Gransnet forums

Health

Any worries living with a cat in lockdown as pet cats can come and go as they please.

(59 Posts)
BisaAbrewa Tue 07-Apr-20 13:26:03

Into my third week in lockdown with my faithful companion and wandering how safe I am with my cat who goes and comes as she pleases. I’ve had a chat with her vet asking whether there are any precautions i can/need to take as she spends equal amou ts of time out and about from one garden to the next and still shes a lap cat. She hasnt told me whether shes been stroked and petted by anyone when shes out gallavanting. Shes neutered and up to date with all her jabs etc. I was reading about 'her cousin' the tiger in a Zoo in the Bronx that got COVID-19 apparently passed on by the Zookeeper. Because the news was on CNN and BBC I expect its not fake news. I dont think it was an Aoril fool day emission or could it be? vet says she has not heard about this.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Apr-20 17:21:14

Indeed. Don’t forget it was homo-sapiens who possibly passed to the feline species.

It was Homo sapiens who started the bloody thing in the first place.

Elegran Wed 08-Apr-20 17:09:24

For those who don't follow links, here is the statement from the BVA, who can be taken to know more about this than the rest of us.

"BVA statement on cats and Covid-19

The British Veterinary Association has clarified its position in light of a report on the BBC news website relating to cats and coronavirus. The headline of the article suggested that veterinary advice was to keep all cats indoors, but BVA has explained this advice is only in relation to cats in infected households or where people are self-isolating.

In response to questions from the BBC about general advice for pet owners, BVA had given information that related to both general advice and specific advice for those in infected households, but not made the distinction clear.

BVA President Daniella Dos Santos said:

“It’s incredibly important that information and advice for the public is clear and we regret that this story will have caused worry and upset amongst cat owners. {Not just cat owners!!!}
“We are not advising that all cats are kept indoors. Only cats from infected households or where their owners are self-isolating, and only if the cat is happy to be kept indoors. Some cats cannot stay indoors due to stress-related medical reasons.

“There have been a tiny number of cases of Covid-19 in animals and in all cases, it is likely that the transmission was human to animal. There is no evidence that pets can pass Covid-19 to their owners.

“From the small number of cases it appears that dogs do not show symptoms, but cats can show clinical signs of the disease.

“It is also the case that animals can act as fomites, as the virus could be on their fur in the same way it is on other surfaces, such as tables and doorknobs. That’s why our main advice for pet owners continues to be to practise good hand hygiene.

“And, as a precaution, for pet owners who have Covid-19 or who are self-isolating we are recommending that you keep your cat indoors if possible, during that time.

“It is very important that people don’t panic about their pets. There is no evidence that animals can pass the disease to humans.”

[If panic spreads, animal shelters will be over whelmed with pets, or they might even just be abandoned in the wild, to roam in packs. That would be a really bad scenario.]

Rosalyn69 Wed 08-Apr-20 16:34:23

That is true sodapop but personally I’m trying hard to get a grip and keep things in perspective. I didn’t mean to sound rude just common sense and keep hysteria at bay.

sodapop Wed 08-Apr-20 16:30:37

It doesn't really matter what is proven or said people are afraid and will act irrationally. As is noted from some of these posts

Rosalyn69 Wed 08-Apr-20 16:29:38

If a cat comes into your garden and you don’t touch it or go anywhere near it how is it going to pass the virus on to you -assuming that it is a carrier?
Isn’t everyone just getting a tad paranoid here?
I’m a self isolator for three months but I have not got paranoid yet. We have to be careful but maybe we should stop obsessing over every little thing.
The husband has to go out for horse feed and hay. Wear gloves and wash hands.
I have to go out to feed my horses. They can’t starve.
But I don’t see anyone or speak to anyone. Just the cat.
And I wash my hands and don’t touch my face after touching the dogs.

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 16:25:55

I don't have a "cat problem" where I live. My neighbours keep their pets on their own properties.

I havent kept cats since I moved from rural to urban.

So its not a problem for me.

But anyone who thinks their cat will be welcome or tolerated if let out to roam around a residential area right now is seriously kidding themselves!

Labaik Wed 08-Apr-20 16:23:39

Methinks notanan is notacatperson either. I have a cunning plan*. We will round up all the stray cats, string them up on those dangerous 5G phone masks and burn them whilst chanting an anti covid incantation a la Wicker Man.* It might just work; especially if we throw in a few turnips. And on that cheerful note I shall go and sit in the garden for a while whilst awaiting the daily government propaganda debriefing. And work out which bit of my house [ie which painting on the wall/books on the bookshelf] to use when I'm Skyped on National television.

Grandmafrench Wed 08-Apr-20 16:20:47

16 posts about someone's (so far) unfounded fears and clearly a dislike of cats. Aren't people cruel? That's an understatement. Rather than waste time on here, you'd be better off putting warning signs up around your property and maybe speaking to cat owners where you live - you'll hopefully find someone happy to listen to your concerns, or maybe not.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Apr-20 16:20:37

Strewth! My instinct is to say “get a grip” but I guess some people behave more irrationally than others.

We are all different.

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 16:17:11

Aren’t people cruel.

No people are scared and on the brink of "fight or flight" and it isnt going to take much to tip some people over.

If you have nothing left but the inside of your property. Anything that threatens that last feeling of safety can bring out all kinds of previously unseen reactions.

And that is exactly what roaming cats will do to people right now.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Apr-20 16:14:02

Aren’t people cruel. Animals can’t possibly know about our rules and are entitled to reside in this world as well as our species. Our behaviour caused this but animals suffer.

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 16:12:27

Peoples homes and gardens are their whole world right now. Dont expect logic to prevail if they feel that space is now threatened.

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 16:09:07

A lot of people dont want your cats in their gardens at the best of times. This WILL ramp up 10 fold now.

Your cats are less welcome than ever. There will be a range of reactions to this from neighbour disputes to people feeling forced out of their gardens to no reaction at all to in some cases knee jerk reactions to make it leave/go away by throwing / waving things etc

ExD Wed 08-Apr-20 16:08:14

I'm sure I read somewhere that dogs were found to be infected to lesser extent but as I can't remember where, for the moment I'll stand corrected.

Actually, to be fair, I am trying to keep my free roaming cats indoors as much as possible, for their own welfare because of people getting paranoid and shooting or trapping them.

When do you forecast the shortage of cat litter will begin? It could eclipse the big loo roll panic!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Apr-20 16:06:04

Get a terrier

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 16:04:22

People will react differently (and potentially out of character at this time)

If you do something that causes people extra fear in their own homes/properties, some will react. Some will react by panicing/retreating. Others will lash out.

Labaik Wed 08-Apr-20 15:59:08

You know I'm disinfecting everything; quarantining deliveries, mail; not even going for a daily walk at the moment until this has peaked. But I am not going to sit in my garden hurling bricks at any stray cat that passes through...

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:53:11

So, you're saying that every cat owner has to shut their cat indoors and obtain litter and litter trays.

I'm saying that no cat owner who lets their cat out right now in a built up area can expect their cat to be tolerated/welcome around the neighbourhood.

Let people have what little sanctity they have in their own gardens without CV carrying type mammals from other households traipsing through.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:50:03

Cats don’t belong to anyone they may reside in one house or another, and occasionally move house if it suits them.

I don’t have a cat residing with me btw

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:49:26

ExD its is because cats (and not dogs) are known to catch/carry CV.

If you wouldnt like your neighbours letting themselves into your garden during lockdown, dont let your cat into theirs. You must realise that it wont be likely to get a tolerant reception right now.

Labaik Wed 08-Apr-20 15:48:15

All we need now is to find that mosquitoes can pass it from person to person in which case we might as well give up now...

Labaik Wed 08-Apr-20 15:46:53

I HAVEN'T GOT A BLOODY CAT....but imo you're really upsetting the OP by what you're saying and inciting hatred in people that will possibly love to find an excuse to do unmentionable things to peoples pets. So, you're saying that every cat owner has to shut their cat indoors and obtain litter and litter trays.

ExD Wed 08-Apr-20 15:45:31

I wonder just HOW the virus could be spread either from or to cats/dogs. I take it the OP was concerned she might catch something from a roaming cat(?)
I can see why dogs could be potentially dangerous because some owners allow their dogs to lick their faces, calling it 'kissing' (ugh) but cat's tongues are rough and they're not prone to licking faces as a general rule.
So where's the problem?
I wonder if birds can catch/spread it? No ones done any research on that (yet).
It's nigh on impossible to keep a cat indoors if its spent a whole lifetime free to roam - I think mine would devour the bricks and mortar to get out, well certainly they would wreck the place.

(ps - I love the Mrs Schlocome jokes, I imagine someone saying - 'may I stroke your pussy', and pussy replying 'I'm Freeee'

Summerlove Wed 08-Apr-20 15:44:40

wwm2 I understand that, I just disagree. Like I said, I know I hold a small minority opinion smile

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:42:42

Cats are classed as wild animals. They have freedom to roam as they wish.

If you KNOW people fear cats right now. And you KNOW people are already in heightened states of fear and anxiety. And you KNOW that people are desperately isolating/protecting their properties right now...

.... and you let your cat roam

You KNOW there is an increased risk that it'll get something chucked at it! Still want to let it out?