Gransnet forums

Health

This may be a reason to change

(19 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Sun 19-Apr-20 16:10:27

The following reports posted online today seem to confirm that a change in our eating habits may be long overdue.
I realise that many people may be eating more 'treats' than usual and certainly those WFH might be eating more filling meals.
It's hard losing weight when you only have an hour outside every day but...we will have to make the most of it.
I aim to take a skipping rope with me tomorrow and do 10 mins hard skipping at the beginning and end of my then reduced 40 minute run.
Perhaps other people can suggest ways of indoor exercise for less able GNs to enjoy.

GabriellaG54 Sun 19-Apr-20 16:11:04

Forgot these...

BlueBelle Sun 19-Apr-20 16:12:45

WFH ??? I know WTF but not this one

GabriellaG54 Sun 19-Apr-20 16:13:27

...and this

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 19-Apr-20 16:13:36

Working from home

GabriellaG54 Sun 19-Apr-20 16:15:05

Working
From
Home ?

M0nica Sun 19-Apr-20 20:23:04

I cannot see why being confined to home and locality should cause weight problems. Exercise is not limited to an hour and you can walk a brisk three miles in that time anyway. There are plenty of exercise classes online and many people have gardens that need looking after. I appreciate some people are disabled, but the chances are that many of them will not get out a lot normally.

As for eating, as a retired person I haven't been out of the house all day every day for a long time and am quite used to being at home and eating a normal diet without feeling any need to snack.

Far from being in danger of putting weight on, being stuck at home means you have complete control of what you are eating for at least three months, no meals out, visits to friends and family outings etc. You can start a healthy eating plan and stick with it. By the end of the three months you could be several stone lighter and completely adjusted t a better healthier way of eating.

I think it is time we started seeing people who feel a constant need to stuff food in their mouths as unnormal and those who don't as normal, instead of the reverse where anyone who eats normally is considered odd and only those who eat constantly are considered normal.

suziewoozie Sun 19-Apr-20 20:25:24

I might have some suggestions re alternative uses for the skipping rope Gaby but if I voiced them I’d probably get banned ?

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 21:00:13

I am missing lunches out at the pub.

Salad at home just isn't the same

MawB Sun 19-Apr-20 21:01:46

Hot sex?

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 21:03:08

Ooh er
blush

I was thinking along different lines myself.

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 21:03:53

More Agatha Christie

Barmeyoldbat Sun 19-Apr-20 21:10:29

I don't think there is any reason to put on weight during lockdown, you can do more than an hours exercise outside as Monica said. Just stop buying so much food so temptation is not there.
Also heard somewhere that sex will use up as much energy as running a mile. Mmm not sure about this

BlueSky Sun 19-Apr-20 21:25:52

Barmeyoldboat for men perhap! I'd rather run a mile in any case! grin

EllanVannin Sun 19-Apr-20 21:37:54

A skinny Minnie here. Never had a problem with weight. Mum used to say I had hollow legs.

aggie Sun 19-Apr-20 22:06:41

I am losing weight as my daughter is shopping and doesn’t buy treats , she would if I asked
I think you better lose the skipping rope before you trip on it , but mind you ..... mmm

GrandmaMoira Sun 19-Apr-20 22:36:48

For those of us retired, lockdown surely shouldn't mean weight gain as we have no lunches out or coffee with friends.
For workers saying they snack more at home, I used to feel hungry and snack at work but never at home. Maybe I was bored at work but not now I'm retired?

MerylStreep Sun 19-Apr-20 22:55:33

I saw this on FB.
When you are stressed you eat ice cream, cake, chocolate, sweets, why?
Because stressed spelt backwards is DESSERTS. ?

Ninarosa Sun 19-Apr-20 23:02:37

Lukewarm sex more like , MawB.