Gransnet forums

Health

Do you know anyone with CV?

(40 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 15-Mar-20 05:52:25

My daughter thinks she has it and is now self isolating. Her son, my grandson, seems fine.

A friend has the symptoms and is still going out and about. Very irresponsibly, IMO but she says I'm scaremongering.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 15-Mar-20 06:29:04

DDs other half has all of the symptoms, he is a teacher and a pupil had symptoms earlier in the week, but her parents wouldn’t let her stay at home.

As another family member is having Chemo it’s worrying.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 15-Mar-20 06:30:24

PS
As no one is being tested it’s all supposition though.

Which IMO is even more worrying.

travelsafar Sun 15-Mar-20 06:45:55

At the moment, thank goodness, i know of no one with the virus. Hoping it stays that way.

GagaJo Sun 15-Mar-20 06:47:46

I think as long as they're not too unwell, it's fine.

It concerns me though, because tomorrow I'm supposed to go home (daughter and grandson live in my house) and at my age, with low immunities, I don't want to get it. What is your family member on chemo doing to stay safe?

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 15-Mar-20 06:56:26

gagajo I’m reluctant to post too many details on GN, in case it ends up on FB.
Can I PM you?

Curlywhirly Sun 15-Mar-20 07:08:11

The more I think about it, I think my husband had it just after Christmas. He suddenly felt very tired and had no energy, then he developed a high temperature and was drenched, followed by a very irritating dry cough. It lasted for about a week. I never caught it thankfully. But as he was never tested, we will never know.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 15-Mar-20 07:10:51

Curlywhirly had your husband been to China?
If not is was probably that awful flu that was going around.
As you say, unless we get tested no one will ever know who has had it and recovered, I assume that we could still just get the flu?

GagaJo Sun 15-Mar-20 07:23:10

Yes please, Oopsadaisy. Thank you!

Ginny42 Sun 15-Mar-20 07:26:32

My BiL may have it, but without the tests we don't know. Not like him to be ill, so it's a worry especially as my DSis has immune system deficiency. Not helpful not being able to be tested. It would put our minds at rest if we knew either way and what to expect.

How are the scientists going to analyse the location/spread and severity of the disease if there are no stats?

Hetty58 Sun 15-Mar-20 07:32:27

Yes, flu is around as usual and we won't know who has CV with no testing. Things look really grim with emergency measures coming soon, four months isolation for over 70's, schools and ports subject to closure and public transport stopped.

JCB and Rolls Royce have been asked to turn production over to ventilators - too little, too late (again).

We have half the ventilators (per person) compared to Italy, where it's like a war zone:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/14/italians-80-will-left-die-country-overwhelmed-coronavirus/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

GagaJo Sun 15-Mar-20 07:33:14

And how long are they infectious for? I can avoid going home but not indefinitely!

MamaCaz Sun 15-Mar-20 07:36:16

I too had something that I now realize had the symptoms of mild Covid earlier this year. The symptoms included fluid (felt like water) running down into my lungs, something that I have never before experienced in my life!
I remember coughing in vain to try to relieve/remove it, and wondering what on earth could be causing it.

With hindsight, I was extremely lucky that this didn't turn to pneumonia, but it was before Covid was officially in this country, or at least before anyone who hadn't travelled to China was known to have had it, and as it remained mild, it never crossed my mind at the time that it could be more than just a nasry cold, albeit one with a symptom I've never had before!.

Don't suppose it could have been Covid because of the timing, unless it has been here longer than they think, but if I got the same thing now, I would certainly think I had it!

Curlywhirly Sun 15-Mar-20 07:48:03

Oopsadaisy3 no, he hadn't been anywhere, (he didn't have the water running in his lungs feeling, which MamaCaz has just described) so yes, it was most probably the flu. But MamaCaz does sound like she has had it. There must be others that have been undiagnosed, and as we have not had mass testing, we will never know the true picture.

Missfoodlove Sun 15-Mar-20 09:49:15

Gagago, you are worried about contracting it as your daughter who lives with you had the symptoms.
You then say you’re contemplating travel.
Are you not aware you could then be infecting others?
There is no hope of containment with this attitude.

GagaJo Tue 17-Mar-20 19:20:27

Travelling home Missfoodlove. I work abroad. I’m home now. Don’t think daughter does have it. She looks fine to me.

sassenach512 Tue 17-Mar-20 19:47:48

Just saw your post MamaCaz I'm convinced my DH and I had covid just after New Year.
We had classic symptoms ie high temperature, dry constant, nagging cough but non productive, we both said we'd never had a virus like it and we'd had our flu jabs.
We are in a university city which has lots of Chinese students coming and going, so who's to say the covid virus hadn't been brought over and was here long before the Chinese government admitted to it being out of control? I kind of hope we did have it because it was horrible and I wouldn't want to go through it again

morethan2 Tue 17-Mar-20 20:03:58

Myself and granddaughter aged 7 has what looks like a bit of a head cold. Headache, bit sneezy, slightly sore throat. Her dad kept her home from school. An hour later the school rang him and asked him to come and collect her brother. He has no symptoms of what I’m convinced is a mild cold but now has to spend two weeks away from school. I have the children with me because my DiL is very ill. My son was contemplating taking the children out of school to protect my DiL so it’s probably for the best. I still think it’s a head cold. But hey ho who knows

endlessstrife Tue 17-Mar-20 20:16:10

Sassenach, same here. We’re in a university town. Just after Christmas, my husband sat next to a Chinese girl at work, who’d just come over here. We were then both ill for ages. Not sure we had temperatures, it didn’t feel like it, and we didn’t take them. Of course, at that point, the whole thing was just getting going, and we didn’t make the link. We felt quite rough though. A horrible dry chest, sore throat, and just felt awful, the worst I’ve ever known. I’ve never had the flu, and neither has my husband. After this went on into several weeks, and constantly cancelling things, people were starting to question whether we actually had CV. We’re fine now, and I guess we’ll never know.

endlessstrife Tue 17-Mar-20 20:18:11

Have to add, my husband has never seen the Chinese girl again!

Diggingdoris Tue 17-Mar-20 20:48:43

As I'm asthmatic I would love to know if anyone has recovered who has asthma. Each death reported does not tell us what underlying condition they had.
Every little tickle or cough I have makes me paranoid that I'm next.

PamelaJ1 Tue 17-Mar-20 21:26:11

I started a thread about my sister in law who has it and others on the thread have relatives who are also infected.

gillybob Tue 17-Mar-20 21:55:57

My DS is convinced he has it . But he suffers from acute anxiety and is convinced he has everything .

Joelsnan Tue 17-Mar-20 22:02:22

Its interesting to see that a number of people think they had this virus around Christmas time as there are folk around me who are also convinced they have had it too around Christmas time.
Maybe the virus has been around for months before China officially notified it and why it seems to have quickly gained momentum (or so it appears) this because people have only been tested since this notification and as yet there is no retroactive test to see who has had it and recovered.

GagaJo Tue 17-Mar-20 22:04:31

My daughter DOESN'T have it. I'm at home with them now and she's fine. I haven't noticed her coughing at all.