Gransnet forums

Health

Grandson's cancelled operation

(28 Posts)
grannyactivist Mon 20-Apr-20 20:31:07

My grandson is nearly two and following an infection he has developed very severe strabismus (squint) in both eyes. The consultant said that he will need an urgent operation otherwise there could be permanent damage, but the soonest that he could be seen was early May. My daughter got a phone call today from the consultant's secretary to say the appointment has been cancelled as the paediatric ophthalmology consultant is now doing duty in other departments due to the coronavirus.

My grandson's eyes are so bad that the first thing he does when he wakes is to reach for his glasses - he never has to be persuaded to put them on - but even so his eyes are getting noticeably worse. My daughter has repeated the consultant's own words back to his secretary about the urgency, but the secretary said that all doctors are needed to aid the coronavirus response and she can't say when the next appointment will be made. sad

brook2704 Thu 30-Apr-20 16:52:51

Thank you for your latest news grannyactivist it sounds a slightly more positive. I really hope your little grandson has his operation soon and before his dad needs to go away

Hetty58 Thu 30-Apr-20 17:04:25

There have been staff shortages, of course.

Over the coming weeks and months it should be possible to begin to release anaesthetists and other key staff from looking after Coronavirus patients so that more routine operations can resume in both NHS and private hospitals.