Gransnet forums

Health

Who’s bought a thermometer?

(68 Posts)
Doodle Tue 17-Mar-20 19:24:38

DH and I are taking our temperature morning and night so we know what our baseline is. I know you can have CV without a fever but we thought it was a good starting point.

Willow500 Fri 20-Mar-20 10:36:14

I bought one from BM Stores a couple of weeks ago in the baby department but I'm not sure how accurate it is - it was only £2.49! I don't even know what a normal temperature should be!

pollyperkins Fri 20-Mar-20 11:58:08

37 degrees Celsius* - if it’s 38 not to worry but if approaching 40 or above ring 111 is my advice
*(That’s the same as98.4 Fahrenheit)

watermeadow Sat 21-Mar-20 20:28:01

I once had a thermometer. The first time I used it, to take the cat’s temperature, I dropped and broke it. That was about 50 years ago.
One of my London granddaughters has the virus and my daughter also had no thermometer. I told her that my mother used to feel our foreheads. Hot= high temperature, Cold=dead.
I don’t think you need a thermometer to tell is someone’s feverish.

jacq10 Sat 21-Mar-20 20:35:00

I had to buy one 3 or 4 yrs ago for same reason as MawB, When I used to have phone 111 I was always asked if DH had temperature. I took it out of the drawer last weekend and checked DGS temp as a test so know it is in working order but hope I don't need to use it on myself.

annodomini Sat 21-Mar-20 21:20:41

I bought a pair years ago in Lidl. I still have one but have no idea what I did with the other.

chenaaa Wed 25-Mar-20 06:47:18

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Grannynannywanny Wed 25-Mar-20 07:12:39

The downside of checking temp every day for reassurance is that the batteries will wear down quickly and it might let you down when you really need it.
Also to poster(sorry forgotten name already) who said hers wasn’t working, it may just need new batteries. That usually happens to mine if unused for a year or so.
Wishing you all continued good health ?

Grannynannywanny Wed 25-Mar-20 07:20:04

Pollyperkins the chief medical officer’s coronavirus advice is to consider 38c a high temp and to consider that as one of the 2 warnings signs, persistent new cough and high temp.

Floradora9 Wed 25-Mar-20 15:28:15

Mie arrived from China to-day , yikes but I disinfected the packet well and have not taken out the thermometer yet. Might put it in Milton .

May7 Thu 26-Mar-20 22:32:10

Well that delivery wasn't too bad was it. I thought it would take much longer on that slow boat.

Floradora9 Fri 27-Mar-20 09:24:25

My long awaited thermometer arrived yesterday from China . To be safe I left it in a solution of Milton and water . This morning it is rusting and unusable . I have ordered a new one which will arrive on the !st. of May . Just another little annoyance .

Sparklefizz Fri 27-Mar-20 09:39:16

Am waiting for mine to arrive (from China). Bad news about the rusting, Flora .... I was going to do that with mine.

May7 Fri 27-Mar-20 23:21:41

In the meantime to quote another posters Granny (sorry cant remember who's)
Forehead Hot =Fever
Forehead Cold =Dead

Coolgran65 Sat 28-Mar-20 04:04:01

I a!ready have two digital thermometers bought in Boots several years ago. They were for when I was babysitting. They are now at the ready.

pollyperkins Sat 28-Mar-20 09:23:52

Can’t see the point of putting them in Milton - the virus only lives a few hours (days at the most) out of the body. Just don’t touch it for a week and you’ll be fine.
Still waiting for mine!

May7 Sat 28-Mar-20 09:51:58

pollyperkins
I knew it!! grin

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 28-Mar-20 11:00:22

From NHS inform website:

Your normal body temperature is approximately 37C. A fever is usually when your body temperature is 37.8C or higher. You may feel warm, cold or shivery.

I still can't find one online. Jam thermometer at the ready.