Gransnet forums

Health

Cycling, do any of you own a pedal bike, do you use it often(obviously not at the mo)

(105 Posts)
bikergran Tue 07-Apr-20 09:20:29

Gave up my Motorcycle a few years ago and bought a car(so I could help dd with grandsons etc)

I then bought second hand mountain bike which was ok,.
But have not progressed to a ladies Treck tourer bike.

Has anyone else got a pedal bike?
Do you go on any adventures smile

My friend and I took our bikes on the train to Lytham St Annes last year and cycled way up the prom for miles, it was lovely cycling along with the sea on one side. We took a packed lunch e.tc

Looking forward to getting back out on it.Im not a racing cyclist lol just purely for pleasure.

bikergran Tue 07-Apr-20 19:13:43

Scentia maybe you can tell us all about your adventure if you manage to pursue it.

I always wanted to do "The Great Orme" on my motorcycle, but unfortunately never made it before I sold my motorcycle.

Deff don't think I could manage on the pedal bike lol nooooooo..............confused

craftyone Tue 07-Apr-20 19:36:23

I cycle almost every day. I have a 10 year old kettler city cruiser, I love it, it has a nice low step through. It was fantastic when I had an allotment, a great work horse with panniers and a front bag. It is still in good order, I changed the tyres and inner tubes last year and have had to tweak my brakes this week. I don`t take it anywhere in my car, too heavy to lift on my own

I also have a kalkhoff electric bike from new, it was the rolls royce of electric bikes at the time, again has a low step through. In beautiful condition with a range of 40 miles on one charge. Me and my husband used to do a 40 mile ride together, he was a racing cyclist in years gone by, he used to ride a birdy bike while I rode the elctric bike. Was such fun, taking a picnic. We had many £000s worth of bikes at one time. I never even had to pump my tyres up but I have slowly learnt to maintain my bikes myself

If I could find a lightweight low threshold bike with large wheels in the future, I may well end up with bike number 3, so I could travel and ride

CanadianGran Tue 07-Apr-20 23:13:35

I don;t have a bike currently, but am seriously thinking of an electric assist bike. We have a lot of hills in our town, and i was never very good at selecting the right gear!

bikergran Wed 08-Apr-20 07:59:09

My friend bought me a lovely red cyclebag with drop down panniers(ready for my packed lunch) lol not fixed it on yet.

Bought the bike second hand £125 its lovely and comfy to ride.

BlueBelle Wed 08-Apr-20 08:07:13

My Dad cycled all his life I bought him a new cycle for his 80th birthday When he got to 83 he said I don’t feel so safe cycling now so I m going to stop (such a sensible stable man bless him) he gave the cycle to his next door neighbour and lived nearly ten years more

mumofmadboys Wed 08-Apr-20 08:28:18

I also cycle. Usually with U3A group. We do between 15 to 30 miles at a leisurely pace and stopping for coffee. I love it.

grannysyb Wed 08-Apr-20 08:52:44

I never learnt to ride a bike! Borrowed one from a friend years ago and DH tried to teach me, I was hopeless. I now have an adult tricycle, which I don't use often enough. It's very good but I find any hilly bits too much. If I ever come into money I will buy an electric tricycle.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 08-Apr-20 18:49:22

I am not sure where this 1 hours exercise came, I have never heard it or seen it written anywhere. In fact the leaflet that came today made no mention of just an hour. I am going out for a 2 to 3 hours ride. Takes me this long because I am so slow.
mum..... I have been out with a U3 group, they were all men and it seem like a day out with the boys and a trip to the pub. Still I did enjoy it and they were all very kind to me. ..

mumofmadboys Fri 10-Apr-20 11:36:19

I have walked around Derwentwater this morning. It took me 3 hours. I saw very few people. Left at 7.30 am

Willow500 Fri 10-Apr-20 12:05:52

We have bikes but they haven't been out for years - I'm just too scared on the road as I have no sense of balance and now husband has had a hernia op so couldn't ride his anyway. I loved the bike I had years ago with big wheels and just 3 gears - I'm sure I found it easier to ride than the current smaller wheeled one with umpteen gears!!

bikergran Fri 10-Apr-20 17:35:27

Oh I love big wheeled bikes, used to have one with small wheels (it never did ! seem to go as fast) lol..3 gears sturmy archer.

craftyone Sun 12-Apr-20 08:33:39

The only time I was in a dangerous situation was coming down a steep hill on a small wheeled birdy bike, my front wheel hit a bump and I had a terrible wobble. I don`t like small wheeled bikes

I am topping up battery charge this morning and will be going for a longer ride down lanes and past orchards today, am fed up of being cooped up and don`t get much joy from doing the small routes on my normal bike. Electric is necessary for me as there are many hills

bikergran Sun 12-Apr-20 08:46:29

Hope you have a lovely bike ride craftyone you could even take some picys along the route : )

vampirequeen Sun 12-Apr-20 09:58:15

We used to live and cycle in a flat area but now we've moved to a hilly area. Today we did a longer route which has a massive hill (well a big hill) back up to the village. Damn near killed me. In fact I had to get off and walk part of the way (as well as being steep it's a long drag hill) but I got back on before the top so didn't feel too bad. I've mastered the hills that used to stump me so this one will be my new challenge.

bikergran Sun 12-Apr-20 16:24:21

you go go go vampirequeen yes make it your challenge,
I never seem to be able to get in the right gear early enough confused

vampirequeen Mon 13-Apr-20 11:01:15

DH used to be behind me shouting, "Change down on left side. Change down on right side" but I still got it wrong so now he just shouts, "Left finger, right thumb" and I still get it wrong grin. We alternate between cycling and walking to give my poor old knees a chance to recover from bad gear changes grin

bikergran Mon 13-Apr-20 15:46:34

smile

craftyone Sun 10-May-20 17:28:43

I presently have 2 bikes, one is a beautiful kalkhoff electric bike that we bought so we could do 40 mile rides me on that and my husband on a normal bike, not his road bike. I have a kettler city bike, bought a long time ago, so comfy to ride and a great workhorse for the allotment (then) and shops and for keeping me fit and strong. I replaced both tyres and tubes, altered the brakes and keep the chain clean. I would say that it is like a dutch bike and has the weight to match ie 26kg and that is heavy

So I am not using the electric bike, except now and then to keep it working. I have been using the kettler, going further and further and am getting fitter but still had to push it up one steep hill the other day. Then had the brainwave and am going to be buying myself a present and have found and will be buying next week. A step through road bike which only weighs 9kg and why not. So light and with 700 wheels, I can even lift that weight into my car smile. The future is brighter

vampirequeen Sun 10-May-20 19:46:41

I'm really getting into cycling now. I still don't like hills (does anyone) but I'm getting better at them. I'm also getting better cycling off road. I don't scream nearly as often as I used to grin

SirChenjin Sun 10-May-20 21:00:23

I own a bike but don’t use it - there’s far too much traffic to ride it on the road. We lost a much adored family member when he was 17 as a result of being knocked off his pushbike - the driver was 100% at fault and was charged, so I’m extremely cautious and nervous of riding on roads.

vampirequeen Sun 10-May-20 21:18:55

Google Sustrans. They tell you where you can cycle off road on old railway routes.

Blinko Sun 10-May-20 21:23:56

I, too, never learned to ride a bike. An electric tricycle would be ideal. I'll look into it. Or maybe on of those electric scooters. I read somewhere that they're thinking of making them legal.

oscaro11 Sun 10-May-20 21:27:11

Please take extra care of your bikes. My daughter and partner bought two lovely bikes to use at weekends while they’re saving up to buy their first home. Guess what! They were stolen last week despite being locked together and to a metal drain pipe in an underground car park accessible by keypad. No chance of seeing them again sadly. So, take care and keep your bikes safe.

SirChenjin Sun 10-May-20 21:30:28

Had a look at Sustrans - 3 routes in the whole of Scotland that are all traffic free and between 1-10 miles and none between 11-30 miles. None anywhere within easy cycling distance of Edinburgh. Am I doing something wrong on that site? confused

craftyone Mon 11-May-20 12:34:49

That is sad and very sickening oscaroll, low life who grab something for nothing at cost to someone else. They really are the pits and I do hope there is karma and get what they deserve

ds once had his saddle stolen while chsined up on a high street. Dd had her bike stolen while she was at work. Mine are insured but tbh I never let them out of my sight when away from home

I have ordered my new bike, am very chuffed, will have to wait a month while it is built