Gransnet forums

Health

Paracetamol

(55 Posts)
ExD Wed 13-May-20 12:21:25

If this had been raised before, please point me to it - I seem to have a habit of raising matters that have already been discussed.
What does paracetamol actually DO?

watermeadow Mon 18-May-20 20:37:44

I had bad toothache last week. The dentist can’t treat me but wrote a prescription for antibiotic and I started taking Ibuprofen, with Omeprazole, instead of Paracetamol.
The relief was very fast and within 2 days my tooth had settled down.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 18-May-20 21:27:21

I agree it didn't do anything for my back either. I am now at long last pain free, due to two slipped discs, and its all down to a tablet they give you for depression, but I have it on a lower dose and you take it at night as it makes you sleepy for a while. A wonderful tablet for me.

lemsip Tue 19-May-20 09:21:41

if you have bad pain such as toothache paracetamol on it's own is no good, you need a painkiller with the word EXTRA onpacket, paracetamol, aspirin and caffeine for instance which is anadin or nurofen.

felice Tue 19-May-20 11:51:23

If you take Omeprazole with medication it does not work properly I take anti-inflammatory every day and was told by my consultant to take the Omeprazole 20 to 30 minutes before taking anything else. I have been taking it for years with no problems at all.
A dear friend on a cocktail of drugs was taking them all at the same time and feeling awful afterwards, once she started taking them 20 minutes apart she felt better and they started to work better too.