Gransnet forums

Health

Sad day

(51 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Tue 05-May-20 20:41:05

It's a very sad day for the UK today. Highest number of CV deaths in Europe. Seems like it's all doom and gloom again and I don't think lockdown should be lifted any time soon.

FarNorth Wed 06-May-20 15:46:01

I believe a main reason for infections and deaths in care homes, is lack of PPE for staff.
That means staff, while trying to do their best for residents, are bringing in infection from outside and are spreading it among the residents.

FarNorth Wed 06-May-20 15:48:02

A useful statistic to know, I think, would be the deaths as a percentage of those known to be infected.
Is that available for the UK?

FarNorth Wed 06-May-20 15:53:33

In Scotland 13% of those known to be infected have died, while 63% have recovered.

This Corona virus tracker website gives many interesting statistics and is updated every day at 3pm.

www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/

AGAA4 Wed 06-May-20 15:55:38

Care Homes were forgotten during the initial stages. I agree with FarNorth that because they didn't have effective PPE staff were passing on the infection to residents, who are mostly elderly and frail and didn't stand much of a chance against Covid.
Sadly many people have lost their older relatives. It is sobering to see Care Homes half empty as so many have died.
A substantial number of the total of deaths have been from Care Homes.

heath480 Wed 06-May-20 16:13:34

Lockdown has to end,the economy is collapsing.A lot of businesses will never reopen.

It is alright for people to call for lockdown to be extended,these are the ones who have an income.

My son is in Cornwall and furloughed,his boss still has t received money from the Government,he is tearing his hair out,today he paid those on furlough 50% of what they should be getting. My daughter in law is still working,so they managed to pay their bills,several of my sons colleagues couldn’t even do that,it is disastrous.

I have been helping my son out financially,I am able to do it,most people are not so fortunate.

Goodness knows how this will pan out in years to come,but doubt we will recover from this in my lifetime.

Baggs Wed 06-May-20 16:21:39

As momb says up thread, it's not really possible at this stage to compare numbers between countries as they all report in different ways.

Time will tell.

AGAA4 Wed 06-May-20 16:23:59

My son is in a similar position. I didn't make it clear in my first post. We need to get people back to work as soon as possible but safely. Older, retired people such as myself don't have to go out. Workers do. It is still the older people who are most at risk.

Callistemon Wed 06-May-20 16:30:58

Joyfulnanna Scientists discovered that there are three different types of COVID19 a month ago, A B and C as the virus mutated.

Whether someone who has had one strain is then resistant to all I do not know, in fact it is not certain that anyone becomes resistant or, if so, how long antibodies would last.

There is a lot of research ongoing.

FarNorth Wed 06-May-20 16:35:02

Failure of the UK government to provide the promised financial support, is not a good reason to abandon safety to get back to work.

Callistemon Wed 06-May-20 16:36:56

It could be that the Type C variant could be more infectious hence the higher number of cases in Europe and N America.

It is also, as Bluebelle says, difficult to know exactly how many cases have occurred in some other countries as we cannot know the accuracy of the figures from anywhere.

quizqueen Wed 06-May-20 16:55:24

We may have high numbers of deaths but, per capita, we are lower on the list and Sweden, who didn't lockdown, has lower deaths than many European countries.

www.snouts-in-the-trough.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Covid-deaths-per-million-of-population.jpg

Grammaretto Wed 06-May-20 17:15:45

Not only were care homes forgotten but care home managers were offered payment to take sick people from hospital. There's a scandal waiting to be unravelled.
Re: New Statesman 24/04/20

NZ may be a lot smaller etc but their borders were closed on 19/03/20
21 covid deaths recorded as of today.

And look at the way air travellers seem to be commuting still. Why?
Ref: Aer Lingus packed flight yesterday. BBC news.

Hetty58 Wed 06-May-20 18:02:27

Why on Earth are we still not enforcing quarantine for all those coming into the UK?

FarNorth Wed 06-May-20 19:42:12

quizqueen that graph states "figures for some countries only represent deaths in hospital".

Do you know which countries those are?

maddyone Wed 06-May-20 23:27:18

If we keep on allowing people from all over the world to arrive on aeroplanes and do not test or quarantine them, we can expect Covid19 to keep on running and running in this country. It simply won’t go away unless a vaccine becomes available, because infected people from all over the world will keep importing it into Britain.

mumofmadboys Wed 06-May-20 23:58:07

One of my sons recently ( 15 days ago) got a repatriation flight from India. There were 300 on board. All had to wear face masks. Got into Heathrow. No instructions given about self isolating at all. He did self isolate at our house for 14 days and thankfully remains well. I would have thought as a minimum a brief set of written instructions would be given to each passenger. Cheap and simple.

BlueSky Thu 07-May-20 08:40:40

The problem with advice on self isolation, are people going to follow it? I know it would be impossible to enforce, it will be down to the individual. But yes at least a leaflet wouldn't go amiss.

Ellianne Thu 07-May-20 09:40:01

Talking of flights into the UK, I also wondered Grammaretto what all those travellers on Aer Lingus were doing coming from Belfast to the London anyway? Surely that should be the question not whether the airline was to blame.

maddyone Thu 07-May-20 11:04:43

mumofmadboys I’m so pleased to hear your son got home safely and was responsible enough to self isolate for the recommended fourteen days.
My point is that if flights are arriving with huge numbers on them, it’s more than possible that some of those passengers are incubating Covid19. We can never get rid of it whilst we are potentially importing it.
I also saw the news item about the Aer Lingus packed flight, no masks, nothing. Why is that flight even allowed to land her in the UK? Repatriation is one thing, but those people on that flight cannot have been being repatriated. What’s going on? Why were they coming here? Why were they allowed to?

FarNorth Thu 07-May-20 14:02:15

maddyone, Belfast is in Northern Ireland which is part of the UK.

Perhaps all those people have essential reasons for traveling from one part of the UK to another.

I hope the airlines are checking whether they do, in the same way that Scottish ferry companies are doing.

They are certainly not taking safety seriously, however, going by that report.
It is very worrying.

maddyone Thu 07-May-20 14:19:37

FarNorth
I hadn’t realised that the plane came from Belfast, which is obviously part of the UK. However, I still cannot see why all those people are making ‘essential’ journeys. A plane load of people making the journey across from Northern Ireland simply cannot be all making essential journeys. Essential is key workers travelling to work, it’s food being delivered, it’s people going for their essential shopping. Nothing else is essential. Business can be conducted by video link. I don’t believe even one of them was making an essential journey.
I agree with you, I would hope airlines are checking if the journey is essential, but I doubt they are. Too many people are not taking safety seriously and again I agree, it’s very worrying.

AGAA4 Thu 07-May-20 16:56:35

On one of the coronavirus updates a question was asked about people arriving in the UK on flights and not subject to self isolation. The reply was that as the virus is already here there is no point in asking people to self isolate.
Anyone else find this a strange answer?

FarNorth Thu 07-May-20 19:34:53

Very strange.

maddyone Thu 07-May-20 20:25:55

It is very, very strange. Wow, it’s left me very puzzled.

georgenotheoldone Mon 11-May-20 12:08:25

Neutral Comment that I have not seen elsewhere:
Most people in Care Homes have an End of Life Plan. Many of those have variations on "Do Not Resuscitate".
FiL had one, these are a legally valid witnessed documents drawn up by resident of sound mind. It cannot be changed or overridden by relatives or managers.
Inevitably it will give us a higher death rate among those residents.