socially distance ourselves. I am still going to babysit for my daughter tomorrow.

BlueSky Wed 18-Mar-20 15:21:32

Good to know it's not always a serious case, even though it seems to be like that for younger people.

knickas63 Wed 18-Mar-20 15:11:04

Both my daughters and their children have it. Self isolating. Several kids and parents from their schools appear to have it.

52bright Wed 18-Mar-20 15:04:40

My daughter and her husband have all the classic signs. Dry cough temperature sore throat ext. They and their children are self isolating from today. Hoping they have it mildly.

It is interesting what people are saying about having a strange virus before Christmas. Late November dh and I had the worse doze of what we thought of as a strange flu virus we have ever had. Literally going through a box of tissues a day each and some difficulty breathing. We are rarely ill but went through boxes of lemsip when it would be usual for us to take a couple of pills if any at all at the the height of a winter cold. We had already mentioned to each other that we had maybe had Coronavirus then before I saw this thread.

It's a pity people can't be tested to see if they have had it. I would then willingly go on a register of people able to do voluntary work for the duration. As it is I have no clue about whether I have had it or not and I am in a vulnerable group so apart from shopping for my 89 year old mum and offering this for an elderly neighbour there isn't much help I can offer. DD and family have recently had a food shop so at least they are ok on that level at present. I hope they roll out testing shortly. I know dd and lots of others would be willing to volunteer for food banks ext if they knew they had definitely had the virus themselves.

Callistemon Wed 18-Mar-20 14:03:30

Sassenach It was a hope but we will carry on as if it was flu. I didn't have a flu jab and only the week before said I should go to the surgery and have it.
DH caught it after me but more mildly and he sometimes ends up with a chest infection. He had had his flu jab.

I'm assuming it was not COVID19 and will proceed as if it was not.
It would be nice to know, though.

kircubbin2000 Wed 18-Mar-20 13:39:35

Thought friends dad had it but it was something else. He had a week in isolation,nearly died yet first thing he did at home was have a cigarette!

vegansrock Wed 18-Mar-20 13:14:19

I had a ghastly flu type virus which started mid February. I have only just recovered. Cough, fever, headache, aches and pains the lot. 111 didn’t want to know unless I’d been to China, but who knows who you are in contact with on the train, bus etc. It might have been theC virus but I don’t know, I don’t want to get another virus so quickly after that one so am definitely trying self isolation / social distancing as far as possible and taking it seriously.

sassenach512 Wed 18-Mar-20 13:05:17

Callistemon we'd had our flu jabs, what we had in January was definitely respiratory, with nagging dry cough, breathlessness and high temperature. I know there are lots of viruses around in winter but this was the strangest one we've ever had. I'm convinced the Chinese knew the virus was out in the world long before they had no option but to admit to it, we'll never know for sure

Callistemon Wed 18-Mar-20 11:22:41

I think the virus at Christmas may have been seasonal flu although I did hope that I may have had Covid19 then, but that is, I think, just wishful thinking.
Sore throat, cough, shivers occasionally and a choking catarrh and productive cough that went on for weeks.

We wouldn't know unless we were tested for antibodies.

GagaJo Wed 18-Mar-20 11:18:26

That’s really nice and positive to hear B9exchange. How old are they?

B9exchange Wed 18-Mar-20 11:13:05

Friend at work's husband went down with it on Sunday, very high fever and persistent cough, completely wiped out. She immediately stayed at home and has now, four days later, gone down with it herself. But her husband is now picking up, sitting up in bed instead of lying down, and had his first cup of tea!

EllanVannin Wed 18-Mar-20 11:04:12

Makes me wonder too Joelsnan. It was definitely going round in December and I've heard since, November.

gillybob Tue 17-Mar-20 22:13:15

It’s strange you should say that Joelsnan I was thinking exactly the same . Several members of my family had cold virus’s over Christmas and into January and February too. My DS has a nasty cold right now but he’s convinced it’s CV .

GagaJo Tue 17-Mar-20 22:04:31

My daughter DOESN'T have it. I'm at home with them now and she's fine. I haven't noticed her coughing at all.

Joelsnan Tue 17-Mar-20 22:02:22

Its interesting to see that a number of people think they had this virus around Christmas time as there are folk around me who are also convinced they have had it too around Christmas time.
Maybe the virus has been around for months before China officially notified it and why it seems to have quickly gained momentum (or so it appears) this because people have only been tested since this notification and as yet there is no retroactive test to see who has had it and recovered.

gillybob Tue 17-Mar-20 21:55:57

My DS is convinced he has it . But he suffers from acute anxiety and is convinced he has everything .

PamelaJ1 Tue 17-Mar-20 21:26:11

I started a thread about my sister in law who has it and others on the thread have relatives who are also infected.

Diggingdoris Tue 17-Mar-20 20:48:43

As I'm asthmatic I would love to know if anyone has recovered who has asthma. Each death reported does not tell us what underlying condition they had.
Every little tickle or cough I have makes me paranoid that I'm next.

endlessstrife Tue 17-Mar-20 20:18:11

Have to add, my husband has never seen the Chinese girl again!

endlessstrife Tue 17-Mar-20 20:16:10

Sassenach, same here. We’re in a university town. Just after Christmas, my husband sat next to a Chinese girl at work, who’d just come over here. We were then both ill for ages. Not sure we had temperatures, it didn’t feel like it, and we didn’t take them. Of course, at that point, the whole thing was just getting going, and we didn’t make the link. We felt quite rough though. A horrible dry chest, sore throat, and just felt awful, the worst I’ve ever known. I’ve never had the flu, and neither has my husband. After this went on into several weeks, and constantly cancelling things, people were starting to question whether we actually had CV. We’re fine now, and I guess we’ll never know.

morethan2 Tue 17-Mar-20 20:03:58

Myself and granddaughter aged 7 has what looks like a bit of a head cold. Headache, bit sneezy, slightly sore throat. Her dad kept her home from school. An hour later the school rang him and asked him to come and collect her brother. He has no symptoms of what I’m convinced is a mild cold but now has to spend two weeks away from school. I have the children with me because my DiL is very ill. My son was contemplating taking the children out of school to protect my DiL so it’s probably for the best. I still think it’s a head cold. But hey ho who knows

sassenach512 Tue 17-Mar-20 19:47:48

Just saw your post MamaCaz I'm convinced my DH and I had covid just after New Year.
We had classic symptoms ie high temperature, dry constant, nagging cough but non productive, we both said we'd never had a virus like it and we'd had our flu jabs.
We are in a university city which has lots of Chinese students coming and going, so who's to say the covid virus hadn't been brought over and was here long before the Chinese government admitted to it being out of control? I kind of hope we did have it because it was horrible and I wouldn't want to go through it again

GagaJo Tue 17-Mar-20 19:20:27

Travelling home Missfoodlove. I work abroad. I’m home now. Don’t think daughter does have it. She looks fine to me.