Gransnet forums

Health

Well done Morrisons!

(89 Posts)
Esspee Sun 22-Mar-20 05:31:32

I have received an email from Morrisons today. They are going to open from 07:00-08:00 for NHS workers only, and the doors will be manned.
Let us hope the other food stores do the same (but different hours).

GabriellaG54 Mon 23-Mar-20 01:40:20

Try going to Robert Dyas. They stock pks of 2 rolls kitchen towels (thick) for £2, large single rolls £? cleaning sprays and packs if wipes of all kinds, both in store or online. Delivery free with total £50 spend on any items and no, I didn't buy any, I was buying a whisk and they were piled up by the tills.

Pixxie7 Mon 23-Mar-20 04:52:45

I was wondering how many non nhs workers abused this, my daughter is a nurse and went early this am. No checks were made and she queued for a hour to get in and then a further 90 mins queuing to pay.

Esspee Mon 23-Mar-20 07:01:22

@Azalea99 thanks

Perfect. Thank you so much for that. I shall print it off and distribute it to my elderly friends.

Stay well everyone.

Annaram1 Mon 23-Mar-20 10:19:00

Bread and cheese and milk can be frozen.

GreenGran78 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:08:07

My nhs worker daughter managed to get to Tesco for their special shopping slot. She got the few things that she urgently needed, and some milk and potatoes for me. Tesco gave her a free bunch of flowers! flowers

rosenoir Mon 23-Mar-20 12:51:05

Why are people critical of supermarkets? they do not want people bulk buying,they do not have to staff to cope and as for profiteering,the profit is the same on toilet rolls if people buy them all at once or spread over a period of time.

The staff can not control the idiots that insist on going at times set aside for the vulnerable or NHS workers, they have to put up with enough abuse trying to stop bulk buying.

I do not understand an earlier comment about someone buying lottery tickets, if he was in the shop anyway what does it matter what he buys.

suziewoozie Mon 23-Mar-20 12:57:52

rose csn you explain to me why the following is not behaviour to be criticised?

1. Supermarkets fail to start planning weeks ago
2. Supermarkets failed for ages to prevent bulk buying and then different ones brought in different limits
4. Supermarkets brought in protected hours without introducing social distancing therefore putting vulnerable people at risk
5. Supermarkets failed to address online delivery system in a timely fashion

The supermarkets are making huge profits but not using them to employ sufficient people and systems to make shopping safer and fairer in any meaningful sense.

suziewoozie Mon 23-Mar-20 12:59:11

And if they employed more security staff, they could protect their staff - several on the doors, floor and tills.

rosenoir Mon 23-Mar-20 13:24:07

suzie nobody could predict that there were going to be so many selfish idiots that would panic buy and ignore social distancing.

There are only so many delivery vehicles and they have been advertising for more staff to cover sickness and increased security.

We have a blame culture where nobody takes responsibility for looking after them selves and following expert advice.

suziewoozie Mon 23-Mar-20 13:27:38

It was easy to predict and certainly draw up contingency plans. The selfishness and stupidity of a sizeable minority of the British public is a well known fact. And you are refusing to address the shops offering of protected hours without social distancing.

suziewoozie Mon 23-Mar-20 13:28:25

They are advertising for more staff because business is booming

suziewoozie Mon 23-Mar-20 13:32:56

So rosehow about these three scenarios

1. Why did we have heavily enforced black out regulations during the war and why didn’t we just trust people to take responsibility and follow advice?
2. Why do we have laws against drinking and driving which are enforced and sanctioned? Why not do what we used to do and just trust people to take responsibility and expert advice
3. Ditto for seat belts

rosenoir Mon 23-Mar-20 13:52:12

Laws have to be made when it is apparent that people can not act sensibly. Laws are not made" just in case " as in the seat belt law.Seat belts were provided adverts showed what would happen if they were not used but it became law when people would not take responsibility to do the right thing.

Supermarket profits are booming but it will only be for a few weeks,as I said before the sale of 100 toilet rolls in an hour is the same profit as if they were sold in a week.Few toilet rolls will be sold for a long time when this is over.