Gransnet forums

Health

Irregular heartbeat /leaky upper valve

(33 Posts)
annep1 Tue 19-May-20 23:21:41

I've been told I have these and that a letter is being sent to the doctor to issue beta blockers.

This was a telephone call from the cardiologist two weeks ago. If I had been able to have a face to face appointment I could have got more information.

The echocardiogram was done in January 2019 and she said it needs to be repeated and monitored. The 24hour monitor showed the irregularity. I only got results last week. I wish I had gone private, would have been quicker.

I rang the surgery today and the letter hasn't reached them yet. Can anyone throw any light on this? I can't find much online.

annep1 Thu 28-May-20 09:12:57

Thanks Puzzler for your kind words.

Thanks Lemongrove. And yes it is good to ask It took me a while to pluck up courage, but every single person understood and was more helpful than I expected. A lesson learnt.

Jabberwok Sat 30-May-20 15:10:47

I too have found this thread very helpful and reassuring, I've periodically had an irregular heart beat for many years. It usually clears itself and doesn't cause trouble, but three days ago I woke feeling lightheaded and soon after registered a heart beat of 92! By the afternoon it was 104 at which point I rang the surgery spoke to the duty Dr who had me straight down for an emergency ECG. This showed a racing heart, arrrhythmia, missed heart beat and a beat that thumped!! I'm now on a beta blocker which has certainly steadied things up! heart rate now 73! Appointment on Monday for another check and a chat?!! At least reading these posts I'm not the only one which has made me less anxious! Thank You all.?

annep1 Sun 31-May-20 22:52:23

JabberwokGoodness that was very scary. I've neever had anything like that. I'm glad you acted quickly - and the doctor too. A follow up appointment, we don't get many of those nowadays!
I got my betablockers yesterday and haven't started yet. I'm nervous about side effects, I often get them with pills. How have you been with yours? I'm glad they're helping.

annep1 Sun 31-May-20 22:53:58

Having said that you have made me realise how important it is to start them.

Jabberwok Wed 03-Jun-20 12:21:32

Hi annepl. Good to read your post. As a follow up, blood tests for potential kidney and thyroid problems came back negative which was good, another protein (?!!) that affects heart function was a bit down but not enough to cause a heart attack. My heart rate has certainly stabilised, but to be on the safe side I was fitted with a heart monitor for 24 hours to check for any hidden abnormalities. I had this take off yesterday afternoon and the GP is ringing me on Friday for a chat!!
I'm on a very low dose beta, and although it's early days so far I've been fine, and its certainly calmed down my over enthusiastic heart beat which fingers crossed, appears to be normal! It was a frightening episode and although I can understand your reluctance , for me the beta did the trick!

annep1 Wed 03-Jun-20 18:33:05

Hi Jabberwok I'm glad to hear the betas are helping you. I hope it continues that way. You are getting very good support too, which must be reassuring.
I did see sense eventually and started mine on Monday although I cut the pill in half and took 2.5 mg. I think I will do that for a week and then increase it.
Sending you best wishes.

Jabberwok Wed 03-Jun-20 19:09:11

annepl ?? ☀️☀️.