Gransnet forums

Health

Footpaths and gates

(43 Posts)
ExD Thu 09-Apr-20 11:57:42

From where I sit in my garden I can see green fields and hills and its a wonderful place to be isolated in and I know how lucky I am.
I can also see family group after family group walk along a footpath across fields and into a wood. there are field gates along this path, big ones large enough to drive a tractor through.
Seeing the numbers of people passing along, I wonder about the possibility of transmission of the virus on the metal handle/opener of the gate. Are these people safe? Its a lovely footpath along some pretty scenery and I wouldn't want it closed - but, do they think about how many hands have been on those gates before them?
I seem to remember reading that it can live for up to 72 hours on metal and thats why we should sanitize our door handles and hand rails.
Just a passing thought whilst I'm staying here in the sunshine.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 10-Apr-20 12:16:59

Sunlover
There are NHS approved disposable sanitised hand wipes you can buy online.Surely much safer than carrying a piece of cloth around with you waiting to go in the washing machine no doubt at the same time as other items?

Theoddbird Fri 10-Apr-20 12:34:25

Sarahellenwhitney if you are using the same pair of gloves all along the walk or even shipping in s supermarket, if you pick the virus up on one item or gate latch you will pass it to the next thing you touch. You can't wash your hands after everything you touch when out. Best advice is not to touch your face while out and thoroughly wash your hands when you get home

M0nica Fri 10-Apr-20 13:55:52

Thankfully few of our footpaths have either stiles or gates. So far I have been wearing gloves when using the one walk with styles. When I get home I take them off and leave them on the side. The virus, if any is still alive, will be non-viable when I next use them , then I wash my hands.

Much more important to have my secaturs to cut back the brambles on the less used paths and spare cash and a bag incase I buy any plants displayed for sale on stands at people's garden gates.

Esspee Fri 10-Apr-20 14:08:19

I do wonder when I read of people using wipes whether any company is manufacturing wipes which kill Covid19?
Most wipes are antibacterial, some products e.g. Dettol say they also kill coronaviruses but don't say that they have been proven to kill Covid19 - as they have not!
Please do not think a wipe will protect you. You need alcohol 60% or above or soap and water.

moggie57 Sat 11-Apr-20 03:57:57

i would put a notice up.about touching the gate and distancing...or print one out from the internet and put in a plastic folder..

Nanniejude Sat 11-Apr-20 07:37:37

I walk to work across 2 parks and open the gates with my foot and use my elbow to slide the gate. I wash my hands when I get to work.

Pikachu Sat 11-Apr-20 07:48:14

Yes, the virus can be transferred onto gates and latches and stay active for about 24 hours on wood and several days on metal.

Kittye Sat 11-Apr-20 07:49:06

I await to see piles of discarded wet wipes and disposable gloves alongside the dog poo bags on my daily walk in our local woods ?

GrannyLaine Sat 11-Apr-20 07:56:32

The virus cannot enter your body through your skin.

All that is required is to NOT touch your face, particularly nose mouth or eyes while outdoors and to wash your hands thoroughly as soon as you arrive home.
Gloves are a distraction lending a false sense of security as they transfer virus in just the same way as hands do.

Pikachu Sat 11-Apr-20 08:36:19

I predict that within a few weeks the scientists will change their advice on masks and gloves, especially when they ease lockdown.

MaizieD Sat 11-Apr-20 08:46:04

By the way I have one neighbour whose house is actually his second home. He lives in London most of the time. Now I see he is back here in Devon. The Government tells us not to visit our second homes. But it is a lot safer here in Devon than in London.

That's nice of him, Annaram1. I trust he hasn't brought some Covid19 with him, London being something of a hotspot, you know. hmm

That's why people are being asked not to travel to holiday homes etc. To minimise the risk of spreading the disease.

GrannyLaine Sat 11-Apr-20 09:10:32

In what way Pikachu? The underpinning science won't change.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 11-Apr-20 09:50:39

I wear my marigolds because they are bulky and remind me not to touch my face.

notanan2 Sat 11-Apr-20 10:15:10

Now I see he is back here in Devon. The Government tells us not to visit our second homes. But it is a lot safer here in Devon than in London.

Is his GP from London bunking up with him
Because GPs cannot handle extra temporary registrations right now.

Atqui Sat 11-Apr-20 14:52:16

Disposable gloves ? If only I knew where I’d buy some!!

Labaik Sat 11-Apr-20 22:53:31

Pikachu; the reason the government aren't advising people to wear masks is probably because they haven't got any. If and when someone in government works out how to obtain protection for people in this country they'll probably advise us to use them. One of those things which, imo, can't do any harm but might just do some good. The reasoning being that a mask might not protect you from the virus but will prevent an asymptomatic person coughing or sneezing in a confined space thereby infecting other people. As ever we'll be the last country to officially implement it by which time most people with any sense will be wearing them already...

Pikachu Tue 14-Apr-20 08:24:22

Labaik you are probably right on all points.

And I stand by my prediction.

@crystalball