Gransnet forums

Health

Would you go for a blood test?

(85 Posts)
joannapiano Sat 16-May-20 14:05:12

DH has just finished a course of chemo and has a compromised immune system. He had to go to our GPs for an injection. We waited in the car park, the nurse came out to collect him fully gowned up, and he was taken through the “red zone”. He was back again 5 mins later. Hand sanitisers and masks were provided at the entrance. All fine.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 16-May-20 13:50:39

Yes

MerylStreep Sat 16-May-20 13:12:43

Yes, and a B12 injection. Of course the nurse was wearing PPE, why wouldn't she?

Cabbie21 Sat 16-May-20 13:12:06

I have been for a ( delayed) blood test. It was very well organised, met at the door, questioned as to why I had come, only let in for a specific reason, sanitiser just inside the door. I was told where to wait and there were only two others so plenty of space. The nurse was wearing a mask and used hand sanitiser before and after taking blood. I asked her if she knew if there were many cases locally and she said she had not come across any herself. All very safe and reassuring.

wildswan16 Sat 16-May-20 13:11:57

If your blood test is necessary (to ensure correct medication etc) then of course you should attend. If it is something that is done, e.g. annually, then I am sure it could wait.

Your GP surgery is the best place to ask. If you do attend, then remember that they will be taking all necessary precautions - they don't want you infecting their staff or vice versa.

GagaJo Sat 16-May-20 13:10:35

I would only go if it was essential. If it was something I could put off for a couple of months, I would.

UNLESS the conditions are those Greenfinch have described. Then I'd go. That sounds very safe.

Greenfinch Sat 16-May-20 13:06:48

I go every week for my I N R blood tests and have it done in the car park The phlebotomist has a mask and a visor. She is in the open air and I am inside mycar. I feel perfectly safe even though I am shielding. Go fo it !

Greeneyedgirl Sat 16-May-20 12:54:43

Probably much safer than going to supermarket.

BlueBelle Sat 16-May-20 12:51:51

Yes go, the doctors Surgery will be the most aware place you can go, I wouldn’t even question it..... but up to you of course Pharmacies are totally shielded, so why wouldn’t surgeries be.

Antonia Sat 16-May-20 12:47:21

I am due for a blood test in June at my surgery, and have sent a message asking what precautions they are taking there, and if the nurse giving the test will be wearing PPE. I am undecided at the moment whether to go or not. Has anyone else been for a blood test, and what was your experience?