Gransnet forums

Health

If we feel ill .... ?

(97 Posts)
ExD Sun 12-Apr-20 22:03:39

If we feel ill (sore throat, cough, temperature etc) and we're alone, surviving on internet deliveries, what do we do if we feel ill? Who do we tell?
We know we're supposed to take paracetamol and drink water ..... and if we get worse to go to bed.
Then what?

FranT Thu 16-Apr-20 01:11:23

I wonder whether the people who are condemning Yogadatti for her comments, would feel the same, if like myself, had just lost their Daughter, a keyworker aged 47, who has left 4 children without a Mum? She had rang 111 & was told if her symptoms worsened. i.e. temperature, difficulty breathing, then seek further help, her 17 year old son rang an ambulance, her oxygen levels were low, by the time she reached hospital they had worsened , she had a cardiac arrest, they worked in her for 40 minutes , but could not save her. so try telling her 4 children, that the likes of Boris Johnson would have had not had preferential treatment!

notanan2 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:55:19

CV may be novel but pneumonia (and doing what you can to prevent it) is nothing new.

I think remembering that makes it less scary.

Think back to how you cared for your infants when they had bad chests: you sat them upright to help them clear their chests. You let them rest but not for too long. You made sure they got up and had regular drinks. Apply that theory to yourself
See you know more than you think!

notanan2 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:51:47

We were advised not to lie down if we developed a cough, to sit upright.

Yes. But also you need adequate rest too.
And the two really are tricky to balance.

So dont deprive yourself of rest for fear of lying down, but also remember to try and at least reduce time spent lying on your back, and do get up and move during the day to open up the bottoms of the lungs

Callistemon Tue 14-Apr-20 19:48:06

We were advised not to lie down if we developed a cough, to sit upright and try to cough even if it hurts.
Deep breathing too, as advised by a GP during the SARS crisis when I travelled to Hong Kong.

But, if in doubt, of course call the emergency services.

notanan2 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:44:13

Also, as I said, dont do anything that exhausts you.

notanan2 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:41:11

And avoid prolongued lying on your back.

Thats basically what those exercise videos promote. Filling and clearing your lung bases. And not restricting them with bad positioning.

notanan2 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:39:53

Of course speak to your physician

But the science/theory behind those videos is the same theories used in the hospital & ITU treatments for CV19 (at least the ones we have so far):

Keep the lung bases clear and filled.
Keep moving so your lungs can expand (without exhausting yourself).

Thats sound for any respiratory issue. And we do not have many tools in our box when it comes to CV but thus far, these theories are behind what treatments we do have.

SueDonim Tue 14-Apr-20 19:34:20

The evidence isn’t there that that those exercises are beneficial. I’d be wary of doing them without speaking to a medical professional. www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/apr/08/from-vitamin-c-to-breathing-exercises-doctors-on-what-you-should-really-do-for-your-health-right-now?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

notanan2 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:24:20

I've seen this one shared a few times:
youtu.be/EQlFeBLrbS0

Labaik Tue 14-Apr-20 19:23:01

I wonder if ibuprofen reduces temperature as much as paracetamol? It probably does. I find the breathing exercises good to do just to relieve my anxiety about the virus.

notanan2 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:19:53

This one is basic by sounds sensible youtu.be/sQwheE7wJZY

notanan2 Tue 14-Apr-20 19:14:07

There are some good "chest physio" vids going round. Have a look out for reputable ones.

This is what I have gathered about home self covid care. (Obv pls verify it yourself before following but this might give a starting point for your own research)

With CV19 lying on your front when you sleep can help. Most of your lungs are on your back so by lying on your front you help to keep the bases clear to help prevent pneumonia.

This one is tricky: dont spend your days in bed but also dont exhaust yourself
A hard balance to strike.
So let me put it this way:
Do less on your good days and more on your bad days
On a good day dont be tempted to over exert yourself just because you can after a few days ill: you might not be as over it as you think and may need your energy to fight agsin tomorrow if you feel worse again. So dont wear yourself out just because you think youve perked up.
But, on the days you feel rough do try to get up and move a little more than you might want to. It'll help your lungs enormously to not slump or lie for too long during the day.

A lot of the good covid chest physio vids Ive seen were on facebook but have a look on youtube, some chest physios are beginning to share useful advice

Silverlady333 Tue 14-Apr-20 17:03:02

Labaik actually I didn't. I took Ibuprofen which they now say you shouldn't take!

Labaik Tue 14-Apr-20 13:48:31

Silverlady; did you take paracetamol?

Silverlady333 Tue 14-Apr-20 13:37:12

Thank you annepl.
Until they get a suitable serology test we won't know!

I just know I can't remember being so ill for years! We hadn't heard much about Covid 19 in February. Perhaps if we had we would have called the Dr's surgery!
We are feeling fine now.

annep1 Tue 14-Apr-20 11:41:02

Silverlady333 it does sound like you had Covid 19. You were very lucky. Sending best wishes for continued recovery.

Barmeyoldbat Tue 14-Apr-20 09:50:14

Good post moorlikeit.

Misha14 Tue 14-Apr-20 09:42:10

In total agreement with moorlikeit. The government has been slow to act, in spite of warnings from WHO and Italian doctors. They have always been one step behind instead of leading. As for Boris Johnson working when he was ill as anyone suffering from a high temperature will know that was plain stupid. You can't think straight let alone run a country.

M0nica Tue 14-Apr-20 09:04:50

Ring 111 whether you think you have Covid or anything else.

As the lockdown started, DD went down with something else entirely. It was acute so she rang 111. She was immediately sent to an out of hours centre, where she was examined and told to speak to her GP. Tests were ordered, a prescription sent to the pharmacist she used and she is now back to normal.

There is real concern that the death rate from other illnesses, especially heart attacks, will go up because people delay contacting their doctors because of the emergency.

So if you are ill no matter what the problem RING 111

Pikachu Tue 14-Apr-20 08:15:47

GreenGran I agree this is shocking. There are whole sections of the community, like your friend now in ICU, who are not getting the care they need. People are dying at home, or in care homes, and they seem to be abandoned to their fate.

What is going on?

Silverlady333 Tue 14-Apr-20 01:03:40

My partner and I were extremely ill with an upper respiratory infection back in February. I was worse than my partner.
(I actually wonder if it was a form of Covid 19).

We didn't have temperature but we did have sore throats like we had eaten glass. Then the cough started which was incessant. It was a non productive cough.

We drank loads of hot drinks.
We sucked Fisherman's friends lozenges (I normally hate them but I couldn't really taste them) and Victory V's.
We had Corvonia cough mixture for tickly coughs.
I could hardly breath a so smothered my chest and neck with Vick.
I used a facial sauna with menthol crystals.
As as soon we lay down the cough got worse and we couldn't sleep which made us exhausted.
We took turns sleeping on our reclining chairs so we could try to sleep sitting up and to try not to disturb each other.
We were too ill to do shopping. A neighbour got us some shopping the 1st week and we had to order our groceries on line the 2nd week.
We didn't call the Dr because we knew it was viral and antibiotics wouldn't work and it didn't go to our chest (but would have called if it had).
The cough went on for about 3 weeks.
I am just getting my sense of taste back now.
Anyone getting Covid 19 may be a lot worse or hopefully not as ill as we were and have only posted this as it might help someone.

annep1 Tue 14-Apr-20 00:01:13

I agree too with moorlikeit. My son and partner were basically told to take paracetamol and isolate from each other and everyone else! Thats all the help they were given. They were both very ill. In bed for days. Luckily they coped - just about. Nor were they tested, but we know it was Covid 19. I thjnk Boris might have been treated a little bit better.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Apr-20 22:46:16

I'm not at all a person to even go to the doctor when I should, but I wouldn't like to hang around waiting until I felt ill enough to need an ambulance.

Labaik Mon 13-Apr-20 22:28:26

I know I keep banging on about Dr John Campbells utube blog but he says that taking paracetamol reduces the fever and the fever is there to kill the virus. So I don't understand why people are advised to take it. Yes; it does make you feel better at the time but the illness can then last longer and you are infectious for longer also. Because you feel slightly better you're also less likely to sleep and sleep, again is healing. And, if you do go to hospital they won't have a true idea of your temperature because the paracetamol will have reduced it.This doesn't obviously apply to young children. And also, of course, if one does have a fever it's important to stay hydrated.

GreenGran78 Mon 13-Apr-20 22:08:08

One of my choir friends was admitted to hospital, then sent home again. A day later he was back in, on a ventilator in icu. The machine has been breathing for him for a week, and he has been under sedation. Today we heard that they are reducing his oxygen, in the hope that he will start breathing on his own again. If he does they will start to wake him up gradually.
Maybe if they hadn’t sent him home the first time he wouldn’t he ended up in such a bad state. Who knows?
I read a blog yesterday from an ambulance driver. Nine of his calls, that day, were to people in cardiac arrest from the virus, and they all couldn’t be saved. Each time they had to sanitise all their equipment before being ready for their next call. He was shocked to find himself being relieved when he was called to a suicide.
The number of deaths outside hospitals isn’t being included in the National figures. People with the virus are often becoming really ill very quickly. I’m not trying to scare anyone, but don’t wait too long to phone if you begin to feel really ill.