Gransnet forums

Health

Who’s bought a thermometer?

(68 Posts)
Doodle Tue 17-Mar-20 19:24:38

DH and I are taking our temperature morning and night so we know what our baseline is. I know you can have CV without a fever but we thought it was a good starting point.

Lavazza1st Tue 17-Mar-20 23:57:02

@Namsnanny glad it's not just me!

I am wondering if all the things I ordered online will turn up....

merlotgran Wed 18-Mar-20 00:01:09

DSiL tried a meat thermometer. He stuck it under his tongue and said it worked.

He did say under his tongue - not in it! grin

Lavazza1st Wed 18-Mar-20 00:16:09

grin

May7 Wed 18-Mar-20 00:18:16

I've had a glass one for years and rarely used it. Found it in bottom of first aid box ,well I say box but it's more like a medicine trolley? old hospital habits die hard. Anyway I di gress. I dropped it on the floor this morning and it smashed. Tried to replace it at chemist to no avail. It seems the selfish folk are panic buying these as well?

Decision made - I've always known if I or family have a high temp ,dont need to know how high it is do you? The
signs are all there freezing cold, shivery, hot head cold feet glassy eyes cherry lips.
Silver lining not going to traipse around chemist looking for one just use common sense. Pour another G&T

Hetty58 Wed 18-Mar-20 00:25:25

I just went to fish mine out from the kiddies medicine box and found that it's no longer working. It's an ear one and it doesn't appear to open - never mind. I 'll know if I get a temperature anyway.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 18-Mar-20 01:27:56

I've left another thread about thermometers. Tried to buy one on line and no stock anywhere.

Just found one in the cupboard. I bought for jam making !

Namsnanny Wed 18-Mar-20 02:10:51

B9exchange May7 ...of course your right, but I'd just like to feel as if I can stay in control a little bit!
As if I have an early warning.

annep1 Wed 18-Mar-20 05:09:43

I have one bought recently that you put against your temple and two digital mouth thermometers ( one for the caravan ).
Have always had them. How else can you tell if someone has a high temperature?

craftyone Wed 18-Mar-20 05:28:10

I bought one, cost about £40, not used one at home for a very long time. I have taken my temperature once and it left a record on the thermometer. That will do and I will only use it if necessary. Its quite nice to have the thermometer as backup. Rip off prices btw

BlueBelle Wed 18-Mar-20 06:14:41

You can’t buy one here I checked in Boots and the lady laughed at me she said they had had some £50 Braun ones that had flown off the shelf in one day !!!
So no I don’t have one and will rely as always on my hand on my head method you soon know if you have a temp don’t you ?

BlueBelle Wed 18-Mar-20 06:17:09

annepl how else can you tell if anyone has a high temperature quite easily I would think surely at our advanced age we know what a temperature feels like by now

SirChenjin Wed 18-Mar-20 07:18:07

It’s not always possible to tell when your temperature is starting to rise, which is why regular monitoring at this time is a good idea - and of course children and grandchildren can’t always tell. It’s all about making sure you’re isolating at first symptoms as opposed to waiting until you already know you have a high temperature.

harrigran Wed 18-Mar-20 08:11:39

I have always had an old fashioned mercury thermometer but when I was on chemo I bought a Boots forehead digital one. Even the Boots own brand are £40.
You can usually tell someone has a fever just by looking at them.

BlueSapphire Wed 18-Mar-20 08:16:53

I have a mercury one somewhere, and one of those strip ones that you put on your forehead and it changes colour. I got that when DS was a baby and he is now 41, so whether it still works is anyone's guess!

Marydoll Wed 18-Mar-20 08:25:26

We have had an adult and child digital one for years and also a forehead strip one from when the children were young.

My children, who always mocked my seige mentality, are not laughing now! wink

endlessstrife Wed 18-Mar-20 08:42:18

You don’t always’ feel’ a high temperature. It’s best to check.

Auntieflo Wed 18-Mar-20 08:45:47

I have one of those forehead strip ones.
I don't remember when we got it, and had never used it, but it seems to be OK.

(I also have a jam thermometer and a meat one. So alright for all occasions. grin)

pollyperkins Wed 18-Mar-20 08:52:35

Well I don’t understand people saying there are none on line or that they are expensive. I ordered one from amazon yesterday and there were 3 pages of them , prices ranging from 1 penny (yes!) to over £100. I’ve ordered one for about £5 and waiting for delivery. Digital to put in mouth, under arm or somewhere more unsavoury!
I broke the mercury one a year or two ago and bought those coloured strips you stick on your forehead but they don’t seem to work any more.

May7 Wed 18-Mar-20 23:49:02

pollyperkins will you post when you get your-thermometer delivery because all the ones my DD can see on Amazon are coming from China and from what I remember they have slow boats ?

pollyperkins Thu 19-Mar-20 12:12:12

grin well We’ll see! I may have to leave it for 72 hours before touching !

annep1 Thu 19-Mar-20 17:39:15

*not true Bluebelle. I have had a temperature whilst in the doctors surgery for a checkup after being in hospital and didn't know until he used the ear thermometer. He was surprised too as he thought I seemed ok. My husband has had a temperature without knowing. You can't just rely on how you feel.

Doodle Thu 19-Mar-20 21:18:34

We are using ours every morning just to see. I find it comforting to check.

pollyperkins Fri 20-Mar-20 07:42:07

May7 I think you must be right. Just had an email from amazon to say my thermometer has been dispatched and will be delivered on May2!!!!

Sparklefizz Fri 20-Mar-20 09:44:25

Someone said that if you need to ring 111, they ask you if you've got a temperature and what it is ...... so rather than relying on my feelings, I have ordered one from Amazon, but have been told it won't arrive until 16th April. It apparently has been dispatched though! It's on that "slow boat" which yours May7 and everyone else's!!

May7 Fri 20-Mar-20 10:22:31

sparklefizz I havent ordered a thermometer I dont need one.

I just pointed out that they were coming from China which usually takes forever.
I ordered a lovely lamp in Jan from Amazon and forgot to check where it was coming from. I'm still waiting.

No problem really it's just stuff.

If you feel unwell enough to need to ring 111 then you will know if you have a temperature unless of course you've been lucky enough never to have experienced one.

Ps only 1 thermometer will do for a whole household so looks like the PB are at it again