Gransnet forums

Health

Well done Morrisons!

(89 Posts)
Esspee Sun 22-Mar-20 05:31:32

I have received an email from Morrisons today. They are going to open from 07:00-08:00 for NHS workers only, and the doors will be manned.
Let us hope the other food stores do the same (but different hours).

missdeke Sun 22-Mar-20 12:21:12

My daughter in Spain phoned this morning and said, things have calmed down in Alicante and the shops have introduced rationing. Her partner went shopping today and there was everything they wanted on the shelves, including fresh fruit and veg, meat, eggs and toilet paper, last wwek they shelves were empty. Maybe with a bit of luck and common sense we will be heading that way soon.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 22-Mar-20 12:21:21

Morrisons days ago posted on their FACEBOOK page their dedicated hours.

Jillybird Sun 22-Mar-20 12:23:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

patricia1958 Sun 22-Mar-20 12:24:44

I got an email from sainsbury's to say I'm 1 of their venerable customers and they are setting home delivery and click and collect for people like me it starts on Monday

Purplepixie Sun 22-Mar-20 12:27:17

I over heard one of our neighbours telling people that his shopping was for his elderly mother when in fact it was for himself. These people make me sick. Our cupboards have an adequate amount in them before the virus and I refuse to panic buy. Also I feel sorry for those elderly and NHS workers would are up against this and hope that the supermarkets do help them. There will be people who will spoil the system though.

notgoneyet Sun 22-Mar-20 12:30:27

The last time I went out it was to do a last shop before I completely stayed in, on Thursday when Sainsbury's opened for the 7am-8am slot for the elderly. Queue was very long by the time it opened. Staff at the door letting ONLY elderly in. Great idea, and made for much less stressful shopping. However, all this was slightly marred by the fact that there was hardly anything on the shelves - no meat, no potatoes, no flour, no honey, no rice, no pasta. This is because that particular store don't have any overnight deliveries so nothing had been restocked. And Tesco are opening Monday Wednesday and Friday for the over 70s - but from 9am when the store opens at 6.30. So how much will be left there by 9am?

Lizbethann55 Sun 22-Mar-20 12:31:37

My daughter is an NHS worker. Has just been to Tesco as they were opening an hour early. The queues outside were horrific. Anyone without NHS ides wasn't allowed in, but it was still rammed and the shelves were empty anyway. It has taken her over two hours to get very little. The powers that be say there is plenty of food in the warehouses so why weren't the shelves stocked up overnight? By the time she left there were no queues waiting to get in. Mind you, I have found the local , small, usually "just in an emergency" shops are well stocked with most basics (including loo paper). Are we becoming too obsessed with the big supermarkets?

polnan Sun 22-Mar-20 12:33:55

Morrisons yuck, I emailed them had nothing back, well an acknowledgement

Sainsburys have turned up trumps for me,, I can at least get an online delivery,, but our local Morrisons is just up the road from me, I can get there, but can`t get to Sainsburys,, so I will be a Sainsburys shopper from now on,, well assuming they will "deliver" the online delivery they have promised

so what about the mental health,, this isolation is causing?

B9exchange Sun 22-Mar-20 12:35:16

Whilst delighted that Sainsburys etc are having a separate opening time for NHS staff, they need to bear in mind that not all care workers are NHS staff. Think about the hospice nurses, and the home carers, who are very much at the front line and at risk.

And have a separate priority online ordering system for them to click and collect on their way home.

Dancinggran Sun 22-Mar-20 12:38:50

gardeningpower the NHS Trust I work for are providing free staff meals from this week, it was announced in a letter from the CEO.

Bridie22 Sun 22-Mar-20 12:47:07

Whilst I applaud morrisons for helping the nhs staff get their supplies, this morning morrisons leaflets where being hand delivered to every household containing money off coupons to spend in their stores over the next couple of weeks.
Surely they have more than made a profit lately and wrong to encourage people to visit the store to spend the coupons that stretch over the next 4 weeks..... or is it just me ??!!

grannybuy Sun 22-Mar-20 12:48:24

As I said on a different thread, I visited my nearest Tesco at 9.20 on Friday. I found the store very busy, with the usual mix of people, many young and with children. I had thought that there might have been some sort of monitoring at the door, but no. I have since spoken to someone at Tesco, who said that it's difficult as some of the younger customers might be suffering from underlying conditions, and how can they prove otherwise. Not a well thought through initiative, just giving me more or less the same shopping experience that I usually have.

Foxyferret Sun 22-Mar-20 12:57:50

My friend went to Tesco in Southampton in their 9-10 slot for pensioners but because they opened at 6 there was nothing left. Also the place was full of younger people even though they kept announcing over the tannoy that hour was for senior citizens.

suziewoozie Sun 22-Mar-20 13:04:30

If you ask me, these dedicated slots are just PR. I despise what the supermarkets are doing - it’s just legalised profiteering

SillyNanny321 Sun 22-Mar-20 13:04:58

After 55mins wait talked to lady at Sainsburys who said if we had used their Vulnerable page, filled in date of birth, we would be on their priority list. Not heard of this before of been asked for these details on my account. Shopped online with them for years with age & disability on delivery instructions. Still not on list! No way can i get shopping with my disability & age. So where do I go from here???

123kitty Sun 22-Mar-20 13:13:34

Agree with criticism of large supermarkets, they must have been rubbing their hands with glee seeing their sales shoot through the roof, its too little too late. I'm in the over 70s 9-10 shopping slot, shelves are already empty by 9 - come on supermarkets get sorted.

Azalea99 Sun 22-Mar-20 13:48:47

Hope this helps

Madbird37 Sun 22-Mar-20 13:55:24

Iceland in Belfast started opening early for the over 70's more than 2 weeks ago and it's great that other shops have followed suit. As a health care worker I am grateful for the chance to shop early in the morning, M&S have dedicated days for over 70 and front line workers. My son is a serving police officer who was unable to get an food after a 12 hr shift during which they too had no break. Hopefully everyone who feels the need to stockpile will now have more consideration, but I doubt it

Dustyhen2010 Sun 22-Mar-20 13:55:32

I am in my 60's as is DH we both have asthma (get flu injection) and both needed steroids before Xmas for respiratory infection so are in one of the at risk groups. As is my pregnant DD. When do we shop? ?We are isolating as much as possible as advised.

Craftycat Sun 22-Mar-20 14:12:27

In Waitrose this morning they had a member of staff standing by the loo rolls making sure no-one took more than one pack.
Why the mad rush for loo rolls? The manufacturers have plenty

What a waste when the (obviously bored) girl could have been manning a till or stocking shelves.

suziewoozie Sun 22-Mar-20 14:13:06

1. I am in a vulnerable group
2, I am social distancing
3. I need to keep 2 m apart

Which of these wonderful supermarkets are offering that? What am I missing?

Bellocchild Sun 22-Mar-20 14:39:58

Sainsbury's are reserving slots for pensioners from 8-9 on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. NHS and emergency workers are to be admitted before the stores open at 7.30. Their new regular opening hours are 8-8, to allow more time for shelf replenishment.

WoodLane7 Sun 22-Mar-20 15:05:09

There were literally at least a couple of thousand at Walsall Tesco NHS this morning, same Dudley - Dudley photo not mine, one I was sent, hoping things calm a bit in the next week or two, I have NHS card and will shop for others as I am reasonably stocked

NanaHev Sun 22-Mar-20 15:07:10

My most recent email from Sainsburys says that I will get a slot next week as I am 75 and housebound and I have a delivery pass that proves I am a regular customer. I have put my shopping list online and I have requested no more than 2 of any items. Apparently we can start booking slots tomorrow but how far ahead will the slot be?

Edithb Sun 22-Mar-20 15:26:04

Our Tesco had an hour for elderly 9-10 Friday but not much left as they had already been open for three hours. In addition there were many under 70s anyway and no checks being made.