Gransnet forums

Health

Paracetamol

(54 Posts)
ExD Wed 13-May-20 12:21:25

If this had been raised before, please point me to it - I seem to have a habit of raising matters that have already been discussed.
What does paracetamol actually DO?

TerriBull Wed 13-May-20 12:23:56

Lowers temperature and pain relief.

Fennel Wed 13-May-20 12:27:00

Maybe it's because it lowers temperature - it also makes me drowsy so I sometimes take one during the night to help me get back to sleep.

ExD Wed 13-May-20 12:28:33

.... that posted before I intended ....
Every time I have any medical procedure I'm told to go home and take paracetamol. It might be a dental procedure, an injection, back pain, or a sprained ankle. Its dolled out for everything.
But as far as I can see, it has no effect at all.
I have no faith in it, it doesn't even help with headaches.
So why is it recommended for Covid? They say it brings down your temperature ....... does it? Who says so? How do they know?
It seems to be the fall-back treatment for everything and I'm not sure I like our reliance on it.

ExD Wed 13-May-20 12:31:04

How strange, it doesn't even make me drowsy and certainly has no pain relieving effects on my back.

EllanVannin Wed 13-May-20 12:36:41

If you're not accustomed to taking painkillers then it'll work but if you take painkillers on a regular basis the body gets immune to them and they won't work as efficiently, if at all.

Last week I had a bit of a dull headache ( sinus usually ) and because I hadn't taken paracetamol since December/January,I took 2 and the headache was gone within the hour, so I'd say yes, they do work.

midgey Wed 13-May-20 12:37:08

It is a known fact that paracetamol works for some people more effectively than others.

BlueSky Wed 13-May-20 13:00:29

I know in hospital paracetamol seems to be given routinely at night to help people sleep. I started doing it myself till the shortage caused by Covid. I don't intend to restart now. It's cheap and doesn't cause the stomach upset caused by Ibuprofen but it hasn't got anti inflammatory properties.

Loislovesstewie Wed 13-May-20 13:06:25

I can't take the prescription only co-codomol. It sends me to sleep for about 4 hours at a time, I can't keep my eyes open, ibuprofen makes me sick , paracetamol works. my DH takes ibuprofen as it works for him as does co-codomol and he stays awake! I think it is very much an individual thing as to whether painkillers work ( or not).

JackyB Wed 13-May-20 13:14:56

I'm very wary of Paracetamol. I thought I heard it was dangerous for kidneys and such. I only ever take Ibuprofen, but try to limit it as I have a sensitive digestive system.

However, as a couple of people have already said, if you're not used to it, it can be quite effective. I borrowed some from my DiL once, when I was staying with them, and they got rid of the headache quickly.

MiniMoon Wed 13-May-20 13:36:07

Paracetamol is a very safe drug. It's only dangerous if you take more than 8 in 24 hours. An overdose damages the liver.
A friend of mine has a brother who decided to take his own life, he took a huge overdose of paracetamol and then regretted his decision. He had to have a liver transplant.
I have to say I dont take it very often as it doesn't work well for me. I prefer ibuprofen.

Jane10 Wed 13-May-20 15:00:47

I took paracetamol as my only pain relief after my last knee replacement. I found it worked very well. I did take the max daily dose and stopped altogether as soon as possible. It seems to work well on soft tissue pain.

Fennel Wed 13-May-20 17:35:21

I ran out of paracetamol last weekend and on Monday went to the pharmacy to buy some more. I bought the last lot there, no problems, but this time they said you have to get a doctor's prescription for it.
After that went to the small Tesco near us and they had some.
Strange.

grannysyb Wed 13-May-20 17:58:53

When I had my hip done I was given paracetamol and ibuprofen together four hourly! Helped with the pain, but sometimes I asked for extra relief at night and was given morphine. My understanding is that ibuprofen is for inflammation and that paracetamol helps with bone pain. Using quite a lot of paracetamol at the moment as tripped 2 weeks ago and now have a broken wrist.

MayBee70 Wed 13-May-20 18:05:42

Paracetamol reduces fever but fever is there to fight infection. So shouldn't be taken [in adults] if one catches covid19, unless the temperature gets dangerously high. If someone has taken paracetamol and has to go to hospital the medics will get a false temperature reading. Also if temperature scanners are used to detect covid in airports, shops etc infected people will not be picked up.

janeainsworth Wed 13-May-20 18:19:19

If you're using paracetamol for pain relief, it's best to take it before the pain gets really bad. If you wait until you're in agony with something, it won't work as well.

I agree with MiniMoon, it's only dangerous if you take more than the recommended dose.

MayBee70 Wed 13-May-20 18:21:57

And it isn't quite as important to take it with food whereas it's really dangerous to take ibuprofen on an empty stomach.

Glorybee Wed 13-May-20 18:25:23

I agree Maybe70, I didn’t take anything to bring down fever when I was ill, as I wanted my body to ‘do its thing’ and fight it without any hindrance.

watermeadow Wed 13-May-20 20:15:59

Paracetamol never did anything for me until I got old, when it miraculously worked, especially if taken with Ibuprofen.
I avoid Ibuprofen because it upsets my stomach, even though I always take Omeprazole at the same time.
I’ve got bad toothache now and trying to last until bedtime when I’ll take one of each.

Poppyred Wed 13-May-20 20:19:59

Paracetamol is not known to cause drowsiness??

MawB Wed 13-May-20 20:32:53

Easy enough to google paracetamol OP but if you want to know what it does, here you are
Paracetamol, also known as acetaminophen and APAP, is a medication used to treat pain and fever. It is typically used for mild to moderate pain relief. Evidence is mixed for its use to relieve fever in children. It is often sold in combination with other medications, such as in many cold medications

Overdosing can (does) cause liver damage which is often irreparable and a very unpleasant way to commit suicide.

janeainsworth Wed 13-May-20 20:56:04

Paracetamol is not known to cause drowsiness??
You’re right Poppyred. It doesn’t.

Luckygirl Wed 13-May-20 23:21:08

I have professional experience of someone overdosing on this and being glad that they were resuscitated - only to die slowly and miserably from liver disease. It is a very effective drug at the right dosage - but very dangerous in overdose - and not even a big overdose. I do not think people realise this, as it can be bought for so little everywhere.

travelsafar Thu 14-May-20 12:10:45

I take paracetamol along with prescribed painkillers and it is safe to do so. I actually prefer Ibuprofen which were recommended by hospital consultant for arthritic pain, but my Gp says not to take as they are dangerous once you are over 65. Anyone else been told this??

Fennel Thu 14-May-20 12:53:49

I don't know about over 65 but I was advised not to take it as I have a snall stomach ulcer that comes and goes. ibuprofen is believed to aggravate stomach complaints.