Gransnet forums

Health

Stiffness

(36 Posts)
Jennerdysphoria Sun 10-May-20 11:24:53

Suddenly overnight the stiffness in my back and legs, that has been worrying me for about a month, has disappeared. This seems almost miraculous and I am trying to discover the cause. The only new things to have passed my lips have been
banana
turmeric
ginger
butter beans
cucumber
butter
balsamic vinegar
Martini
milk (more than usual)

Any ideas?!

Jennerdysphoria Wed 20-May-20 19:02:43

Reporting back, my stiffness stays away unless I don't use turmeric, when it starts creeping back. I am so convinced that I have ordered some turmeric pills.

I note the warnings above about not taking it with blood thinners, etc. and thankyou for those. Luckily, I don't take any meds except Levothyroxine.

Also thankyou for the information that turmeric needs black pepper and fat to be fully activated (when I first noticed the effect I had taken it with warm milk). I do use black pepper on food as well.

In answer to other questions, I had not done anything differently as far as I know. I do a dog walk most days.

Lizbethann55 Mon 11-May-20 23:22:58

How much martini? It sounds more fun than the turmeric.

mrsgreenfingers56 Mon 11-May-20 17:29:19

I tried turmeric hearing how good it was for you, but after a few weeks I started with the most awful itching and my husband started on it as well and suffered the same, he asked me if I had changed the washing powder! The itching would start on my neck and go down my back and it was most unpleasant so ditched the turmeric.

narrowboatnan Mon 11-May-20 15:41:53

Lintbells, who make YuMove for cats and dogs, also make IMove, which is for people.

Turmeric is a very good anti inflammatory but you need to know that it needs piperine oil from black pepper corns to make it available to the body at cellular level, and a fat (such as butter or milk) or an oil (coconut oil is excellent) to dissolve it so that it doesn't simply go straight through before doing any good. It is also worth remembering that it's not how much you take, but how often as it only stays in the system for a few hours. Best way, if you don't want the faff of making your own Turmeric concoction, is to buy capsules with black pepper in and wash them down with something like milk (for the fat content) or alcohol (also dissolves Turmeric).

theonlynamenottaken Mon 11-May-20 15:26:04

Trying turmeric in tea bags every day. Seems to help a bit.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 11-May-20 14:47:57

Were you warmer in bed last night or more warmly dressed yesterday? Stiffness can often be alleviated by keeping warm.

Have you changed your washing powder?

Your mentioning food made me think you were attributing part of your stiffness to an allergy. These can well be caused by perfume or other components of washing powder.

Hope the stiffness stays away.

Caramac Mon 11-May-20 13:45:13

My dog has a green lipped muscle tablet twice daily. Bear with me. It has made a noticeable difference and the tablets are available in a different (I think) formulation.
The tablets are called Yumove and I get mine online from Lintbells. They often have discount offers too. It costs at full price about £20 delivered for one months supply.

SunnySusie Mon 11-May-20 13:31:11

Have you been out in the sun Jennerdysphoria? A couple of years ago I had horrendous pain and stiffness in my legs, back, feet and face. It would come and go and was worse at the end of the winter. Eventually it turned out to be Vitamin D deficiency. A few days of being out in the bright sun and the stiffness disappeared like magic. I now take a Vitamin D supplement and go out for fifteen minutes before putting on sun screen.

Flygirl Mon 11-May-20 12:03:00

Turmeric. It's the best.

Gingergirl Mon 11-May-20 12:00:06

Sandelf, I think you may be speaking for a lot people there.

Bijou Mon 11-May-20 11:45:29

I am pleased I watched this forum. I suffer from stiffness and pain in joints from arthritis and have been taking turmeric recently. Now from Shasal’s post find that it can make bleeding worse. Since having anal cancer ( cured) bleed when going to the toilet which has been worse lately so think this maybe due to the turmeric. Seems that curing one problem can cause another. I do take cod liver oil.

Hetty58 Mon 11-May-20 11:39:22

In my case it's helped to avoid certain foods. I found that changing from vegetarian to vegan really improved my joint flexibility. Dairy can be an irritant for some of us. Cutting down on Omega-6 helps too.

www.healthline.com/health/foods-to-avoid-with-arthritis#salt-and-preservatives

icanhandthemback Mon 11-May-20 11:35:51

Turmeric needs to have pepper added to make it a miracle cure!

Helennonotion Mon 11-May-20 11:33:02

Home made Golden Paste made from turmeric, coconut oil and ground black pepper. Changed my life for the better! Very little stiffness now and I've only had a couple of very mild colds in the 2 and a half years I've been taking it. The dog takes it too! There's a very helpful Facebook group called 'Turmeric Support Group People & Pets' Loads of info on there.

Abuelana Mon 11-May-20 11:25:44

Turmeric keep taking it ?

sandelf Mon 11-May-20 11:25:23

Bit left field but do you think you might just have sort of relaxed somewhere after the PM statement that we are going to adjust the lockdown and its a bit reassuring and 'steady as you go'? I know we have been just so tired for ages and I have really 'fallen' into stupid panic (about decontamination of shopping). Trying to rest and be calm.

Gingergirl Mon 11-May-20 11:24:17

I know some will think this is rubbish, but consider whether you feel different emotionally. Sometimes our emotions affect aches and pains...as they change, so can the pain. Nutritionally, turmeric and ginger can help with inflammation but more importantly, if the whole balance of your diet has altered, that can also in turn affect pain. I’m a complementary therapist and have found over twenty years, that emotion and diet are possibly the two most important factors (in that order).

janipans Mon 11-May-20 11:13:07

I think I read somewhere that cod liver oil can help with joint pain? But if you think it is one of those foods listed that has helped why not just keep eating them all regularly, then, if still ok you can drop one at a time and see if anything changes. Failing that I have a TENS machine which is great for pain relief without medication and is not an expensive bit of kit to buy!

barb1946 Mon 11-May-20 10:40:44

oops!!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Mon 11-May-20 10:37:14

I enquired at a well known health food store about turmeric but was told it wasn't suitable for those with gall bladder problems or for those, like me, who have had to have it removed. I was really hoping, when I opened this post, that someone had discovered a home miracle cure for stiffness and sore joints! Last Nov/Dec I woke up with a horrible pain down 1 side of my neck, probably caused by sleeping awkwardly and thought it would sort itself out. Wrong - I've still got it, was thinking of making a rare visit to the GP then lockdown happened. I also suffer from pain in 1 hip, and often both sets of pain interfere with my sleeping, or wake me up. I guess getting older isn't helping as I also suffer from grumbly knees so weightbearing exercise isn't really much of an option. Lockdown has prevented me from my usual exercise (swimming and motorcycling), and I just feel everything is just seizing up and getting stiffer and more painful. I've tried walking but then suffered even more with the hip pain (like nagging toothache). Before anyone comments about the motorcycling not being exercise, there are numerous studies showing this to have equivalent benefits and calories use to walking but without the pain! So if anyone has found something other than turmeric which helps with joint pain, I'd love to know and give it a try.

Davida1968 Mon 11-May-20 10:36:27

PS And you are having more milk. Milk has calcium - good for the bones!

Davida1968 Mon 11-May-20 10:35:27

Maybe its the turmeric? (I take this daily ) but I'm guessing it's probably a combination of factors. As others say, are you taking more daily exercise? I've been undertaking a daily walk and I think this is helping me. Also, under"shut-down" we are eating very sensibly - all home-cooked meals with fresh veggies, delivered from the farm shop. Have you lost a bit of weight? - we both have, and that's very helpful for joint pain.

Mollygo Mon 11-May-20 10:21:24

I feel a lot fitter with all this daily walking, but we take JointCare, not the one with turmeric as that didn’t exist when we started.

If you’ve been walking more, that might account for it-or even the Martini. I hope the effect lasts for more than one overnight.

barb1946 Mon 11-May-20 10:19:36

I also have read that turmeric is good for joint pain etc. So glad to hear it has worked for you. I will definitely start taking it to help my knee now I know of someone who has had relief. Going for long walks would be wonderful ……. I wish.

marionk Mon 11-May-20 10:10:56

I had this along with a feeling of extreme tiredness for over 6 weeks and I had just got a Drs appointment when we went into lockdown - I cancelled the appointment as I thought there would be many more in greater need than me and within a week I came out the other side - I do wonder if it was this ‘mild’ dose of Covid they keep talking about.