Gransnet forums

Health

Thoughtless neighbour.

(57 Posts)
NanKate Thu 28-May-20 14:00:06

Yesterday I was standing in excess of 2 metres from a neighbour who is in her 50s and I am in my 70s. She was on her front lawn which is open plan to mine 2 gardens away.

At the end of our conversation she said ‘I think I have had the virus as I have had a temperature, cough, shortness of breath and fatigue. I’ve have just done the test with the rest of the family and am awaiting the results.’ ?

I finished the conversation quickly and went indoors. I think she should have told me immediately the situation. She was reclining on the ground so let’s hope no bugs floated up to me. ?

Doodledog Fri 29-May-20 10:14:19

What are people to do if they have had the virus? Stay out of their own gardens for ever?

If there had been any suspicion that she had the virus, then she should stay away from others, but two gardens away sounds pretty safe to me.

I am fed up with hearing about how 'stupid' other people are. It's like Brexit all over again.

Aepgirl Fri 29-May-20 10:16:22

How selfish of her. What was she even doing going out to the front of her house? Hopefully you were far enough away from her. Hope you are well.

NannyG123 Fri 29-May-20 10:16:43

I read it as think I had, so she thinks she had it, not has it. So she may have already isolated. I wouldn't worry too much. The fact that she's had a test done to me means she does care enough. Some people have had it and not been tested. A lot of people tho not abiding by the rules. think it will be worse now that 6 people can mix outside. I know people that have been doing that for a while.

notnecessarilywiser Fri 29-May-20 10:17:24

Like others, I'm pretty sure the distance and lack of coughing etc will mean that you were not in any peril, NanKate, but I'm aghast that anyone would be lying down in their front garden! grin

Worthingpatchworker Fri 29-May-20 10:22:46

I think the lesson here is....treat everyone as though they’ve got it....
Even having the test is no better than an MOT on your car. Valid for the time of the test. Anything can alter thereafter.

Daisymae Fri 29-May-20 10:26:08

Sounds like past tense. A percentage of people have had it.

NemosMum Fri 29-May-20 10:28:35

Stop worrying - you are perfectly safe. She kept her distance, she didn't rush over and snog you! This reminds me of the hysteria about AIDS - remember that?

dizzyblonde Fri 29-May-20 10:31:08

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/what-to-do-if-you-or-someone-you-live-with-has-coronavirus-symptoms/when-to-self-isolate-and-what-to-do/
Advice on self isolation from 111. You are allowed in your garden.

montymops Fri 29-May-20 10:42:14

If you do get the virus Quizqueen and I hope you won’t- you will probably not feel like going out anywhere even your garden- I speak from experience and a very unpleasant one it was.

Jishere Fri 29-May-20 11:25:55

This is very wierd although you seem at a safe distance why tell u at the end of conversation and not beginning?
If she's this flippant wonder what else she has done? Or who else have passed by her garden?
No words

Tillybelle Fri 29-May-20 11:29:34

NanKate. I think she was wrong not to tell you from the start. However, I feel comfortable that you kept the right distance - and more - and that you would not have been able to pick up any virus if she is still shedding it. It sounds as if she is better in fact. I would put your mind at rest. Do keep enjoying the lovey weather. It is good for our health I am sure.

Grannynannywanny Fri 29-May-20 11:30:38

Pamela my apologies for contradicting you about the garden during isolation. That piece of info escaped me.

Thanks for link Dizzyblonde.

Yogadatti Fri 29-May-20 11:50:27

I am sure you will be ok....but nevertheless I think your neighbour is one of those selfish people who thinks of herself , not anyone else. Is it so terrible to stay indoors for 14days to just make sure you can’t pass the virus on ? and the woman shouldn’t have been outside at all , if she is awaiting results it means it’s been a recent thing.....

ALANaV Fri 29-May-20 12:26:16

Oh dear.... more judgemental posts …...with tsuch as 'I am terrified of doing this, that, or the other how on earth do you expect everything to get back to a semblance of normality ? ..there comes a time when you have to be sensible and not resort to mass hysteria …….

Sussexborn Fri 29-May-20 12:40:54

Kettle, pot, black ALANaV.

Sussexborn Fri 29-May-20 12:43:41

The rules seem quite clear to the majority of people but not to the 20% who choose to flout them.

Most of the posters who make a stand against the angry brigade have been seen off unfortunately.

Lancslass1 Fri 29-May-20 13:02:33

Nan Kate
Don't worry.
The virus cannot jump two metres.
Don't reckon it can jump one!
If it could there would have been far more people with it.

Dareyouto Fri 29-May-20 13:28:53

Your neighbour was 2 gardens away and in her own garden. No problem whatsoever as she was more than complying with current safety regulations.
I cannot see a problem at all.

Magrithea Fri 29-May-20 13:37:37

You're highly unlikely to have caught it!!! I'm sure if you'd moved closer she would have warned you off!

Liljan Fri 29-May-20 13:42:09

I’ve been working on my family tree and I’m thinking about doing a DNA test, has anyone done this, did you find out anything you didn’t know already and who gives the most accurate info...I was thinking of using Ancestry.com.

Gaunt47 Fri 29-May-20 13:46:18

The virus cannot survive in the open air.
Someone would have to be close to you, coughing or sneezing into your face for you to catch the virus.
The 'miasma' theory was dropped about 200 years ago.

Liljan Fri 29-May-20 13:46:19

Apologies for the above post, was trying to start a new post and don’t know what happened, I’ll try again...wishing you well Nankate

Marilii Fri 29-May-20 14:02:21

After seeing so many people online on different social media sites admitting that they are reporting neighbors for breaking social distancing guidelines, I no longer wonder how Germans under Hitler could bring themselves to report their fellow human beings such as gypsies, Jewish people and a host of others. They were simply told by their government that these people, by their behaviors/actions, were endangering them and their families lives and to report them to the authorities for safety's sake. The people willingly complied. I wish today's people would shut off their televisions, start their computers and go to news sites which aren't heavily regulated by their governments and begin comparing the "official" narrative about this virus with information about it which has been and is still being censored or downplayed by their mainline news stations because it doesn't fit the official version. Exaggeration producing fear is an awesome weapon when in the hands of government officials who have a One-World government agenda. Hundreds of thousands of doctors are being censored right and left, their videos being pulled off face book, youtube, google, because they are telling people to take off face masks when home and when outside in their yards; that our immune systems will be damaged by the amounts of carbon dioxide which masks make us inhale. Bitchute dot com has many of these videos still viewable because bitchute doesn't censor. Any casual search will bring some of them to light for your perusal.

Dareyouto Fri 29-May-20 14:25:06

Well said Marilii!
The best thing about being a pensioner is having the time on my hands to go in search of other news and alternative views to what our biased media are saying.
I am quite new to posting and only use an iPad so don’t know what the equivalent of Control and enter is on my virtual keyboard to answer you direct.

Gaunt47 Fri 29-May-20 14:47:32

Dareyouto you don't necessarily have to answer direct!
If you have a view which is going against the prevailing Project Fear do please post it openly. Only by bringing all sorts of thoughts and ideas into the open can we begin to emerge from this madness.