Gransnet forums

Health

Would you go for a blood test?

(86 Posts)
Antonia Sat 16-May-20 12:47:21

I am due for a blood test in June at my surgery, and have sent a message asking what precautions they are taking there, and if the nurse giving the test will be wearing PPE. I am undecided at the moment whether to go or not. Has anyone else been for a blood test, and what was your experience?

Coco51 Sun 17-May-20 12:25:38

Yes I did - and the nurse’s behaviour left me very worried. Came out wearing gloves and plastic apron and a mask. Opened the outside door to take me in, tapped on the keyboard, took my blood, tapped on the keyboard again, then took me out opening the door ’so I wouldn’t have to touch anything’. all wearing the same gloves. Now, if she chamges her gloves for the next patient the new gloves are immediately contaminated by the door handle and the keyboard she touched with the gloves used for me!

Bobdoesit Sun 17-May-20 12:20:29

My neighbour had a blood test this week and messaged me to say it was incredibly well organised. This is what she said:

When we drew into the car park quite a few other cars also came in and everyone without exception had a mask of some sort on. I put my mask on and booked in with reception and she said no one was allowed to wait inside today and would I go back to the car and the nurse would come out and get me. I was duly collected and taken in. The blood nurse was in full PPE complete with visor and mask. I didn’t need to touch anything she opened all the doors with her feet. I don’t think they could do much more to protect themselves or us.

Of course, I can’t say how your surgery will handle things but I would think they are all taking precautions.

Milly Sun 17-May-20 12:18:30

I have to go for an Endoscopy at the hosp and am more anxious about catching the virus than I am about the procedure!! Any words of comfort out there?

Candelle Sun 17-May-20 11:52:47

Hi Antonia

I felt like you a few weeks ago so completely understand your question.

I rang my surgery to first of all ask if they were still undertaking routine blood tests (I have one every three months) and yes, they were, but I made the appointment with trepidation.

On arrival, I could enter a small lobby but the surgery door was closed. The receptionist came on a speaker as a disembodied voice asking me my business. I said who I was and why I was there. I was then asked my date of birth (presumably as a check) and told to enter - the door slid open.

Inside the waiting room there was.... no one. No patients at all. This was not that the doctors were on holiday, but that 'hot' and 'cold' hubs had been set up elsewhere, so patients did not attend this building.

I waited a minute or two, chatting to the Receptionist (from a huge distance!) and my name came up on the screen directing me to a nearby room - so no stairs or other bits of furniture to touch.

I opened the door with my scarf and inside the phlebotomist was fully-gowned up, including a visor, mask, apron, gloves and could barely be seen!

She took my sample and I hopped out again a few minutes later, again using my scarf to open the door.

Exiting, the door was opened for me by the Receptionist, so I touched nothing.

To be absolutely sure, I had in the car (which was opened using a different part of the scarf) some hand sanitiser which I immediately used.

Once home, I put my (clean, grrr) clothes into the washing machine.

I feel completely at ease returning for another test if the same precautions are being used.

Reading other comments here, it seems that most people who have been for a blood test are satisfied that the correct precautions are being undertaken.

Go and have your test and try not to worry!

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 17-May-20 11:49:07

A couple of weeks ago DH went to the local hospital for a blood test, says they were not wearing masks!! Anyway he's fine. Our hospital has a good record for care, so reckon the testers must have been checked beforehand.

Mamma66 Sun 17-May-20 11:36:31

I have them regularly and feel very reassured by the steps my GP surgery is taking. Try not to worry ?

sweetcakes Sun 17-May-20 11:34:19

I know what you mean I've put off my monthly blood tests for two months and I've just made a appointment for Thursday, my appointment is to last 30 minutes obviously it won't take that long I presume after your appointment is to clean down after I've left but I've to arrive on my own at 8:45 so no one else is there. Scared but they have to be done

grandtanteJE65 Sun 17-May-20 11:21:07

Yes, I have just had blood tests taken. The lab. staff were wearing masks and visors, as well as the usual surgical gloves.

DH had blood tests done at the GP's -same precautions taken there.

amymorris01 Sun 17-May-20 11:16:16

I went for a blood test at my GPs ,I usally go to the hospital for it, they were very good took my temp, gave me a mask before I went in the nurse was wearing PPE so I didnt feel worried at all.
My advice is go.

Lupatria Sun 17-May-20 11:14:53

i had a follow up ct scan after my op in january. they found something which they're not happy with so i had to have a pet scan and a blood test beforehand.
no form so i couldn't have the blood test - this happened twice before i was sent the blood form so i went back to the hospital for the third time in two weeks and finally had the test.
no appointment and nobody else waiting so walked straight in. nurse wore plastic apron and mask and used hand sanitiser. no sign of the virus but we've got a very low incidence here.
i'm shielded but needed the scans for my health - op in january was to remove a kidney with a cancerous growth so i'm so pleased that i'm having follow up checks.

SiobhanSharpe Sun 17-May-20 11:14:18

MY surgery no longer does routine blood tests, we're sent to a local hospital instead.
My annual test was due last month and i was told the hospital was not doing any routine bloods at all and i would have to wait until they restart.
Luckily my GP reauthorised all my meds for a further six months.

moobox Sun 17-May-20 11:13:58

My mother has had home visits from a nurse for blood tests and a doctor. No PPE worn

JaneRn Sun 17-May-20 11:10:28

Daughter had to take one of her dogs to a new surgery for a quite complicated examination. Vet was wearing full PPE!

blondenana Sun 17-May-20 11:09:31

Mine was cancelled,also my sons were too

nipsmum Sun 17-May-20 11:03:49

Yes I've had 2 blood tests and have one booked for next Thursday. I phone the surgery when I'm near and let them know I will be there shortly. Someone comes to the door and let's me in. I'm given a mask and asked to use hand sanitiser and the nurse takes the required blood sample. Simple, straightforward and certainly nothing to worry about.

Aepgirl Sun 17-May-20 10:55:32

Of course you must go for a blood test. Your doctor clearly thinks it important for the benefit of your health and any treatment needed.

As for the optician, I think I would delay that for a while - optical examinations are very close to your face and personally I would avoid that.

Harris27 Sun 17-May-20 10:53:33

My husbands diabetes check is well overdue the one where they test his eyes with the drops. Said it might be august was due in April.

mphammersley Sun 17-May-20 10:47:08

I go for my INR blood test, usually at the pathology lab at the hospital. The first one I went for during lockdown they ran in the outpatients department with strict social distancing signs on seats and very few people there. The nurse who took my blood told me to book in for my next one at a more local blood clinic, which I did, it was a community centre, and you waited in the large hall and seats were set out for social distancing. You went inside he door and out of another. Nurses wore masks and gloves, gloves they changed after every patient. I have to go again in June. I wore a mask and gloves too, as an extra precaution, but nurse did say as long as I wash my hands or use anti bac gloves are so essential. Your health is important so do not miss an appointment that is important to you. If are really concerned, come home put all your clothes in the wash and shower.

Applegran Sun 17-May-20 10:36:53

Yes! I've been for a blood test and felt safe - its not worth missing something which might turn out to be important for your overall health. I've also been briefly to a large hospital - almost no patients to be seen and instant access to the help I needed.

mumagain Sun 17-May-20 10:34:35

Yes , I would . I’m shielding as my immune system is knackered. I’ve had to cancel a hospital appointment as it would mean two bus journeys and a train journey to get there and back but if it was closer I’d definitely go

westwoodirene1215 Sun 17-May-20 10:18:38

I went for my B12 injection
You couldn’t have felt safer
They allow a lot of time in between appointment to disinfectant and change ppe Only I receptionist
In and out in 5mins

Craftycat Sun 17-May-20 10:17:39

Yes I would go- the surgeries will be fully compliant with safety issues.
Just don't be surprised if they cancel unless it is very urgent as they are up to their ears at the moment.

hicaz46 Sun 17-May-20 10:15:29

Yes I've had a blood test. Only 2 other people in waiting room so well able to socially distance. Door opened by staff when I arrived. Nurse doing blood test had protective gear on and I wore a mask and gloves. Not sure if that helped but it made me feel better. Go ahead, I'm sure all surgeries take adequate precautions/

4allweknow Sun 17-May-20 10:10:45

Yes and all the medical staff were in full PPE. Door to surgery locked, only gained access by person on reception opening door (she had mask and gloves on) after seeing nurse for test directed to exit building by the side door so no encountering with others. Don't know what they will be doing by June but at the moment felt safe.

chrissie13 Sun 17-May-20 10:09:26

Like Ramblingrose22, my husband had a nurse come to our house to take his blood, and we weren't too pleased either. She came breezing in with her mask round her neck, and only bothered to put it up when she actually took his blood. Though saying that, he had another nurse come to do an injection for him a couple of weeks later and she had the full PPE on and was very professional.