Gransnet forums

Health

How long is danagerous - I failed to put a raw chicken in the fridge?

(104 Posts)
Jess20 Wed 25-Mar-20 16:13:07

I may have to change my name after this - I got a food delivery 3 days ago and thought I'd taken out the perishables and washed them etc but managed to miss a chicken and thought it had been left off the delivery. Finally clearing the box I found it. Room temp, 3 days, a tad whiffy but no not crawling, I washed it to be sure (bleached sink afterwards, rubber disposable gloves etc).

I am cooking it right now, and will do so very thoroughly. My family were farmers, my grandparents were farming way before anyone had a fridge and they would have cooked and eaten it.

I'm less worried about who would still eat it than how safe it is to eat.

We may all be making choices like this over the next few months, hopfully won't get food poisoning. Any microbiologists, food experts out there?

SueDonim Wed 25-Mar-20 19:30:42

shock. No, I wouldn’t consider eating it, not even one moment.

sodapop Wed 25-Mar-20 19:36:48

I agree with everyone else. Now is not the time to be taking chances with food. Don't feed it to your pets either.

Farmor15 Wed 25-Mar-20 19:56:23

Hi Jess- I’m a microbiologist but only just saw your post. It’s obviously not the best idea to eat chicken that had been out so long. However, you did the right thing bleaching sink, but in similar circumstances I’ve put lemon juice on it and left for a while. I would have taken off bone and made into a curry or similar as then I would be sure that all parts were fully cooked.

Slight whiffy smell is due to spoilage organisms, not food poisoning ones. The ones that make you ill are actually ones like Salmonella, Campylobacter and E. coli, all of which are killed by temperatures of 60 deg for 5 minutes.

In current circumstances, people will need to be a bit more careful about food waste. Obviously meat should be put in fridge straight away, and check dates. But things one day over their use by date will still be fine and “best before” dates can be almost ignored as they are mostly tins, jars and packets of dry stuff.

Callistemon Wed 25-Mar-20 20:10:42

Normally I would be relaxed about it and if it was winter and chilly then I would say yes, but cook it thoroughly.

However, it has been very warm lately and 3 days at that
temperature and with the hospitals in crisis I would not take the chance.

CherryCezzy Wed 25-Mar-20 20:11:06

"a tad whiffy" = Bin it!

Jess20 Wed 25-Mar-20 21:59:56

Farmor15, thank you for that, very reassuring. I really did want to know if it was safe to eat. Its been very well cooked. People eat 'game', when I was younger it used to be hung until it was totally foul, and cooking rendered it edible. I think there may be circumstances where we can't be fussy and we need to know how to remain safe. Thanks!

Missfoodlove Wed 25-Mar-20 22:06:25

Jesus, rancid meat!!
Crazy, even handling the raw meat is dangerous.

Pikachu Wed 25-Mar-20 22:27:12

Whiffy? No way should you eat it.

Luckygirl Wed 25-Mar-20 22:28:54

Heavens above - do not eat this!

EllanVannin Wed 25-Mar-20 22:46:09

Why not wait until it runs out itself----jeeze !

Txquiltz Wed 25-Mar-20 22:53:32

The very last thing the NHS needs to deal with is a patient that ignored common sense and ate manky chicken. If not for your own well being, but with them in mind throw it out.

Maggiemaybe Wed 25-Mar-20 22:55:46

I would have instinctively agreed with the majority and advised binning it till I saw Farmor’s post. It’s interesting that the food poisoning organisms are killed by heat. Great to have advice from an expert!

Maggiemaybe Wed 25-Mar-20 22:57:20

Though I’d probably still be too much of a chicken (grin) to eat it myself.

vegansrock Thu 26-Mar-20 08:09:51

The crows would eat it.

CleoPanda Thu 26-Mar-20 09:31:49

Even after reading the advice from the expert, I just couldn’t have contemplated cooking or eating something “”whiffy”. Even reading this made me queasy!! Enough to make me want to give up eating meat totally. I’d rather eat stale bread than eat “off” meat. Can you imagine ending up with gastric problems and having to burden the NHS any more?
NB - I thought the advice for years now has been to never ever wash chicken????

Shirls52000 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:32:01

Soz but I would chuck it...... salmonella rules and there really isn’t enough toilet roll to deal with that !?

NannyG123 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:35:01

Jess20 don't risk it 2 years we had food poisoning, due to eating a chicken that had defrosted in the hot weather. We was ill for almost a fortnight. We even had to do a questionnaire sent to us from our council,as the doctor had to report it. DON'T Chance it.

polnan Thu 26-Mar-20 09:36:44

I have been in hospital for 10 days, with that campo thingy or whatever.
no I would not eat it, and I hate waste..

please let us know how everyone gets on , who eats it..

praying for you all.

Happygirl79 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:37:41

Unless you want to be ill please throw it away
Not safe

GrannyLaine Thu 26-Mar-20 09:38:54

C'mon Jess20 what did you do?

endlessstrife Thu 26-Mar-20 09:39:21

Yes, what did you decide, and what happened to the chicken??. I’m still interested to know what it smelt like cooking.

Theoddbird Thu 26-Mar-20 09:50:29

The NHS does not need to be treating food poisoning. Bin it

minxie Thu 26-Mar-20 09:54:54

You should never ever wash chicken. Bin it

Annaram1 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:58:25

Not sure if I am right, but I have heard that a dog's gastric juices are much stronger than ours and that is why they can bury something and dig it up a few days later and eat it without ill effects. Cut a bit of chicken off and give it to the dog, and see how he is in a few hours. Meanwhile, cut all the meat from the chicken, wrap it well in foil and put it in the freezer. If dog remains well, give him a bit daily until it is finished.
Just don't give it to any humans.

aggie Thu 26-Mar-20 09:59:31

Cooking can kill the bacteria , but the bacteria can produce toxins ie poisons which are very ill making and are not affected by heat