Gransnet forums

Health

I am very cross - a corona virus story.

(88 Posts)
schnackie Fri 20-Mar-20 14:53:25

I have lived in the southeast of England quite happily for over 20 years. This year (several months ago) a cousin my age (67) whom I had not seen for 40 years, decided to leave America. Her plan was to spend a couple of weeks with me in the UK, and then go on to Athens where she has an American friend living. Fast forward, and after a week with me, she had a flight booked on Easyjet to Athens for yesterday. I tried to explain that the flight would probably not go, there was a travel ban in Europe, etc, etc, but arrogant woman was determined. She got to Gatwick and they did not want to let her on the plane, but again she insisted, saying she had someone to stay with etc. so they let her on.
She is now in JAIL in Athens, waiting to be deported, possibly back to me, or to the USA (please God). They took her to a detention place when the plane arrived and she has had enough phone contact to let us know what is happening, but then lost the connection. She says the (armed) guards don't speak English, and one woman in the cell had been there 11 days.
I have been in touch with her friend in Athens, but I am so annoyed. There is really nothing I can do but worry. Apparently the US Embassy in Athens is closed due to the virus.
I am not really looking for advice, but really needed to RANT. Thanks for your attention.

Tillybelle Sat 21-Mar-20 17:19:35

schnackie. A good, well-deserved rant!

What utter idiots people are! I'm in high risk group and have been isolated simply because of my disabilities for years. A very kind neighbour took to bringing nice bits of food to me occasionally. I was touched. I saw her at the beginning of self-isolation and told her I have to isolate now. She was agreeable and understanding. And continues to ring the bell and hand over food. She is in contact with many people through her job and her family. It's driving me mad.

That was my rant.

Oh how I feel for you schnackie, your story is really terrible! I have never been able to explain things to ignorant strong minded people, and I really feel for you regarding this woman! Please make it clear that she cannot return to you and must return to her home country.

Tillybelle Sat 21-Mar-20 17:33:55

schnackie

Has she arrived?

If she is at the airport tell her to go straight home. She must return to the States. Can you send this message before she attempts to turn up at your home? Can you involve the authorities concerning her - the US embassy, Gatwick to return her to the States?

Please let us know. I'm so sorry you are lumbered with such a dreadful situation at a time when life is so hard already.

The idea to show her this thread seems a good one to me. Please put yourself and Daughter first. Tell her you cannot have her she must go home.

Please let us know. Bless you. Good luck xxx

Tillybelle Sat 21-Mar-20 17:43:21

schnackie
you say:

I have let her in ???????????

It's not about whether you have the virus or any underlying conditions.

It's about what she has picked up on her recent adventure

You DO NOT have to let her in!

Think of others, not just yourself. She needs to go into quarantine anyway and that is not possible journeying to be at your house.

I'm feeling tired... Please do not have her to stay. People are asked to go back to their home countries. She must go back to the States.

ALANaV Sat 21-Mar-20 17:57:57

I would do exactly at TXquilz suggested == her problem is with the USA so the US Embassy would be the first port of call....she may well try to make you feel guilty but it was HER decision to fly to Athens and no one else is responsible for her. The US Embassy must have this problem with other US nationals ….have you tried phoning their emergency line for help for US citizens ? (may be open even on a weekend ? I hope she is not expecting you to meet her at the airport ...this reminds me somewhat of the TV sitcom last week Last Tango in Halifax...although I wouldn't want the outcome for her to be the same ! This is very hard on you and unfair ...I do hope you can sort this out ! flowers

Bbarb Sat 21-Mar-20 19:07:21

I have read and re-read these comments ............ do I understand correctly and you have already welcomed her back into your home?

When not one of us suggested you do this you still went ahead and did it?

Am I right? Really?

Teddy5005 Sat 21-Mar-20 19:51:24

What happened to protected times in supermarkets for shift workers and the vulnerable???? I completed a 12 hour night shift with a really bad back this morning. Drove to Tesco’s . Walked up the long isle , nothing !!!! So now out of bread as did not stock pile . So a big thank you to everyone who have left me and my diabetic partner without the basics of live !!

Esspee Sun 22-Mar-20 10:16:22

Teddy5005 You need to start your own thread. We are all involved with the OP and the crazy situation she has allowed herself to get into.

GagaJo Sun 22-Mar-20 12:00:55

schnackie has the right to make her own choice regardless of what we've all said. She's not under contract to follow our instructions!

Hithere Sun 22-Mar-20 13:42:03

Gagajo

True

She however should brace for the consequences for her actions and the perceived lack of support if she comes back with getting sick or her cousin creating more problems

suziewoozie Sun 22-Mar-20 14:56:33

Gaga no the OP doesn’t have the RIGHT to make her own choices in this matter any more than I have the RIGHT to drive my car whilst drunk. She has the CHOICE and she has made the wrong one. The sad thing is that, just like the drunk driver, these CHOICES may adversely impact people who had no say in the making of them

If cowardly BJ would just lock us down NOW then choices could be taken away from those incapable of making them correctly.

pinkquartz Sun 22-Mar-20 15:46:11

Yes to Suziewoozie

why hasn't our esteemed (not) PM shut our borders and closed the whole issue off?

OP made her choice but it was not a good one....is the visitor even staying in? or going out and if infected continuing to spread the infection?

ExD Mon 23-Mar-20 10:52:22

Don't be too hard on schnackie - I think we've put her off posting with our harsh judgements. I'm sure she agrees with us and is regretting her generosity, but all she can do now is to wait our the next two weeks of self isolation - please God the two ladies ARE self isolating - and hope neither of them catches the virus.
Please be kind to a lady who has put her own health on the line on order to help a relative.