Gransnet forums

Health

Any worries living with a cat in lockdown as pet cats can come and go as they please.

(58 Posts)
BisaAbrewa Tue 07-Apr-20 13:26:03

Into my third week in lockdown with my faithful companion and wandering how safe I am with my cat who goes and comes as she pleases. I’ve had a chat with her vet asking whether there are any precautions i can/need to take as she spends equal amou ts of time out and about from one garden to the next and still shes a lap cat. She hasnt told me whether shes been stroked and petted by anyone when shes out gallavanting. Shes neutered and up to date with all her jabs etc. I was reading about 'her cousin' the tiger in a Zoo in the Bronx that got COVID-19 apparently passed on by the Zookeeper. Because the news was on CNN and BBC I expect its not fake news. I dont think it was an Aoril fool day emission or could it be? vet says she has not heard about this.

SalsaQueen Tue 07-Apr-20 16:15:07

The is absolutely NO real evidence that cats can contract Covid-19 and pass it on to humans. There are MILLIONS of cats all going about their daily routine, none of them a problem. My own cat comes and goes as he pleases, we (family) all stroke him, and we are all fine. No need to worry.

Pikachu Tue 07-Apr-20 16:27:11

There is some evidence that humans can pass the virus to cats. Haven’t seen any that an infected cat can pass it forward, yet.

But, in the unlikely event that an infected person stroked your pussy while she was out wandering, then if you’re worried rub her down with a pet wipe for twenty seconds while singing Hey diddle diddle the cat and the fiddle, twice.

BlueSky Wed 08-Apr-20 13:57:15

Pikachu your post made me laugh. It reminded me of Mrs Slocombe's pussy of 'Are you being served?' fame! grin

avitorl Wed 08-Apr-20 14:06:13

Pikachu, I'm ashamed to admit that having your pussy stroked did make me laugh,sorry!
I think I'm safe with my cat as she is afraid of all people except me so will not allow herself to be stroked by anyone else.
I did read that humans can pass the virus to cats if the human has Covid 19.So don't stroke your pussy if you are showing symptoms of the virus.

Pikachu Wed 08-Apr-20 14:47:59

We need to keep our silly British sense of humour don’t we? ?

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:53:34

The is absolutely NO real evidence that cats can contract Covid-19 and pass it on to humans.

Theres no evidence either way because it hasnt been tested.

There is some evidence that humans can pass the virus to cats. Haven’t seen any that an infected cat can pass it forward, yet.
Also because it hasnt been tested. Not because it doesnt happen. We are not doing "tracing" here so there will not be this sort of evidence

If you live rurally, fine let your cat out. Is is not decent to let your cat out at the moment if you know it goes onto other peoples properties. Its just not fair people should feel safe to self isolate in their own gardens

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:57:15

The is absolutely NO real evidence that cats can contract Covid-19 and pass it on to humans. There are MILLIONS of cats all going about their daily routine, none of them a problem. My own cat comes and goes as he pleases, we (family) all stroke him, and we are all fine. No need to worry

Its fine for you not to worry but its also not unreasonable for others to worry if your cat goes onto their property. It's not fair to drive others indoors.

ALL we know is that cats get it, cats spread it to other cats, and humans spread it to cats.
There is no evidence to say that cats dont spread it back to humans yet. We just havent traced an infection that way. And we wont as we're not doing tracing.

Pikachu Wed 08-Apr-20 14:57:35

Yes dear. As a biologist I know all this.

quizqueen Wed 08-Apr-20 14:58:39

I've sneezed over my cat so many times and she's never had cold symptoms herself. In fact, she seems to want to get closer to me and my face whenever I'm ill.

Pikachu Wed 08-Apr-20 14:58:43

In fact that’s what I said but more succinctly ?

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:01:57

In fact that’s what I said but more succinctly

No you said nothing at all about the impact of wandering cats right now on non cat owners

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:03:14

Also some people will react out of fear right now. Letting your cat roam buts them at increased risk of injury if people throw things etc at them to keep them out of their gardens

Pikachu Wed 08-Apr-20 15:04:18

Perhaps if you punctuated your reply it would make sense.,

Septimia Wed 08-Apr-20 15:04:58

We're fortunate to live in a rural area so the contact our cats have with other people and other cats is relatively limited. What's more, most of the cats here that I've observed have been practising social distancing for years, both with each other and with humans.

It's sensible to bear in mind that pets could spread it, but I can't see that it's necessary to be OTT about it. Let common sense prevail!

sodapop Wed 08-Apr-20 15:06:46

I heard something about this today. No evidence either way as to whether or not our cats can transmit CV. However they are a surface like any other and care should be taken after stroking them, hand washing etc. Don't let them near your face or lick you. All common sense things really.

Pikachu Wed 08-Apr-20 15:08:05

Ah! Ha! Think I have disentangled your sentence and thought process. You think that cats wandering present a danger to ‘non cat owners’?

Pikachu Wed 08-Apr-20 15:08:36

Spot on soda

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:12:06

I think they will cause fear to non cat owners.
People see protecting and isolating their bubbles of space as life and death right now. It is not unreasonable for people to fear cats that come into their properties. We do know they can carry CV just not much more.
If you let your cat out now, at best you will be driving people inside. At worst they will react out of fear and throw/wave/hit things to get your cat to leave.

Pikachu Wed 08-Apr-20 15:16:45

Or set the dog on it?

Labaik Wed 08-Apr-20 15:18:59

I freaked out when someone [pre lockdown] stroked my dog when we were out walking even though the dog was on a lead and we were stood 6 feet apart so I understand the OP's concern. I think this was mentioned in a Q&A on facebook the other day but that was before the news broke about the infected tigers. I don't think [it said] the virus lives particularly well on fur. People tend not to stroke other peoples cats when they're out roaming. It's very difficult to keep a cat in the house when it's been used to freedom; I used to have house cats that had an outside pen but they spent most of their lives trying to escape out of windows/through the front door. And a cat that isn't used to using a litter tray might start messing in the house. I do hope that non cat owners don't start turning on any cats they see now. If you do use wipes on her they need to be special pet ones. Maybe, when she's on your lap cover your lap with a towel or something that can be washed. Don't let her lick you. etc etc . If you do get a litter tray for her be careful about the faeces as the virus is transmitted via faeces. Disinfect any surfaces she climbs onto. Other than that, don't know what to say as advice about this virus seems to change by the hour. Thankfully my dog has come into season so isn't going for walks anyway but I was getting a bit paranoid about what she might bring in on her paws.

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:21:39

I do hope that non cat owners don't start turning on any cats they see now.

People act primitively not logically when theyre in a heightened state of fear.

If someone has gone to huge lengths to keep their houshold isolated and safe, then a potential covid carrying animal breaches that sanctity, they may lash out first think later.

suziewoozie Wed 08-Apr-20 15:22:58

This is relevant

www.bva.co.uk/news-and-blog/news-article/bva-statement-on-cats-and-covid-19/

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:23:10

Aside from the injury risk to the cats, it's not fair to cause people to be afraid of their own gardens when its the only place they've previously not been afraid to go.

notanan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 15:25:57

And, as a precaution, for pet owners who have Covid-19 or who are self-isolating we are recommending that you keep your cat indoors if possible, during that time.

This makes no sense. Either its safe for cats to roam around multiple properties where people are in varying states of isolation/infection or it's not.