Gransnet forums

Health

Stopping breathing when asleep

(32 Posts)
Nanaju Tue 02-Jun-20 00:55:49

Hi, I often wake up gasping for a breath, my DH says I often stop breathing when I am a sleep for a few seconds, I am beginning to be scared of falling a sleep now. Anyone else experience this?

Nanna58 Tue 02-Jun-20 13:19:38

Get it checked out, my SIL did, was referred to St Thomas sleep clinic where the Consultant diagnosed sleep apnoea and said he was in dire danger of a heart attack. Since getting a clap, his life has been transformed.

Sarahmob Tue 02-Jun-20 13:30:46

My husband has sleep apnoea and has a mouth guard which he wears at night. No more sleep apnoea and no more snoring. Bliss!

Mum1957 Tue 02-Jun-20 14:58:16

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 3 years ago. I’ve been permanently exhausted for about 10 years! Being vain I was reluctant to use the mask, but now couldn’t be without it x good luck

Forestflame Tue 02-Jun-20 18:42:26

I also used to wake up gasping. Losing weight really helped, but you should also get checked out by the Doc.

songstress60 Tue 02-Jun-20 18:55:19

It's called Sleep Apnea and it's caused by smoking or being overweight, but you can get a sleeping mask. You would do well to get yourself fitter.

KathrynP Tue 02-Jun-20 22:48:29

With regard to the DVLA, my husband’s driving licence was due to expire as he reached 77 yrs old. I went on line to renew it for him as I had done twice and was surprised to find that there was a question we hadn’t seen before ... “Do you suffer from sleep apnoea?” We had to tick yes as he has been using a CPAP machine (not because he has smoked or is overweight but because he has a deviated septum which cannot be repaired) for at least ten years. There was nowhere to explain that you were following a treatment plan. We sent off the form and received a letter 7 days later banning him from driving until he had had a medical examination and been cleared for driving. We went to see his consultant privately or he would have had to wait at least three months. As it was he had to wait 3 months for to get his licence back. This had never happened before. Fortunately I can drive but I dread to think what would have happened if I couldn’t or if he had been employed and needed to drive. So if you are coming up to 70 and need to renew your licence make sure you apply in good time , at least 3 months in advance.