Gransnet forums

Health

Hay Fever - is April too early?

(35 Posts)
SueDonim Thu 02-Apr-20 00:06:20

I’m a relative newcomer to hay fever, only developing it in my 60’s. confused It usually takes the form of itchy eyes with yellow gunge coming out of them. Nice.

I had my first experience of it when the fields were full of oil seed rape one year. There’s no rape seed out yet in this area so I wondered what else might be causing it. Is April too early to develop symptoms and what is likely to be triggering it?

I took a loritadine antihistamine tablet this morning which helped a bit but I can’t say I fancy months of gunky eyes. sad

annodomini Thu 02-Apr-20 12:32:37

I've tested positive for birch pollen. I must have been allergic 60 years ago when I noticed that I was snuffly when I took my parents' dog out for a night walk in the park, but nobody told me about tree pollens then. There's an immense birch tree the other side of the brook at the end of my garden and when the wind comes from the west, there's no escaping the pollen.

SueDonim Thu 02-Apr-20 12:57:55

These posts have been very illuminating on the subject so thank you everyone! I feel as though I’ve learnt a lot. I’m going to check out all the different remedies you’ve recommended and try them out.

Coincidentally, I had a virtual book group meeting this morning and my friend is suffering from exactly the same thing, which also began yesterday.

QuaintIrene Thu 02-Apr-20 13:00:03

Itchy eyes. Runny nose. Scratchy throat and headache. Every ruddy April ☹️

Elrel Sat 04-Apr-20 09:34:49

DGD 20 tells me she has hay fever already.

Davidhs Sat 04-Apr-20 10:03:42

Not much rapeseed this year, insect attack cleared many fields, mostly tree pollen at present, my sympathy to those who suffer.
If nothing else works, try a homeopathic remedy, one daughter uses “Mixed Pollen” it works for her, no explanation why or how, it just does.

EllanVannin Sat 04-Apr-20 10:15:51

Another late onset of hay fever.
Never in my life have I ever been bothered, but there's a rowan tree not far from my front door and each year mid to end of March onwards when leaves and buds show, the nose runs like a tap and my eyes get a bit crispy round the edges.

Can't do anything about it medication wise as it'll interfere with the warfarin so I just have to have a fistful of tissues when/if I'm out or I'll have dewdrops on the end of my nose all the time. I'm glad I don't have bladder problems as well !

SueDonim Sat 04-Apr-20 17:12:29

I went to the chemist to buy antihistamine eye drops yesterday. When I got home I found they’d only given me ‘soothing’ eye drops, with witch hazel in them, but they seem to have done the job of soothing, so I hope I’ll be more comfortable now.

No-pollen flowers for other sufferers.

Babs758 Tue 07-Apr-20 11:23:34

Definitely - Have been suffering for the past 3 weeks.. Took Claritin during the day and benadryl at night which also helps me sleep as I tend to worry a bit.. Both help! By summer I am usually fine… I sleep with the windows open which may not help..

gulligranny Tue 07-Apr-20 11:28:40

I suffered terribly from hay fever in my teens and twenties, it wasn't taken seriously back in the 1960s and 1970s. Now I only get it at this time of the year, not too badly, and I take Loritidine tablets (once a day) which seem to keep it under control. It's tree pollen that does it for me, and we have a lovely birch tree and hazel tree in the garden just laden with dear little catkins (or Captains, as DH misheard me say yesterday).