Gransnet forums

Health

Whyis everyne so obsessed with buying _antibacterial_ wipes and hand sanitisers?

(34 Posts)
M0nica Fri 20-Mar-20 21:36:20

Covid-19 is a virus not a bacterial infection, so antibacterial wipes etc have no advantage at all.

What is needed is thorough and careful handwashing and surface wiping, and for that any good soap or cleaning product is as good as any other.

Jane10 Sat 21-Mar-20 11:18:04

My DGSs love our bar soaps. A big novelty for them after only knowing (expensive) liquid soap. They call it 'rubby soap' and are amazed as it lathers up. Simple things please...

curvygran Sat 21-Mar-20 11:53:13

Jane10, do you remember making the soap lather up and blowing bubbles ? A good way of getting youngsters to use it!

Septimia Sat 21-Mar-20 12:51:35

curvygran I'd forgotten that! Must give it a go....

Willow500 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:03:28

I got so fed up of the hand towel in the downstairs toilet being constantly wet (even though it's changed daily) with us both being at home 24/7 I gathered together all the face flannels I had and bought some extra £0.50p ones - put them in a basket and instructed my husband we have to use these instead of the towel. They go in a bin and I wash them on a hot wash with the rest of the towels every day. If it's good enough for the high end hotels it's ok for us! Result! No wet towel and no drips all over the floor tiles underneath it which was another bugbear smile

curvygran Sat 21-Mar-20 15:24:47

Good idea Willow. Cutting up an old towel into squares with pinking shears would do the job too .

Alexa Sun 22-Mar-20 09:52:09

Yes, a very good idea! BTW do pinking shears really stop fraying?

curvygran Sun 22-Mar-20 10:04:15

Alexa, they should do, but haven’t actually tried them on towelling yet ✂️

Hetty58 Sun 22-Mar-20 10:14:59

I like the dainty little guest towels that can be changed and washed frequently. Everyone thinks I'm an old fashioned fusspot but I hate using a damp towel.